Re-covering an Acrowot kit

Having rebuilt the front end and resecured the tailplane of my Acrowot after stalling while dead stick landing, I am now ready to re-cover with Solarfilm. I didn't build the model and have never used Solarfilm type coverings before.

Is it practical to cover the tailplane and controls without removing the CA type hinges or should I just go for it and cut them off?

Advert

I'm doing the whole fuselage but don't need to do the wings. I stripped the fuselage completely as it had a bit of hangar rash that needed sorting while I was at it. I will try and get help for my first attempts.

Focae, grab some offcuts of films (flying buddies or model shop), some offcuts of balsa (same) and just go for it, try various temps and ways, and find what works best for you. Then test on an open structure (make a quick frame and go for it on that.

It really isn't a difficult process, its a bit of plastic and balsa, and the ONLY way to gain confidence is to DO IT!!

I suggest you view the video here

it is by Derek Hardman the inventor of Solarfilm (and lots of other covering such as Solartex). All good advice and it takes over an hour to watch but very worthwhile.   See also the Solarfilm website which has lots of info including the instruction & proportions for making roundels, stars & bars etc.  ( for some reason there is no link on the website to the video! )

Edited By kc on 08/03/2017 17:09:54

If you can find a reasonable colour match I'd go for Hobby King film. It really is as easy as Profilm to use and I think it's as good in other respects, too - better if you take price into account. I've used it on several models including my Ballerina which came out well and I'm rubbish at covering.:

ballerina airfield 5.jpg

There's a bit more decoration now but this was how it looked when it was test fllown.

Geoff

Thanks guys....all good info. I guess I will just have to get stuck in. My main concern was the control surfaces and the problems associated with renewing the CA hinges... One of the hinges can be moved along a bit. The others may be a bit more problematical.