Wot4 Xtreme

Martin_H

Started my Wot4 Xtreme build today. Well started the airframe part, anyway. Fitted up the Saito 60R3 Gasser - custom 3 point mount and vibration absorbers. The standard Saito mount wouldn't easily adapt for vibration absorbers so I designed and had cut a 3 point mount that also fitted the Wot4 firewall without fuss. Saito is fitted with a Keleo exhaust collector ring. Wanted as little vibration as possible as I want to carry a pod with LIDAR and InfraRed to do aerial crop surveys. Electric was an option but this combination will give me many hours of on site flight time. Only need to charge 2S ignition and receiver packs! Fitting DuBro 6" inflatable wheels for better suspension.img_1846.jpgimg_1845.jpg

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/04/2017 08:46:04:

Be careful Martin, it might tear the airframe apart..............

Yep, manufacturer recommends up to 55cc 2 stroke gassers, so given the smoothness of 3 cylinders and being a 4 stroke gasser should work in my favour.

Posted by Devcon1 on 15/04/2017 09:01:44:

Very nice, as they say if you're going to get one get a big un.

Cowl fitting will be interesting 😁

Kit cowl is no option, firewall to spinner backplate is 5mm too much! I could machine back the standoffs but the amount of cowl removed would be so excessive as to leave minimal...Might go for a radial cowl if it ends up looking too fugly. Then again, not only getting a big un but if you got it flaunt it!

I would expect the radial to be very smooth....my Evolution is. I will bet my last dollar that the airframe will be OK. Usual things with ARTF though

• check U/C mounting
  • get some form of strengthening by way triangle fillets in anyway you can
  • wire brace the tail. Any vibration seems to affect the tail on big Wots
  • metal geared servos

Stunning build BTW yes

Posted by cymaz on 15/04/2017 09:07:51:

I would expect the radial to be very smooth....my Evolution is. I will bet my last dollar that the airframe will be OK. Usual things with ARTF though

• check U/C mounting
  • get some form of strengthening by way triangle fillets in anyway you can
  • wire brace the tail. Any vibration seems to affect the tail on big Wots
  • metal geared servos

8 kg servos all round and 11 kg on rudder. After choosing the Saito I found Morris Motors do a 4 stroke conversion for Evolution gassers. 7 cyl 77cc radial might have been pushing a number of envelopes, though.

Why would the radial tear the airframe apart? It's much more smoother than a single cylinder engine and has no pulsing effect, just smooth power.

The Wot4 Extreme is designed for a 60cc engine for towing, although mine flies ok with a DLE 40cc flat twin, it won't be enough for towing, where a 60cc would. a Flat twin would be ideal, but for running the radial in, then this is a good airframe to do that.