Starter mechanism on RCV 90SP

Bill Brown 3

Hi all, I have installed an RCV 90SP engine and also bought the starter rod for cranking the motor for starting, the thing is that there is no one way drive ratchet or similar so once the engine fires up the reverse torque unscrews the starting screw which is not desirable when you have to strip the cowl back off to re install it, am I missing something here??? looking forward to some feedback.

Advert

The only rcv i have ever dealt with was a 120 sp and we just spun the prop as normal. reaching over the model to try and use the probe thing was precarious at best and we had a number of issues with the thing jumping out and damaging the cowl, not to mention almost causing us to fall on the bloomin model!

I used to use one of these for a SP 60, standing behind the prop. I never had any problems with the system, per se, except a constant awareness that any mishaps damaged the model. Went back to conventional starting in the end.

About says it all, alright engine, but a solution looking to find a problem to solve.

I have both the 90 and 120 SP engines, and have not experienced any of the problems as described by Jon. The wand will only give problems if it's worn at the end, and there is a ball ended version which makes things a bit easier. The starting screw must be attached really tightly or, as you have experienced, it will unscrew when the engine starts. It should be OK if the throttle setting is at the idle position and perhaps use some threadlock on the screw. It's only happened to me once in five years of use.

I am also a SP60 user and as with Solly have had few problems and always start from behind. +1 on threadlock for all screws on a RCV. Glassed a steel washer inside the cowl access hole of my AT6 to prevent starter rod damage.

Edited By J D 8 on 22/02/2017 16:46:15