Looking to buy an E-Flite S 15e as a first timer (in Doncaster)

Russ Bates

For 1 plane = 1 transmitter thats fine it will work, Spektrum is a good make. As a more experienced flyer it lacks dual rates, expo, model memory to name but a few. If you can afford better then buy better would be my advice. However if you are going to stick with the one plane as said earlier it will be fine. As for App I dont know.

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/12/2016 22:52:10:

Armthorpe ? where you born there ? 18 Briar Rd born n raised smiley

John

This is going back over 30 years to my Finningley days. I got quite involved in the club at Barnby Dunn, and did more instructing than flying there. The number escapes me, but it was Oakwood Drive on the estate behind the library.

I never thought I would find myself on a forum defending Spectrum, but the DX5e has everything I like about a trainer set. The case and sticks are "normal quality", and the one dual rate switch reduces both the elevator and aileron (or rudder in rudder/elevator). The Tx also has a trainer facility, and I was very tempted to buy a second one, both dedicated to a "have a go" trainer. Mine has been hugely economical on 4 AA batteries (used indoors), and the voltage indicator is very useful, being progressive. I have my DX5e bound to a number of models, and adjust the control linkages on each individual model in the old fashioned way. I would be very happy to have bought the DX5e as a part of a Ready to Fly set.

I do agree that for anyone planning to stay in the hobby, rather than "having a go", then a Tx with multiple model memories is the way to go. Having spent the extra money, I would then just be wary of going too cheap, and missing out on features that are desirable in the longer term - I have a number of transmitters in my collection....

Hope that is more help than muddying the waters!

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 25/12/2016 20:22:56:

Yep remember the B/Dun club, i took Simon Howard/Howarth ? for his B test when he wanted to enter aerobatics.

I have fond memories of the Howarths, they were quite big in Barnby Dunn at the time, and I have seen them at shows more recently.

Back on topic!

Sandra may still have a copy of the Pelikan Skylady instructions. I wrote the flight instructions intended for anyone wanting to "go it alone", and we know that those instructions worked. A key point is that for landing you line up the model into wind, and keep it gliding in a stable straight line until it settles to the ground - and that may be some considerable distance away (in hundreds of metres).

We have some very large commons around here in rural South Gloucestershire, but even then, my advice is always to join a club...

I have sent an enquiry to Doncaster Model Flying Club, nothing against your suggestion Iqon, DMFC are (I think) in the next village just a few minutes away so it makes sense. As you've probably worked out from that, Don Valley are on the far side of town centre to me.

Regarding transmitters, I think if I progress I will try to go for something above the DX6e. I know what I'm like, and I'll have seen something bigger and shinier. I'm guessing I'll be 6-12+ months away from that and being so inexpensive I'll get more than my monies worth out of the DXe between now and then plus if it ends up gathering dust, I wouldn't regret it. I'll keep pondering on it, but that's my gut instinc even though I can see it really a one plans transmitter (profiles can be uploaded in the field from a smartphone but not tweaked or created on the spot from what I can tell, they have to be configured on PC before hand - I think?)

Thanks again to all, I'll let you know how I get on

Posted by Russ Bates on 26/12/2016 21:54:22:

...Regarding transmitters, I think if I progress I will try to go for something above the DX6e. I know what I'm like, and I'll have seen something bigger and shinier. I'm guessing I'll be 6-12+ months away from that and being so inexpensive I'll get more than my monies worth out of the DXe between now and then plus if it ends up gathering dust, I wouldn't regret it. I'll keep pondering on it, but that's my gut instinc even though I can see it really a one plans transmitter (profiles can be uploaded in the field from a smartphone but not tweaked or created on the spot from what I can tell, they have to be configured on PC before hand - I think?)

If you really do see this as a TX that will be used only for the model you are buying it with then yes, a DXe probably is ok. Just don't be seduced by the "programming from your phone" thing - it sounds like a great idea in theory, but in practice has been very badly executed by Horizon Hobby, with late/non-existent upgrades to the app and many bugs. It is also a set that is extremely limited by design - it does have features like dual rates and elevon mixing, but many are locked down with non-adjustable percentages which make tuning the model to your tastes is impossible. I looked at one when they first came out with the idea it could be used with bind and fly UMX and indoor quads, but once the early adopters began to report back I quickly dispensed with the idea.

Edited By MattyB on 26/12/2016 23:32:44

The guys advice Russ is to give your interest longevity and continuity in the hobby, that you don't just invest unwisely where the interest fizzles out. The advice is to have a model, the equipment and a base to give you a future of progression, they are a careing bunch of lads. Weigh up the options, and a club will save you an awful lot of time and money in decision making.

Posted by MattyB on 26/12/2016 23:31:11:

It is also a set that is extremely limited by design - it does have features like dual rates and elevon mixing, but many are locked down with non-adjustable percentages which make tuning the model to your tastes is impossible.

I looked at one when they first came out with the idea it could be used with bind and fly UMX and indoor quads, but once the early adopters began to report back I quickly dispensed with the idea.

And that's EXACTLY what I did. I was seduced by friends to fly indoors, and decided on the Horizon UMX models as the only models of adequate quality that could be flown in our tiny indoor spaces. I actually have one of the "game controller" style Tx that came with one of my models, but I DID buy the DX5e for use with these models. Yes, the dual rate is pre-set, but it is the one switch that changes both, and the reduction is sensible - I have used this Tx a LOT in both high and low rate, and I would buy it again for use with the indoor UMX models. In the DX5e, we are talking about a £35 Tx (from my friends at Model Shop Leeds), that works very well for me with simple low cost models, has a quality feel, and has proved to be 100% reliable.

I have never seen anything about programming of the DX5e. I wouldn't personally buy it for anything that needs mixing either.

Taking this further in terms of radio I trust, and I believe offer value for money:

In the middle range, I would be buying something like the Hitec 7 which offers most of the features I have ever used. I have used and sold masses of Hitec servos, and cannot remember more than a couple of returns - including the servo returned as "faulty" covered in glue and paint with a stripped gear..... My boat racing Tx was a Hitec Skysport 6 because of it's model memories and light weight (now used by Sandra for her scale model boats - and we would buy another). A friend who is tech support for three different radio ranges has chosen the top of range Hitec as his personal radio - and I would be quite happy with that,

For my "serious" models (1kg to 10kg), I cannot see myself using anything other than Jeti, which offers exceptional quality that I have not seen in any other radio - and they get it out "on the street" at a very low price, actually too low a price....

Again, I have no commercial interest in anything mentioned in this post - with the exception of a few servos....

Posted by John Emms - Puffin Models on 27/12/2016 14:39:03:
Posted by MattyB on 26/12/2016 23:31:11:

It is also a set that is extremely limited by design - it does have features like dual rates and elevon mixing, but many are locked down with non-adjustable percentages which make tuning the model to your tastes is impossible.

I looked at one when they first came out with the idea it could be used with bind and fly UMX and indoor quads, but once the early adopters began to report back I quickly dispensed with the idea.

And that's EXACTLY what I did. I was seduced by friends to fly indoors, and decided on the Horizon UMX models as the only models of adequate quality that could be flown in our tiny indoor spaces. I actually have one of the "game controller" style Tx that came with one of my models, but I DID buy the DX5e for use with these models. Yes, the dual rate is pre-set, but it is the one switch that changes both, and the reduction is sensible - I have used this Tx a LOT in both high and low rate, and I would buy it again for use with the indoor UMX models. In the DX5e, we are talking about a £35 Tx (from my friends at Model Shop Leeds), that works very well for me with simple low cost models, has a quality feel, and has proved to be 100% reliable.

I have never seen anything about programming of the DX5e. I wouldn't personally buy it for anything that needs mixing either.

Again, I have no commercial interest in anything mentioned in this post - with the exception of a few servos....

John, I said it on the previous page but you seem to have missed it... the DX5e and the DXe are NOT the same set, they are completely different TXs. All my answers were receding to the DXe, but by referring them interchangeably you are confusing any newcomers reading this thread.

The DXe is much more recent, and is designed around a completely different philosophy - instead of configuring it via buttons, switches and a screen on the TX it is linked to a smartphone. Canned setups can be downloaded from HHS website and pushed to the TX for specific models and some very limited configuration done in the app itself. Sounds great in theory and it would b had they ex cured it well, but in reality it's been somewhat of a disaster for them given issues with the apps n should me platforms and the locking down of even very basic functions like adjusting %s of dual rates which many users have found very frustrating, hence why I could never recommend it. A DX5e by contrast is Amo honest workhorse - basic in functionality and built to a price, but does what it says on the tin.

Posted by MattyB on 24/12/2016 20:06:43:
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/12/2016 15:20:27:

There you go Russ. Two out of two recommend not buying the DX5 transmitter, so that's potentially money saved already! yes

Not quite. I recommended against the DXe which is a very different beast to the DX5 which it has effectively replaced. Neither are a good choice for anyone planning to stay in the hobby for the long term however, particularly the DXe which given the locked down functionality and lack of user configurability from the TX itself is likely to deliver a very frustrating experience (take a look at the RCGroups thread for examples aplenty).

Links above showing the differences between the two TXs...

Take a look at this link **LINK** we have just moved here. Not currently showing on the BMFA club finder as when we moved here a couple of months ago our club disappeared but didn't reappear with the new location, have spoken to the BMFA today to try and get them to correct it rather than remove us.

Great place to fly with virtually no restrictions, good helpful people, drive up to the strip (no carrying your stuff miles), limited membership so you are never waiting to fly, and we will teach you to fly. Welcome to come and have a go with the club trainer before you spend anything.

We also have a container with comfortable seating windows heating and full cooking facilities. Come and fly all day keep warm and cook your lunch and drink tea.

Just one last thing, you will need a sense of humour.

Sorry folks, I'm not getting notifications despite subscribing to this thread and digging around in my profile/settings.

Stephen thanks, I will keep you in mind.

My Dads got one of these training simulators with a USB remote. I'll be seeing him today so I'll grab it and see if it can do fixed wing. This is the simulator package **LINK**

Matty, Thanks for clarifying. I was not aware that the DX5e has disappeared off the Horizon site, and there is a new completely different animal called the DXe.

I also took a look at the E-Flight Apprentice package while I was on the Horizon site. My old advice has always been to find an instructor, and go with what they like and recommend - the instructor will have experience of a wide range of trainers, and not least because it is the instructor's time that the student will want for free.