Horus compatibility question

Bob Cotsford

keep your hair on Chris, I only ordered it late Friday afternoon! I've also ordered a couple of UK spec X6Rs, I needed one for the Fugly anyway. That'll give me something to play with. Then I remembered that I'd need a couple of SD cards last night, they'll be a fiver each from Currys/PCWorld.

Now let's see what the postman brings tomorrow.

Advert

Posted by Peter Christy on 20/01/2017 15:41:57:

I don't think there are any "bugs" - its just legal niceties! The EU - for some strange reason - decided that they wanted systems to check a channel was free before transmitting - hence LBT - "Listen Before Transmit".

But that overlooks the whole point of spread spectrum transmission - that it reduces any interference between systems to a minimum anyway!

Strange how a system that works perfectly everywhere else in the world isn't good enough for Europe!

--

Pete

Actually the whole LBT issue was originally driven by US Telcos and was discussed by the Federal Communications Commission in March 2005

Well, my Horus is due to be delivered tomorrow 'before end of day'. Helpful. Just as well I'm off sick this year and can hang around in order to sign for it face 1

Note to self - just because Currys list micro SD cards from a fiver on line, it doesn't mean that there'll be anything cheaper than £12 stocked in store!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/01/2017 23:04:35

Posted by Peter Christy on 20/01/2017 15:41:57:

I don't think there are any "bugs" - its just legal niceties! The EU - for some strange reason - decided that they wanted systems to check a channel was free before transmitting - hence LBT - "Listen Before Transmit".

But that overlooks the whole point of spread spectrum transmission - that it reduces any interference between systems to a minimum anyway!

Not strictly correct; there are a few different ways to comply, of which LBT is just one of them (indeed FrSky's original EU firmware did not use it). Lots of info on the technical aspects here...

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis. I've got Companion 2.2 loaded and set up so that I can back up the firmware ok. Before going to OpenTx I think I'll have a play with the supplied OS, so far it seems a bit clumsy going back to a menu driven system.

Hi MattyB: Yes, I'm familiar with the EU side of things, and yes, if you don't use LBT, you are restricted in the percentage access to the medium. What I was asking is, as the FCC had considered a similar requirement, why didn't they implement it? At a rough guess, because they considered it unnecessary.

The whole point of spread spectrum is that it causes very little in the way of interference to other users, and virtually none to other spread spectrum users. The EU regs seem an unnecessary complication.

Other than 35 and 40 MHz, all model control operates in the ISM (Industrial Scientific and Medical) bands, and I suspect that a few multi-nationals see the opportunity of a "land-grab" of unlicensed frequencies, rather than pay a lot of money for a proper, licensed band of their own. They don't want us cluttering up "their" band.

Now, where did I put my tin-foil hat.....? wink

--

Pete

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/01/2017 15:42:40:

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis.

This is why I haven't jumped on one - when I picked it up it was just too big and heavy to be comfortable for a "thumber" such as myself. I don't doubt that it will suit some people down to the ground, but I do wonder if by releasing Hall effect gimbals at £20 each for the X9D and X7 Taranis' they have cannibalized the market for the Horus. The sticks are the only part of my Taranis I don't really like, so spending forty quid to fix that rather than >£500 is a no brainer.

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis. I've got Companion 2.2 loaded and set up so that I can back up the firmware ok. Before going to OpenTx I think I'll have a play with the supplied OS, so far it seems a bit clumsy going back to a menu driven system.

I agree with all of that Bob. I think the menu system will suit a good few folk who don't want to take the leap into OpenTx.

I like the spring tension, but it is adjustable without taking the case apart.

Oh yes, have a play with the tilt sensors and GPS, because you can't use those in OpenTx.

Posted by MattyB on 24/01/2017 17:36:01:

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis.

This is why I haven't jumped on one - when I picked it up it was just too big and heavy to be comfortable for a "thumber" such as myself. I don't doubt that it will suit some people down to the ground, but I do wonder if by releasing Hall effect gimbals at £20 each for the X9D and X7 Taranis' they have cannibalized the market for the Horus. The sticks are the only part of my Taranis I don't really like, so spending forty quid to fix that rather than >£500 is a no brainer.

I too had my reservations about the size and Weight, Matty. But for me at least, it was a perception thing. I'm now completely used to it. I fly thumbs with no strap and Horus now feels totally natural. In fact now I'm used to that, Taranis feels very light and toy like..

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/01/2017 17:41:01:

I too had my reservations about the size and Weight, Matty. But for me at least, it was a perception thing. I'm now completely used to it. I fly thumbs with no strap and Horus now feels totally natural. In fact now I'm used to that, Taranis feels very light and toy like..

Sadly as I fly slope and DLG it isn't just a perception thing for me - I just don't think I could launch at full power with a Horus, and for trekking up a big hill and flying long slope session in the cold it doesn't offer me enough extra over an X9D to be worth the disadvantages. If I only flew power I would get shorter sticks and adjust to the weight, but I think it's M9 gimbals for me and (possibly) a second run X7 as a backup TX for my daughter to use.

Edited By MattyB on 24/01/2017 18:07:43

Posted by MattyB on 24/01/2017 17:58:47:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/01/2017 17:41:01:

Sadly as I fly slope and DLG it isn't just a perception thing for me - I just don't think I could launch at full power with a Horus, and for trekking up a big hill and flying long slope session in the cold it doesn't offer me enough extra over an X9D to be worth the disadvantages. If I only flew power I would get shorter sticks and adjust to the weight, but I think it's M9 gimbals for me and (possibly) a second run X7 as a backup TX for my daughter to use.

Edited By MattyB on 24/01/2017 18:07:43

Sounds like a good plan Matty. For sure, I'd worry about hanging on to a Horus during DLG.

I'd like to have a good look at that Taranis X7 too.

I was tempted by the X7, but had reservations as I use the rotary sliders quite a bit and the X7 looks to come up short there.

As for the Horus, it's interesting getting my head back into working with the restrictions of a menu system. In the end I just used free mixers to set up flapperons, I want to try elevator/flapperon mix next as the Fugly is meant to be a fun-fly model. I also need to find or create some model images as it only comes with 4 - 3 cabin models and a generic helicopter. It will be another interesting exercise loading up OpenTX and creating the same setup.

One area where I think FrSky need to buck their ideas up is the inclusion or otherwise of a basic user manual with brief guides to the use of things like the mixer options, logic switches and special functions, using the built in gyro, creating or finding sound and images etc..

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 25/01/2017 15:29:00:

Thanks Andy, but I'm thinking in terms of FrSky attracting sales from those who don't think they should have to go online to find a manual, the people who want a boxed unit with everything included to get them up and running.

Not likely to happen anytime soon methinks. 1) Frsky (like most RC manufacturers) are pretty hopeless at instructions(!), 2) the rate of change in RC firmware is now so high that printed instructions go out of date quickly, and 3) good quality instructions are very expensive to create in multiple languages. Since the main part of their appeal is based on beating their price point competition on functionality they are not going to do anything that increases their costs and erodes that advantage. Get used to loving the badly translated PDF!

wink

Edited By MattyB on 25/01/2017 16:42:58