X9D fails to charge

graham dallison

Advert

A charger has to pump in whatever power has been used from a cell or cells

And an unregulated supply can be measured way over the voltage printed on your pack

Most chargers will show a higher voltage when no load is applied

The voltage should be correct when connected to the pack

One LED would not cause this discrepancy, but you could replace the LED

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/03/2017 20:07:14

I think the "wall-wart" is just a power supply on the X9D. The charger is in the Tx. You haven't been plugging an external charger into the X9D, have you? That is a sure way to blow the internal charger. You should only use the supplied power supply to use the internal charger.

However, most of us just unplug the NiMh pack and use an external charger. Indeed, if you get one of Overlander's Eneloop packs for it (which gives you a significant increase in capacity!), you will find it has a small Molex connector to plug into the Tx, and a separate JR type connector to connect to an external charger. Then you don't even have to disconnect the battery to use the external charger!

Just make sure the Tx is "OFF" before you try and charge it!

--

Pete

Posted by bert baker on 09/03/2017 20:28:47:

I blew the internal fuse in the transmitter when I plugged a futaba charger in JR have centre pin as negative

I'm not sure of the relevance here, Bert. The power supply supplied with the Taranis has the more common, centre-positive plug. But many sources state that the Taranis has a bridge diode rectifier between the input socket and the internal charger and so will happily accept either centre-positive or centre-negative. Even, I guess, AC?

Just don't try and use an "intelligent" charger via the Taranis socket - that is likely to let the magic smoke out...

Posted by John Privett on 09/03/2017 21:58:26:
Posted by bert baker on 09/03/2017 20:28:47:

I blew the internal fuse in the transmitter when I plugged a futaba charger in JR have centre pin as negative

I'm not sure of the relevance here, Bert.

Or did you mean you tried to charge a JR tx with a Futaba charger?

I assumed you meant you'd tried a Futaba charger on the Taranis and blew a fuse.dont know