New Futaba 2.4 6K system and Analogue Servo's

As my 35 mhz radio gear gave me several glitching problems last year, thanks to Santa Claus and Mick Charles Models I now have a Futaba 6K transmitter and receiver and need to consider what I can do with my 30 odd models that all have analogue servos. Unless I have misread the new instructions there is no mention of analogue servos only digital servos. I gather there are some systems and makes of receivers that have to be adjusted with switches and indicator lights such that either analogue or digital servos can be used. There is an S-bus socket on the 6 channel Futaba receiver that the manufacturers warn specifically about connections, and schematic diagrams show the hub connections to this particular socket to allow for limitations on wiring particularly on wings with multi servos controlling ailerons and flaps. Before I ruin the £45 receiver could anyone provide advice?

Advert

Just plug in your analogue servos as normal and ignore the SBUS port for now - they will be fine. I have heard of some digital servos failing if being driven with the incorrect frame rate, but not analogues.If you are worried about it just plug in one cheap disposable servo into the RX and leave it running for a few hours

I've only flicked through the online manual but as far as I can see, the system operates on 2 different modulations - a new one providing telemetry and the other is one of the several varieties of "conventional" 2.4 GHz operation used by Futaba (I'm so glad I moved away from this rather muddled approach!)

I haven't seen any reference to using particular servos except for SBUS which is a multiplexed approach where special individual servos extract instructions from a common bus. The default mode for the new telemetry receiver appears to be 6 channel PWM so it appears that you just proceed as normal.

Where does it refer to only working with digital servos? Hopefully you've misinterpreted this but it would help to see what exactly you've read...

Thanks for the information guys.

Martin, the scheduled servo types listed for the modulation selected would appear to be digital although I have not checked this. There is no actual mention in the instructions as far as I have noticed that the system cannot support analogue servos, but then there is no information regarding the use of the latter. The other day I was given some information regarding a compatible receiver made by Cooltech. I gather this receiver requires adjustment for analogue servos and that it's default setting is for digital servos. The receiver only costs about £22

See video https://youtu.be/zV0XOY7EiqM

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/01/2017 16:47:25

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/01/2017 16:53:07

Not exactly difficult to see why Futaba have fallen so far behind in the sales stakes is it? They have a special skill for creating the most confusing products (protocol soup anyone?) and documentation around...

Edited By MattyB on 06/01/2017 19:44:17

Hi Mike

I use a Futaba Faast system, 8fg. In the manual it gives the option of setting your Futaba receiver to "high speed mode" rather than than the normal mode that is the factory setting. I expect that is the same situation with your FHss unit. As above, just plug in your old servos and you will be fine. If you did set the receiver to high speed mode, I think it is the standard analogue servos which would suffer, not the receiver.

The S bus provisions are not needed for standard 4 - 5 channel set ups.

Enjoy your new transmitter, and fly with confidence.

Nigel

Just had a look at the online manual for the 6k FHss and I see there isn't a "high speed mode" for the receiver. But on pg 39 of the manual it does say the receiver is supplied from the factory in the standard mode and you would have to reset it to the S-Bus setting (dont). It is this setting which standard servos wont work. There is a warning note on the page, and I think it is the way they have worded this which suggests that only digital servos can be used at all.

Back on page 16 where they talk about compatibility and accessories, servos are referred to and it states a wide range of servos can be used, but in S Bus mode only specific servos should be used.

So your perfectly good analogue servos should go well on the factory default setting of the receiver you have and others you buy. You should be able to get further FHss receivers by Futaba and other manufacturers for a reasonable price and I see you have been looking already.

David Ashby reviewed the 6K in the December 2015 RCME - edition with the Ballerina plan.

Nigel

Posted by Denis Watkins on 06/01/2017 19:45:25:

They never ever get shot down Matty, not even a Chinook can do it, never a glitch, I don't own one by the way, just seeing my club mates bullet proof

Erm, how do you know? wink 2

The thread on the Chinook tells us that there were two people flying. We know one (the poster) was using a Taranis - but he wasn't shot down. He lost his telemetry - but not control. The other pilot did lose control but we don't know what brand of Tx he was using do we? Maybe it was a Futaba? Who knows? smile

BEB

No mention of servo types in the December 2015 report, but otherwise all seems OK. I have noticed that the 6K does not have the channel 6 flaps variable control wheel that the 6EXA has. I have used this facility to control the mixture servo on Chris Olsen's last Uproar which I have not flown for a few years,so what do I do now?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/01/2017 00:23:19

Hi Mike

The 6exa 2.4 model which I used to use doesn't have any variable knobs or sliders but I see the discontinued 7C did. Looking at the T6K manual, there are 3 three position switches. I'm not familiar with mixture controls on IC motors (but I do l fly IC) but I wonder whether assigning channel 5 or 6 to a 3 pos switch would give you enough options.

I also note there is a variable knob on the T6K and it seems to be intended for volume control, But on pg 68 of the manual (on channel mixing) it states it is available to be assigned to other channels so you could use that. If you need volume control it could go to a three pos switch.

Hope this helps but I haven't handled the T6K so cant give much more practical help. One of the big advantages of using the Faast 8fg (now dicontinued) or the 14sg is that you have access to the writings of Malcomm Holt who has produced a great set of practical notes on these transmitters which explain what practical uses the many functions of these transmitters have.

Nigel