Max Thrust Riot Debut

Tom Ryall

Well, I finally got back and last night was the night and a cold but nice evening with a 5-10kt breeze dropping off. I met someone at the club, who after I range checked (fine at 30m, no response from the Lemon at 37m?) took it off did one circuit to trim her and then handed across. I'm pleased to say I had half an hour of flying on 2 different packs with no issues fitting in 12 landings and take offs. I'm by no means back to where I was 20yrs ago but it was good to get it up and around and back down in one piece.

First impressions - very stable, I didn't even switch on the stabiliser. Seemed a little underpowered, which is no bad thing at my stage, but throttle was either 75% and up or not doing a great deal. She was better with the new Overlander 35c 3S 2200 lipo. Landings were great and pretty slow although she needed a fair bit of elevator to hold the nose as she slowed down, again no bad thing but it's just getting used to it.

Really enjoyed a successful outing - only down side is knowing I'm 12 landings closer to my next crash! I going to stick with my 3s Lipos but could anyone recommend me a prop that may give me a little more thrust? I'm less worried about speed more about power to climb out etc.

Cheers.

Sorry, ITR was a typo - should have read IR, for Internal Resistance. Some chargers can measure this and the value can then be used to calculate a realistic real world C rating for the pack rather than the fanciful baloney printed on the outside of most lipos! Unfortunately though I don't think your charger has this functionality.

Instead the bet thing to do is to fully charge both packs, get your wattmeter out and measure what current they are pulling static - if there is a substantial difference between the two that is indicative that the one that is providing significantly less current is not up to snuff.

Tony,

Glad to hear it all went well. Surprised yours felt under-powered but I guess it depends on what you were used to. The Riot does float quite well on approach so gentle landings are on the cards. (Hard ones bend the legs so best to be gentle). You might also want to get a prop reamer, drilling prop hubs is a challenge I would not wish to take on. Model shops usually stock them.

S

Stuart,

All noted and as you say she floats along so the first landing after 20yrs was actually surprisingly soft! I did find I had to lean back on the elevator a fair bit though which had the added benefit of it being a slow landing, but I wasn't expecting to need so much! With hindsight it may be that I have a bit of expo on both the elevator and ailerons, something I didn't have 20 yrs ago!

A prop reamer may well have to find it's way in to my growing box of RC model tools.......!

Cheers.

Sounds to me like your CG is a bit far forward; from memory a few of my friend ends Riots have had this tendency too due to a conservative CG position. Maybe try edging it backwards over a series of flights with a 10-15g weight until the handling is to your taste.

Posted by Tom Ryall on 20/04/2017 11:49:24:

Cheers Colin,

I've just checked and I've got an EMP 12x6 on there at the moment instead of the stock, will an APC 12x6 be better than this?

No it won't.....i did tests on several setups and EMP was 5% better than APC. Don't buy into a brand.

Andrew

Hi Tom,

You said "Seemed a little underpowered, which is no bad thing at my stage, but throttle was either 75% and up or not doing a great deal."

IMHO there are a couple of options, if its speed the go 4S & prop down or leave it alone!

Its Riot by name, not performance! Great learning plane, nice to come back to with the rates turned up and fly slow, but it is what its is.... a trainer. If you get bored of it, then its time to move on to something else that has better power to weight ratio.

PS - I remember my son doing face on pulls to vertical and he commented you could see the wings flex..out of devilment I said does it flex when inverted.... and yes they do!...didn't pull the creases out of the decals though!

Posted by Andrew767 on 20/04/2017 20:12:01:

Posted by Tom Ryall on 20/04/2017 11:49:24:

Cheers Colin,

I've just checked and I've got an EMP 12x6 on there at the moment instead of the stock, will an APC 12x6 be better than this?

No it won't.....i did tests on several setups and EMP was 5% better than APC. Don't buy into a brand.

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you for this - saved throwing more money at it!

Chris,

I'm more than happy with it at the moment and there's enough there for me to get in to trouble! I've put a curve on the throttle (again something I didn't have 20 years ago) and that has improved it slightly. Don't get me wrong it is good but equally on a couple of the first approaches when I aborted it just took it's time to build up airspeed.

As I said there is more than enough to keep me occupied at the moment - bar some relatively high loops and rolls and concentrating on just getting the feel back! It was just an observation and a question for the future....if ti lasts long enough!

Posted by MattyB on 20/04/2017 19:59:42:

Sounds to me like your CG is a bit far forward; from memory a few of my friend ends Riots have had this tendency too due to a conservative CG position. Maybe try edging it backwards over a series of flights with a 10-15g weight until the handling is to your taste.

Thanks Matt - I haven't used a weight yet but I have slid the battery back and forwards to see the difference. Interestingly there is a bit of down elevator trim in there already so by moving the CoG back i'd anticipate needing a little more? It naturally edges up when on full power but it trimmed out level at 50-75% throttle (from my limited flights to date)