Sopwith Pup with ASP FT160 twin

Advert

Hi Dave. This is the old style DB Sport model but sadly I can't build much now so I bought this already made by a very experienced model builder with an OS 120 pumped engine and the model was un-flown.

I spent ages trying to get the OS to idle properly but I just could not get it to - even with a remote glo so the guy I got it from offered to exchange it for a ASP 120 which was almost new so I changed it over. Although the ASP 120 engine was reliable it did not have the "grunt" of the OS and that grunt is needed at our coastal site and in a 15 mph wind you would see me struggle and I was getting concerned I could lose the model as sometimes it was a real fight to get it down andthe flights were not at all a relaxed flight so another engine was the only way to go. A friend had this ASP FT 160 surplus as he is now into aerobatics and 40cc twin OS petrol so it was the obvious choice to go in the Pup - now I can fly in a wind and feel much more relaxed while flying... Regards Peter

Hi Paul. Glad my post induced you to get your model out today. I cold not get out over the weekend so another day gone but family come first... Regards your comment on being overpowered I have not found that as I tried to use a larger prop to keep the revs more scale so I use a 19 x 6 wood prop and find the power it produces adequate for the model without losing that lovely sound which is the four stroke. One issue I had using the 120 size was that to get the power I had to go for a "performance prop" which meant a small matchstick prop which looked daft scale and with engine revving hard to get the BHP it just did not look or sound right. This ASP FT160 fill every aspect of my desire on this plane and I am well pleased and looking forward to flying it again. Regards Peter