Futaba 8J 2.4 Transmitter and suspect DX6

tigerman

Have been thinking for a while about changing my Transmitter.I have two nice model ,a 72" Gipsy Moth and a similar size Harvard. I have been flying them on a Spectrum D6 ( not D6i )Having listened to all the debate about the DX6 and its problems or not I have become totally confused to weather the DX6 is reliable or not but I am not prepared to risk these 2 models so as all my other model are on Futaba I think I will put these 2 model on a Futaba transmitter just to be sure.I like the look of the Futaba 8J transmitter.,I take it this transmitter the 8J will not work with the Futaba 617 FS receiver but that is not a problem because the Transmitter comes with a R2008 SB receiver and it just means I will buy another R2008SB to go in the 2 models ,What is this transmitter like do not want to spend just under £300 just to find myself back at square one and find this transmitters has it.'s problems.A little fed back would be welcome if you have a Futaba 8J transmitter I would like to know what they are like. Anyone want to buy a DX6 ???? yes I know the answer to that "NO THANKS"

Advert

I have an 8J I bought last year as a backup and to use as a buddy to teach my son. Very nice radio even compared to my more expensive 14sg.

There don't seem to have been any issues of note on the forums etc and the FHSS protocol is as good as the FASST system, buy with confidence I would say.

Think I will go for the 10J transmitter.Anyone tell me if you need a degree in computer science to set the models up on this Transmitter or is easy to set the models up on this type of transmitter I have only used the basic T6ex up till now .Reading the manual on the Ripmax site looks a bit confusing but I expect it all comes together when you sit down and go through on a quiet night with a cup of cocoa

Yes I really have gone of Spectrum/E-flite ,.There always seems to be an issue with Spectrum like the problem/or not about the DX6 etc I think I am going to get the Futaba T10J transmitter and will feel confident about flying my Gipsy Moth and Harvard again .At the moment I do not trust the DX6 to fly them .I have been told all sorts of thing like the DX6 just for no reason stop sending a signal and I have been told a lot of people have lost models.I know Horizon Hobby will replace the mother board or what ever the problem is but that is not a lot of good if you have just lost a £500 model

I have a T8J and I have been very happy with it. Although the programming is quite intuitive for Futaba users and it will probably do 99% of everything that you would wish, what has put me off the Tx was the cost of receivers. Not too much of a problem if you only build or buy occasionally but my output was a bit on the high side.

Since adopting Taranis, I have hardly used my T8J but am thinking of resurrecting it for Slope Soarers.

Martyn

Martyn's comment about receiver costs are very valid especially for FASST although FHSS is better priced.

I have used clone FASST receivers from FrSky without any problem on less expensive models / foamies etc and had no problems - would I trust a larger more expensive / complex model to a clone...perhaps!

wink

Jon

Tigerman, have you personally had any problems? I'm a bit surprised you are thinking of spending a shed load of money to change radio brand if you have been using yours with no problem.

I went flying yesterday and out of interest did a quick count of transmitter brands being used to see how they related to the poll on this site. 8 Spektrum, 3 Futaba, 2 Multiplex, 1 JR and 1 Fleet (35MHz). No one was having any radio problems, and that has been the case most weeks I have been flying. The last crash I can remember that didn't seem to be pilot error was a couple of years ago with a Hitec set, but I've no idea if the radio was to blame.

All radio makes are now incredibly reliable

I don't want to turn this into a Spektrum Vs Futaba debate but personally I have seen a lot of brown outs and a few models lost at our club - all without exception on Spektrum. I have never seen nor heard of any equivalent problem on Futaba or any other radio gear...

We all pay our money and we make our choice - that's the common sense bit eh? cheeky

You make a good point Trevor.Now you mentioned it my DX6 has been no problem what so ever.Maybe I am listen to much to the negative gossip put about around the DX6 Trouble is everyone tell me it will ,you will have no problems then suddenly bang you model crashes for no reason.I suppose it a decision I we have to make ,to risk it or shed out a load of cash but have more confident in the radio you are using I will have to make a decision Tricky one!

I can understand you considering changing if most of the people you fly with use Futaba - it's nice to have help to hand for programming etc. But Spektrum is the most popular brand out there now, both the clubs I am in reflect that to a greater extent than the forum survey, so the knowledge base will be high for that brand too.

Regarding the DX6 specifically, there is another thread that concludes that some earlier ones had a single fixed aerial which could give rise to issues if pointed directly at the model. The thread gives information as to how to determine whether yours is the later, 2 aerial type. I have had no known RF issues with the original DX7, DX6i or (previous generation) DX8 that I use now, but always align the aerial along the top of the case.

Very true Steve. And surely we are talking latest models here the voltage sensitivity issue related to some dsm2 receivers years ago

It is important to fly with whatever you feel comfortable and confident with This thread is typical of this type of thread so much incorrect and misleading information Personally I fly both Spektrum and Futaba both are perfect. I am not going to say which one I prefer, that would help nobody