Aircraft that are difficult to rc scale

The F104 Starfighter is tricky apparently. I think most models increase the scale wing area and, even then, the wings look inadequate. The Westland Lysander seem to be another, which is surprising considering the full-size is designed for short take-off and landings. It's a pity the only ARTF one available is so big and there doesn't seem to be a good kit..

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 01/03/2017 11:43:09:

The F104 Starfighter is tricky apparently. I think most models increase the scale wing area and, even then, the wings look inadequate.

Yep, but then that's not really surprising given the reputation full size one had as a flying coffin! Joke from the 80s...

Q. How do you get your very own F104 Starfighter?

A. Buy a field in Germany and wait...!

How about the ML Gadfly (Also known as the 'durex delta'.

Or try the Blackburn B20 (sea plane with retractable single float)

I'm sure there are many others but the use of multi axis gyros makes many more previously unsuitable aircraft now possible.

Edited By Mowerman on 01/03/2017 15:57:15

Re the Starfighter, from one of those great old documentaries on Quest I seem to recall the wings were so thin they only worked properly with some kind of air blowing system to artificially create lift and the leading edges were so thin you could cut yourself on them.

The poor old F-104 does seem to get a poor press. As I understand it, the aircraft had a fairly good record in the USAF and several other air forces which operated it in its designed role as an interceptor. Operated at low level with a wingful of ordnance tacked on as an aferthought, often at low level and in poor weather, coupled with less than rigorous maintenance and less experienced aircrew lead to many losses.

A former clubmate operated a turbine powered version and was delighted with its handling - including a couple of deadstick landings. I've always thought that the very long nose distorts the plan form, making the already fairly small wings look cartoonish - saw 15' off the front and it looks a lot more sensible!.