Setting up new field.

Glenn Philbrick

We are moving to a new site in the new year and we are trying to decide if we need to apply for change of use. The land is agricultural land at the moment although is not cultivated. We have been given a license for the first year and then if everything goes well we will get a lease for an extended period. Looking through the literature there is nothing obviously similar to our situation. The BMFA site recommends planning but I know many clubs operate without it.

We would expect to fly more than the 28 days and we have planning for the site we are leaving.

Any thoughts would be helpfull

Thanks

Before actually applying for change of use I would suggest having a chat with a planning officer that serves your local authority are. They are always helpful.

Things to bear in mind. Proximity of noise sensitive premises. access and egress on to the public highway, the LA may well require some restrictions. Noise assessment, fortunately these days have a chat with Andy Symons BMFA. are things you need to investigate before you turn a sod on your new strip.

Martin

Hi you say you have a licence for the first year , who has granted the licence? If its your LPA then fine but if its your landlord you could still run foul of the 28 day rule. It might be worth having a chat with your LPA officer. Once you approach your LPA you have flagged up your site and until then they probably won't even know your there although taking the lawful approach always proves positive when dealing with your council. Andy Simmonds  at the BMFA will advise and is helpful with council problems. He helped us to get our Cert of Lawful Use when a difficult council / planning officer was holding things up. Getting your Borough Councillor on board also helps when dealing with your council. Good luck and hope new site is a success.

Be as discrete as possible, and ensure club fees are reasonable and justified as we are largely "non profit" groups, so as not to fall foul of the " landowner\ business" title attracting VAT and Taxes. Some clubs are attracting attention as they become "wealthy" in the eyes of interested parties

Edited By Denis Watkins on 29/12/2016 11:29:18

It comes down to Location, Location, Location. If you can operate without upsetting anyone..the further away the better, then I would try and do it for at least 12 months, if not 24 months. If you can do that without upset, then the chances are all will be well in the longer term. Obviously you can't control new people moving to the area, but all you can do is pick the right location.

In my professional capacity in these matters I would say you operate at your own risk, BUT speaking as a modeller and not a planner I would say keep mum for at least 2 years. Keep a log of all that use the site, the frequency of use and the dates. This will be key to justifying retrospective CoU.

Applying for CoU will also depend on the local councillors, the parish locals and the attitude of the planning department. All neighbours will be notified of an application, if they have concern they will object which may trigger the planning committee to make the decision.

How big is the club and how many regulars do you have?

One way to do it is to without CoU is to self impose time restrictions and days that IC and or electric can be flown, then gently ramp up the times/days year by year.

You risk going through the CoU process and have nothing or virtually nothing at the end. And you can always apply for Retro Certificate of Lawful use or CoU in any event, once you've established yourselves.

The other thing to remember is that even if you get PP and own the site, you can be impacted/restricted or shut down by Environmental Health Noise department.

My advice is get on with it keep a log, if there's a local parish council and they have a website, keep an eye on the minutes...or even attend the meetings on the quiet and see if anyone raises complaints or comments. If not carry on for 10 years and your life will then become...slightly...better, only slightly..

Edited By ChrisB on 01/01/2017 18:43:33