Mirus Build Blog

Mannyroad

Hi All,

Well, following a host of encouraging comments supporting my thoughts about doing a blog on my Mirus build, I'm compelled to see this through now and do my utmost not to disappoint or bore too many of you guyslaugh

So, the paln is to build my second Mirus, from a plan produced by Ken Stokes, though my version will be tweeked from his plan to include wing servos and has had the nose profile altered slightly from the plan to make it look a tad more streamlined. I also wanted to change the wing mounts and re-draw the wing and root tip profiles in CAD to provide the foam wing cutter a dxf file for cutting, so ended up re-drawing the entire plan in CAD.

My first Mirus was built over 8 years ago off my plan and is still going strong, see pic below, which shows you how it should end up, though with a different colour scheme. These models fly superbly and fast, as Mark Kettle's vid on Youtube demonstrate.

20161008_212241.jpg

I commadeered the kitchen table yesterday, and got cracking cutting out the various formers and fuselage sides from the plan. With such a simple build its easier to photocopy the parts and use these to lay on the balsa sheet I find, so I don't really need a full size plan on the board.

My first job was to glue the 6mm triangular balsa strip to the fus sides,formed in med 4" sheet.

20161205_230810.jpg

Next I glued two 4" sheets of 5mm med balsa together to make the fin and stabiliser and when dried I glued on the hard balsa strips to these at top of fin and leading edges of the stab. The only hard balsa I had was 6mm thick, as you can see, but it will sand down so no probs. My building board is sundeala on 25mm mdf and to stop the aliphatic glue sticking I simply stick a piece of parcel tape down first. Works a treat.

The elevator is still part of the stab at this point and will be cut off and shaped up later.

20161209_093012.jpg

This morning I decided to crack on with joining the two wing halves. Out of sequence maybe but I just wanted to see how they will look (like a kid in a sweet shop i guess - there's still a kid in all modellers deep down haha!)

So, the wings were cut by Cloud Models. I've had wings from them before and they do an excellent job at very reasonable prices. With the Mirus wings I had servo lead channels cut into the wings and had the leading and trailing edges pre-fixed. The leading edges are in a hard timber, though not quite sure what it is.

20161210_195249.jpg

On inspection, the root face of one of the wing halves needed a slight touch of sanding to ensure a good mate with the other half. This done they were then glued together using 30 min epoxy. To ensure things stayed put, and flat, I raided the kitchen cupboards for suitable weights. Once the epoxy has dried I will crack on with the fuselage build again.

20161210_232122.jpg

The Mirus is a classic! All straight lines - but the angles between them are oh so right!  A friend had one with a piped Rossi 40.  Hot stink!!

Now we know that Cloud have the wing templates, a plan would be very tempting!

Edited By Mike T on 12/02/2017 12:44:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab5VcG9xz9g&feature=youtu.be

A very short vid of a Mirrus ,

We have a guy in out club who swears by the Mirrus , always has a least 2 , and they are fast , well the piped 53 is , You cannot vid that one as its difficult to catch on the screen ,

they are brilliant .

cheers

Manny. Happy memories of a Mirus with an OS25fsr on the front from years ago - not blindingly fast with the OS but still a lot of fun and as I recall, very forgiving. Very tempting, to build another one, easy too with a few paper templates and the wings from the boys at Cloud Models, especially if they've put the l/e on & cut the servo wells for you. How much did you pay?

Any worries that people would not be interested are dispelled by the 188 viewings so far. keep up the excellent work!

Anybody who has seen a Mirus fly will know why it's not a follow on to a trainer! - they are small and very fast. But an excellent design that is a classic but unobtainable as a kit for many years.

Posted by Mannyroad on 12/02/2017 12:41:33:

Hi Alan,

I think I still have the original Ken Stokes plan somewhere and have my own version of the plan, reproduced using AutoCAD. If you want to PM me I could probably arrange to get a copy done.

Given the interest level and the fact the plan is no longer available (commercially or otherwise) perhaps you should upload the file to Outerzone? Site seems to be down at present though...

Posted by DavidKP on 12/02/2017 14:30:39:

Thanks for the feedback, but I will still follow this blog to see what I can learn

Nice to have you along DavidKP, though how much you will learn from my building is an unknown; I very much doubt there's anything groundbreaking in this build, being such a simple plane to knock out. Quick though.

Gurth, Cloud Models didn't do the swells for the servos. I'll be cutting them out of the wings when the time comes. They did however let me have laser cut servo well lids, used in their C2K Wasp wing (which I built last Summer), in 3mm ply, which come with fixing dowels and screws. They charged me £45 plus postage of £8 which I think is extremely good value, especially as they included fully shaped up LE & TE.

That's a good looking model and a straight forward build. Glad you decided to blog it, it's already inspiring others. Looks like a great fun model, what are you gopinf to stick on the sharp end, a .36?

Edit, oops I see in another thread it's an SC32, I would think that's agood choice.

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/02/2017 20:37:41

Alan, yes, no rudder , and none needed.

Thanks for your comment Ian, and yes, I bought another 32 to go in it, though amybe I ought to have been a bit more adventurous, seeing some guys are putting tuned .53s in it.surprise the one I currently fly has a OS Max 32SX in it and thats plenty fast enough for my kind of flying.

Anyway, had a few moments to progress things, so cut the 1.5mm ply doubler out and glued that in place, though you can't see much underneath half the kitchen cupboard contents and my firewood, haha!. Later got the formers epoxied in, using a small square and then holding the formers with masking. Just mated up the opposite fus side this evening. Wish i had a SLEC building jig. Instead I'm sticking that good old packing tape on my board and marking a centreline on it, to line up the marks on the fuselage formers when I draw the rear and front together.

20161212_192008.jpg

20161213_223829.jpg

20161215_130102.jpg

The speed measured with the 53 on a tuned pipe was 132mph !

I cannot verify the figure cos I was not there when it was done but I have seen it fly many times , from behind our steel mesh fence and I dont doubt the speed , !

its not aerobatic its just smoothly fast ,well a bit frightening really !!

cheers