Looking to buy an E-Flite S 15e as a first timer (in Doncaster)

Russ Bates

I've never flown an RC plane before, and in looking at getting one of these as it seems good for a first timer, big enough to fly outdoors and at the same time, probably enough fun if/when I get more experienced!

I'm planning on buying a package which includes an S3 3200 battery + charger and a Spektrum DXe transmitter.

My thoughts are, I'll get an extra battery, take it all up to my mum and dads on a calm day and make use of the field which is about 150x100 meters. I'll cut out a runway with the tractor and practice taxiing up and down and work up to take off speed/short takes off/landing. I'm pretty well coordinated so hopefully it'll all come fairly naturally - or I'll stack it in to the ground.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Are there any shops around Doncaster that I could get one from (or a similar training plane with assisted modes?). I was planning on buying online but it would be good to get something from a local shop who stocks spares etc.

All the best,

Russ

Advert

+1 to all of the above, plus I will add do not buy the DXe TX - they are extremely limited in functionality and will be outgrown quickly. If you want a Spektrum set the new DX6e is the lowest point to start at IMO, though personally I use and prefer FrSky gear.

Edited By MattyB on 24/12/2016 14:48:54

Hi Russ and welcome to this hobby

You could do a lot worse than visit Nitrofligh in Rotheram **LINK**

The Owner Roy and Staff are all very helpful and will make sure you get the right kit

Nothing wrong with the Apprentice, its a fantastic trainer but dont buy it as a bundle with the Dx5 Transmitter

while it will work the Dx5 is the top end of the "toy" market and quite restricted in what it can do

Better to buy a Dx6 Transmitter

As for clubs the BMFA wesbite has a club finder **LINK**

which will tell you where they are - you should also think about insurance before you fly

and as field 100m x 150mm is way too small especially for a beginner where you want a long approach glide path

Hi Russ, I bought exactly what you're looking at. If you're getting the kit with everything in it you don't get to choose your tx or battery and the 3200mah battery is perfect. It's a great plane and loads of fun.

My strong suggestion is to get the Phoenix flight simulator. Great program that you can plug your own tx in to and it has the apprentice as a standard model to fly with. Spend as many hours as possible on the sim first. You'll appreciate it when you take your own out to fly. It's scary how close to real the simulator is to the real thing.

You'll love it. Have fun and yes join a club, and yes you'll need more space.

TP

Ps. The tx is set up specifically for the AS3X and SAFE mode. That little magic switch is great for emergency recovery when you need it. The AS3X is also an awesome tool for teaching you to fly as you can progress at your own pace and you just turn up the flight mode. I know there are lots of people who hate the new technology cos they believe it doesn't teach you to REALLY fly. Each to their own, but myself I reckon it's great use of good technology and why not use the training wheels until you're ready to take them off. Great, stable fun flyer in my opinion.

In amongst the doom and gloom, I was surprised to see outright condemnation of your proposed field. The dimensions aren't that different to our club field - although we have a longer runway, the one we use 90% of the time is a maximum of 113m according to Google Earth. If your proposed field is not surrounded by trees or buildings then it may well be plenty large enough for a light training model - we operate anything up to 1/3 scale (or in the case of my flying lawnmower 1:1 scale!) from that shorter runway.

I would go along with the recommendations to go along to a club - even if you don't join there should be plenty of practical advice available if you want to go on the self-teaching route. I suspect that should you want to trust an experienced club pilot, they would be happy to do an initial trimming flight for you in order to give your first flights more chance of a happy outcome. The latest generation models seem to make this less hazardous than unassisted control BUT learning at a club is likely to give you a better appreciation of potential hazards that may not be immediately obvious, learn better practices, invaluable when you move on to more demanding models, inspiration from seeing other models and flying styles and above all else, plenty of laughs along the way.

The value of insurance can't be understated either.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/12/2016 18:33:23

The E FliteApprentice is a good choice and I have seen someone come along and fly it without help much to everyone's amazement.

You mention the field size but what matter are the obstructions round it, houses, hedges, trees etc.

The advice re transmitters is very important, follow it.

Also the\ advice to join a club. You will learn more in one afternoon there than in a month on your won and it will save you a lot of grief.

Insurance is Vital. Scratching someones car can set you back several hundred pounds. See that happen!!

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/12/2016 15:20:27:

There you go Russ. Two out of two recommend not buying the DX5 transmitter, so that's potentially money saved already! yes

Not quite. I recommended against the DXe which is a very different beast to the DX5 which it has effectively replaced. Neither are a good choice for anyone planning to stay in the hobby for the long term however, particularly the DXe which given the locked down functionality and lack of user configurability from the TX itself is likely to deliver a very frustrating experience (take a look at the RCGroups thread for examples aplenty).

Edited By MattyB on 24/12/2016 20:08:45

Had a new flier at our club with one of these, with the supplied Dx5e Tx, he flew it on this set up many times. He then changed it over to his Dx6 (new model) and he couldn't get the self leveling panic switch working (it was fine out of the box with the Dx5e).

He was safety taking off and landing the plane by himself after a few flights on beginner mode. Note on beginner mode the model self levels when you center the sticks so to turn you have to keep the stick over, very strange and sluggish if you are an experienced pilot.

There has been lots of great advice here, and by far the most important is join a club! The vital thing is getting a new model trimmed, and after that is done, things become a whole lot less traumatic. If you are insistent on going it alone, then I would strongly suggest one of the very gentle rudder elevator gliders that can have the gear transferred to something a little faster at a later date.

On transmitters, if it is packaged with a set, then I would be very happy with the DX5e for a first model. My indoor transmitter is a DX5e, and it has many features I like as a beginner set, including simplicity and low cost. For my outdoor models, I use Jeti Duplex, but that is an entirely different story!

I would not want to talk you out of using a model shop that is proven to offer great service. When I lived in Armthorpe, I used to travel to Model Shop Leeds, and I still would. If you go to Leeds, do tell them that I sent you.

I have no commercial interest AT ALL in any of the products or companies mentioned.

Good Luck!

John

I agree with Percy regarding the field size; 150mx100m is far too small for any beginner on their own in my view. Of course it depends how you define it. If that is basically just the landing area - ie the strip - and the actual flying area is much larger than than - well fine. But if that is "it" - then no way is it big enough I feel!

I'd echo most of what has been said here. Get yourself down to Don Valley - John and the lads there will look after you and instruct you in flying and safety matters etc. Believe me what ever you pay in membership you will get back 10 times over in free instruction and "saved damage" on your model! Not to mention you'll make some new friends with a a common interest to you.

BEB

I will look to join a club before going any further and will give Leeds model shop a call, as their website suggests they are out of stock of the E-flite apprentice.

I'll have a browse now at DX6e transmitter prices, I thought the DXe would be a suitable starter and I thought if/when I'm done with this plane, I'd be done with the transmitter too, and would keep them together as a set for any friends or resale as a RTF set, battery, charger et al.

Thank you everyone, I have been reading but have struggled to find time to reply during the relentless festive merriment! Lots to think about and a change of approach already thanks to your feedback.

Russ

Folks, I'm just looking at DXe transmitter, it looks to me like I can program it from my phone is this something different - when you guys say it is limited, im not sure exactly how you mean as I don't know what else would be required beyond the basic controls to fly the plane. Could someone confirm it is or isn't like the dx5 people are referencing. http://www.horizonhobby.com/dxe-transmitter-only-spmr1000

The field isn't large enough to fly within it's perimeter, fortunately, there are no surrounding houses or neighbours just open fields on all sides. The adjacent land owners have never minded me crossing fields on my bikes/hunting so long as I'm not damaging crops so I'm sure they'd be happy enough to lend me a little air space.