Rib profile delta wing ?

Flyer

I have no experience in specific PSS but delta wing aerodynamics are heavily influenced by the delta shape.

The great root chord and relatively short span makes thinner wing section structurally possible, hence their attraction for trans and super sonic flight.

You will almost by definition have substantial surface area, = skin drag, so you might as well use the delta advantage and use a thinner section to reduce the form drag element.

My own experience suggests a thinner section (5%?) needs less negative camber (thus less drag) than a thick section to achieve satisfactory longitudinal stability but the CofG position can be quite critical for the best glide performance.

I hope this helps.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 11/02/2017 23:52:01

More importantly I feel a reflex section should be used. More stability and cuts down tip stalling.If you overdo it you can get an undulating flight .A bit like a butterfly sometimes Experiment with some little all balsa chuckies and some blue tack and washers You'll find a flat plate is as good as any section for the most part

#

More importantly I feel a reflex section should be used. More stability and cuts down tip stalling.If you overdo it you can get an undulating flight .A bit like a butterfly sometimes Experiment with some little all balsa chuckies and some blue tack and washers You'll find a flat plate is as good as any section for the most part

#

It is interesting One tenor, what you say about the flat plate wing, as my small Aeronautics library goes back to the 1940s,

And even then, the benefits of the flat plate wing were highly regarded in modelling, due to their simplicity of construction, their relative stiffness in small scales, and of course, the least weight for the most lift from flat materials.

You summed this up well.

We see the benefits of flat plate models at every indoor flying event

Ade, be aware that any really sharply tapered delta will not perform that well on the slope, irrelevant of the section used. Soaring performance will be poor compared to a straight or slightly swept wing, and whilst they can be made to go fairly quick in a straight level line inertia tends to be quickly killed in the turn.

A Vulcan type platform is about as far as I recommend you can go on the slope unless you have a brick lifter like the Orme as your local slope. If not choose another subject, otherwise your hard work will just deliver you a hangar queen!

Posted by MattyB on 12/02/2017 11:58:11:

Ade, be aware that any really sharply tapered delta will not perform that well on the slope, irrelevant of the section used. Soaring performance will be poor compared to a straight or slightly swept wing, and whilst they can be made to go fairly quick in a straight level line inertia tends to be quickly killed in the turn.

A Vulcan type platform is about as far as I recommend you can go on the slope unless you have a brick lifter like the Orme as your local slope. If not choose another subject, otherwise your hard work will just deliver you a hangar queen!

I'm actually looking at a septcat Jaguar 'E' (the two seater) in 1/12th scale. It's bascially a delta wing form, stuck on top of the fuselage. On reflection, the wing area looks similar to the A4 Shyhawk.

So I am tending to look in that direction at the moment. Whilst not a true 'delta' I feel it could be influenced by those forces.

Cheers

Ade

The Jag isn't a delta really, and shouldn't be treated as such for wing sections. There is some experience within the PSSA on Jaguars - you might want a quick word with Phil on the front. The profile of the wing is a tricky one to make due to the cranked TE, but whatever you do, I'd build this LIGHT.

Posted by Andy Meade on 14/02/2017 09:04:02:

The Jag isn't a delta really, and shouldn't be treated as such for wing sections. There is some experience within the PSSA on Jaguars - you might want a quick word with Phil on the front. The profile of the wing is a tricky one to make due to the cranked TE, but whatever you do, I'd build this LIGHT.

Cheers Andy,

I'll try and have a word with him at Cosford Saturday. But I still think the plan view is very much a delta. But I take your points on board, and a light build should allow a scal(ish) wing.

Cheers
Ade

Will get it drawn by The Orme in April !

Also, referring back to the delta wing; would the Gloster Javelin have the characteristics of a delta? I know it's got the high tail, but looking at it, it could benefit from elevons too?

And, btw, I've just acquired a 1/48th plastic kit to base a drawing on!

So many ideas, so little time.

Cheers

Ade

That seems to be the way of the PSS'er I'm afraid!

The Javelin still flies ok with ailerons and separate elevator (see Mick Reeve's BIG turbine version). I think the rule here is that if it has a tailplane of any kind, use elevators. Except if it's a canard, then you can use elevons or aileron / elevator laugh

Speaking of which - where's the X29?!

It's work in progress; as I'm trying to source a decent plastic kit to get the fuselage right. I've got the two view drawings, but am not happy with the fuselage. Although, I may just use artistic 'licence' and use the 'if it look's right'......

Maybe ready for August PSS meet.

Using 1/10th Scale for the X29 just to prove the concept, before I have another FSW in mind.

And work has been busy since mid October, so have only managed last weekend to finish off the A4. Hoping to start final spraying once it warms up a little (as I am currently banned from spraying in the conservatory!!).

Ade