Alternative to a Speed 600 bb

Hy Guys, I need some help please. I dug out and old but only flown once Protech Virage v tail glider out of the loft. It has a speed 600 bb can inside. What is the alternative more powerful modern motor? Prefer an inrunner. So I need to know what motor, esc and prop please.

Advert

Eddy, I'm fairly certain that the Virage fuselage & wings are identical to the Protech Unlimited 600 - both 1600mm span but the Unlimited has a conventional tail unit. Is the motor mount a moulded plastic unit that's fixed to the nose with screws, the motor being clamped to it by a metal strap ?

My Unlimited with a home made canopy :

Unlimited E Powered

Does this look familiar ?

If so I can give you details of inrunner & outrunner (various) motors used, batteries & props.

Had a look on the 4 Max site & IMO none of the inrunners I can find listed are suitable.
The first brushless I used was the HB3615 - 1600kv listed near the bottom of this link - at the time it was sold by Overlander & Perkins under different labels. At first I used it with 7, 8 & 10 cell nickel batteries, all quite successfully but there was drop in weight & a leap in performance when with the availiblity of lipos I changed to 2200 3s lipo. I can't remember what prop I used with the nickel batteries but I used a Graupner 8x4.5 folder with the lipo.
Disadvantage with this motor, apart from the cost, is that clamp holding it couldn't cope too well with the extra power of the brushless motor. The motor tended to rotate in the clamp by a turn or two over a flying session. smile o

Since then I've tried a couple of outrunners. Currently using the Emax 2815 1400KV, with a Graupner 9x5 folder using either a 3s 1500 or 1800 lipo, climb at WOT is vertical.

refurbed unlimited.jpg

Photo with Emax motor & re-covered wings taken last year.

The mods to use an outrunner are relatively easy & I think well worth the effort. In fact I have an Emax 2815 920KV mounted in an identical fuselage with a 6 ft span polyhedral wing bolted on for thermal flying.

igor in red.jpg

This combo gets to 200 mtrs (about 650ft) in under 30 secs.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 21/03/2017 22:50:06:

Mega inrunners used to be available which were the same physical dimensions as a Speed 600, and had the same front mounting system. Don't know if you can still get them.

Trevor, the motor isn't mounted using the front screws in this model.

Posted by ken anderson. on 22/03/2017 09:46:14:

hello eddy-you could saw off the nose and install a ply ring/disc...may give you a better choice of mounting option's.. I've done it before..

ken Anderson...ne...1..... new beak dept.

Not on one of these blown plastic fuselages you haven't. wink 2

Nothing to glue to dept.