Complete beginner - currently using simulator, what next?

Jim Newmark

OK, thanks a lot to all. I have plenty to work on now! Also learnt a lot of new terms - eg DLG! As you say, I am not interested in power but quite like learning new skills - so an entry level gliding kit fits the bill. Even better if I could combine it with a cycle trip out - hopefully the whole thing would fit into panniers - I will look into that as well.

Joining a club .... well, perhaps one day.

Advert

Jim

My only additional advice, apart from that already given, is get good at understanding the weather!

Flying a RC plane is calm conditions is very different to doing so in almost any wind.

Its not so much the wind itself, although even a 5 mph 'light breeze' can be a issue for a real light weight but the turbulence that is created by almost any fixed object, typically buildings and trees.

Turbulence can make your plane do unexpected things and 'unexpected' is not what you want when you are trying to learn what to expect!

So the more open the area the better as far as turbulence is concerned but remember what wind there is will be that much stronger too!

Those weather forecast chart isobars will start to take on new meaning. wink 2

Posted by ChrisB on 21/01/2017 08:57:39:

To avoid conflict with users of parks, footpaths etc and to avoid crashing your model I would advise joining a club where you can at least fly under supervision and receive face to face assistance, even if it's for a few months until you get the basics.

The OP has clearly stated he wants to learn on the slope, so whilst the suggestion to get instruction is sound the idea that you can avoid contact with the public is a bit fantastical. All slope sites are public access, and most with good lift and easy access offer views that attract many walkers and cyclists. It's just the nature of the beast!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 21/01/2017 15:46:03:

My only additional advice, apart from that already g

Flying a RC plane is calm conditions is very different to doing so in almost any wind.

Its not so much the wind itself, although even a 5 mph 'light breeze' can be a issue for a real light weight but the turbulence that is created by almost any fixed object, typically buildings and trees.

Turbulence can make your plane do unexpected things and 'unexpected' is not what you want when you are trying to learn what to expect!

So the more open the area the better as far as turbulence is concerned but remember what wind there is will be that much stronger too!

...true, but again trying to fly slope in no wind is not much fun either!

If you turn the rates down it can be "entry level" but you'd still need some flying ability or instruction (plus a buddy to watch out for the walkers.)

Posted by Jim Newmark on 21/01/2017 12:04:38:

Joining a club .... well, perhaps one day.

I would not turn my nose up at looking into clubs. Not for joining though. The reason being that all BMFA affiliated clubs will insure you for up to three taster days so you can go and fly a club trainer a few times without joining.

Those three taster days could be absolutely vital to assessing your own flying ability as well as teaching you some basics which would help enormously as and when you go to a slope.

Jim has expressed an interest in getting a two channel DLG glider which might weigh between 100g and 200g so I can't see the relevance of him joining a club just so he can get instruction on your average 4 channel club trainer weighing several Kg and powered by a 40+ two stroke! The expression, 'chalk and cheese' comes to mind. Jim sim has probably got him started sufficiently whereby he will not experience any difficulties.

As he suggested carrying his glider in the panniers of his bike he might like one of these, an Alula Trek that breaks down for transport. The Dreamflight instructions are clear and comprehensive, so provided they are followed you should end up with a sweet flying model. I have their Libelle which is very relaxing to fly but also very agile although the wing is in one piece so not so portable. It can be flown in a maximum of ten knots in my experience. For stronger winds the Weasel may fit the bill or alternatively, the SAS Mini Wildthing. Not tried one of those yet but looks very portable.

+1 for BMFA insurance (and representation when EASA try to spoil our hobby)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/01/2017 13:26:27

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/01/2017 13:27:10

OK, totally convinced now, plenty to work on. Again, thanks all. I think Piers has it right - I only want something very basic and, now I think about it more, portable. I am a dedicated cyclist, fairly long distance at times (I recommend Audax http://www.aukweb.net/home/ if you want a break from flying!) , and the idea of combining cycling and this is quite appealing. And one of the links above has a local (Bradford) address, so I will go and have a look in the next few days.

When you take a look at the Alula Trek Jim, you might want to also look at the Weasel Trek too, also by Dreamflight, as the Bradford store stocks both. The Weasel also breaks down for transport but will handle higher winds (so you may find you need both). Thought I would warn you now!

I have taken a glider on numerous cycling adventures, mainly on my travels abroad. I made lightweight travel boxes made of thin ply to protect them from the rigours of international airline transport in my suitcase. I would also fit the box into a lightweight backpack which I generally found was safer than trying to attach it to the bike. I found a lot of interesting slopes to soar from. I did consider making a carry box from Correx as it is so light and quite tough to protect the glider from minor dings.

I cycle most days but nothing like those on your Audax site (respect!) - twenty miles nearly kills me these days!

Happy cycling and gliding!

• 2 months later...

Back again, had my birthday, thanks for all this. So much choice, and of all the suggestions I have now purchased and made a Wildthing http://soar-ahead-sailplanes.co.uk/sas-wildthing​ (too big for the bike, but I think smaller would be too difficult to fly for a beginner) and bought a Spektrum DX61 on ebay. And also the other bits and pieces, like a receiver (what sort sir? Does it matter? Well, yes, sir, it does). And batteries ("how do you charge them?" "Oh, you just plug them in..." "Ah, thanks" and then back to the shop the week after for .... a charger. And lighter batteries (AAA pack, not AA) ... And no-one mentioned how difficult it is for complete beginners to understand how to programme the transmitter. But it is all sorted now, I understand them and the model looks great and everything seems to be working beautifully. The problem is, I just dare not launch it. PicaSim is all very well, but I know how many expensive virtual gliders I have smashed. My local clubs seem to be powered based and there are no clubs around Baildon Moor where everybody seems to hang out (I have seen them from the road and that is where the shop recommends) So, if anybody is able to help me fly my plane and show me what to do on Baildon Moor above Bradford, West Yorkshire? If anybody is willing, could they PM me?! For a pint at Dick Hudsons?

Denis the glider is radio controlled not free flight so I doubt it will be the last time Jim sees it. Not a bad idea to put your name and address on it though, a small bush can sometimes conceal even the most brightly coloured glider! I am sure that if Jim heads up to Baildon Moor (wherever that might be) at the weekend, he will be able to get some assistance from fellow flyers to maiden his new glider. Once it has been trimmed out he will wonder what all the fuss is about. The Wildthing is pretty robust if not indestructible so I doubt it will come to much harm.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/03/2017 14:41:11:

If you chuck that thing of a hill Jim, it could be the last time that you see it.

If you ever go for powered flight, PM me for onfield instruction 30 miles from your location

Sorry, that is complete nonsense. Have you ever flown slope? If so you would know that no aileron model with zero dihedral will go further than a few feet on the venturi of a slope before needing correction. In the hands of a beginner it is more likely to land 6 inches in front of him because it is not trimmed correctly than drift off into the distance.

Jim, a quick Google led me to this thread on this very forum with the following info on Basildon Moor...

Posted by JohnA on 12/11/2009 17:16:14:
Baildon Moor is used for slope soaring. West (slightly North/west) facing slope is above shipley glen, just north of caravan site. Not greatest slope and there is power lines running diagonally across it, but has a great big flat landing area with minimal boulders. You need a permit to park up on moor but there is a small layby on the Elswick to Baildon road with a path running up to the slope.

North facing slope is by the car park at the "summit" of the Baildon to Hawksworth road. Small cliff edge slope but can generate a lot of lift in right conditions.

Beamsley Beacon used to be used (above the back road from Ilkley to Bolton Abbey) not sure these days but it is very rocky.

...so all you need to do is wander up there the next time there is a 5-12mph westerly or northerly wind and introduce yourself to the locals. Have them check out your plane and one of them will probably test fly and trim it for you before giving you a bit of instruction. Welcome to the slope brotherhood! teeth 2

Edited By MattyB on 26/03/2017 16:06:11

• 5 months later...
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 20/01/2017 12:13:23:

I agree with MattyB, get a Multiplex Easyglider Pro. They are completely sorted and tens of thousands have been sold over the years. MPX instructions are always clear and unambiguous so success is guaranteed! Being made of EPO foam (MPX call it Elapor) it is very easy to repair with cyano, should you get some minor damage but they are very tough. You can fly them as a pure glider or E-Soarer, the choice is yours.

I would also invest in a Spektrum DX6 (not the DXE) as it is future proof, more capable and a relatively small sum to pay to get into a new hobby. Personally I would steer clear of second hand equipment if you want to avoid 'issues' as you don't know it's history (stored in a damp shed?) and it will require new rechargeable batteries in any event.

I have never been a member of a club for several reasons so taught myself. EPO/EPP (foam) hadn't been invented so I did break/damage models sometimes but it was usually repairable. It was all part of the fun! There is only so much you can learn from a Sim, you will probably find the real thing easier in any event so get out there and enjoy.

PS you could also get yourself one of these too as they are unbreakable and a lot of fun in my experience.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 20/01/2017 12:15:27

A few months on now, slow progress you may think, but life is busy! I have followed the advice and the Wildthing / Spektrum DX6 combination is fun, when I can fly it, but opportunities and correct wind conditions are few. So this afternoon I bought a Multiplex with electric motor and the recommended 11.1v battery. In my pure ignorance I think I must have connected this battery to the Wildthing setup - sudden movement of the servos then zilch. The Rx still seems to work properly with all the correct lights - but the Wildthing is now dead. Have I fried the servos?

Assuming I have, does the Spektrum Rx take 11.1v for a future purchase and placement in the Multiplex? I don't have to buy all their branded setup do I? It is recommended to maximum less than that. But what is the alternative? What am I doing wrong - clearly still very much a beginner

@Hi Jim , a flight simulator gives the answer to the most important question : "Can I manage the RC model?" If after several hours of flying on the simulator, conclude that in all positions you can control the model in the following situations (towards you, from you when the model is passing besides you, inverted flight), regardless of the quality and the accuracy of the flight,only is important that "crossed commands" are not a problem for you.

If you can answer on these requirements, everything else will fall into the second plan. There are many good beginner models with relevant equipment, especially in your country.
I wish to you success and fun in the best hobby-sport in the world.

Rgds