Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?

jrman

It’s slowly coming on . As said more reinforcement beams will be added and it needs tidying but the engine vent is now in the air will also flow around the exhaust and carb and be extracted via the side cowl vent. I plann to add a front plate of balsa in the fibreglass cowl and make a baffled air channel in it at 8 o’ Clock directing air to the engin

Cheers Ron 😊. Like Bob I was also worrying about the front of the wing and F2 so I actually moved F2 slightly forward and made up for that by backing F2 with balsa where it touches the top deck. Theo’s should leave space at the bottom to fit a “wing bumper” plate with strong dowel holes. There is some ad libbing to be done on this model and I’m taking it slowly. Anyway the white glue dries slowly so it’s bit by big . 😊

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 20/11/2017 18:51:54:

...... The back of cockpit deck height is 8 cm and front 7cm that looked ok . We will see later if canopy fits....I’m sure I can make it work anyway 😊

That's what I found(-ish) and when I put the cowl on there was a visible kink in the fuselage top line that looked wrong to me. The top line of the cowl flows straight back along the fuselage with no deviation, at least it does on the scale drawings that I have and Richards plan also shows the top line of the deck parallel to the crutch. The canopy will almost certainly fit ok with the kink so it's not terminal.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/11/2017 23:35:43

I think I worked out that I had just about 12cm between F1 and engine prop driver in order to clear the cowling...so there was no choice . If I had 14 or 15 cm I wouldn’t have needed to do the cutting of the firewall. I’m not sure that Pete mounted his engine further back. The difference is that i’m boxing the rear to keep the oily engine etc and airflow in front of F1. I’m trying to avioid oil eventually blowing into the main fuselage .

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 21/11/2017 09:07:56

Hi Peter . I will also be adding some thick balsa in front of F2 to allow the cowling to locate in a “grooved” balsa rim in front of F2 rather than overlap it . ( that looks the same as you have done). The cowling is too short on mine to be able to overlap F2. My front end still isn’t finished as it was only started last weekend.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 21/11/2017 10:19:05

Hi again . If anyone has yet to sandpaper the wing tips I have a tip ( no pun intended) 😉. Before using the usual excellent permagit block I reduced the wingtips down with a coarse bladed drywall jabsaw used on its side. This makes very quick work of the balsa and the tips can then just be finished with the permagrit block. Saves lots of time with dusty sanding!

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 28/11/2017 10:59:40

I used a razor plane on mine Tim, the 1/32" ply inserts I added at the trailing edge are proving their worth already.

I've extended the 1/32" ply fairing bases right up to the leading edge, I've got the triangle stock in place and I've found a decades old piece of superlight block that I've got marked up for the fatter rear section of the fairing as I'm pretty good at poking holes in 1/16" sheet as is suggested for this bit in the instructions.

Cheers Bob I will note then when I get that far . I have only just started the wings and marked out the aeleron lines. That’s next job . I do have a question regarding running that 1/32 by 3/8width ply along the trailing edge. Did you just stick the strip along the bottom of the trailing wing edge? I guess it will need a fair bit of blending in with filler to prevent a bump?

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 28/11/2017 11:53:53

Mine is just a triangle let into the tip block at the rear as there's not much meat left when the block is sanded down level with the wing panel and the aileron. Here's a not very good pic:

Wingtip.jpg

I was thinking of giving the trailing edge 3 or so coats of PolyC to stiffen it up though I do have some 1/64" ply somewhere.  That would be pretty much invisible.  My daughter got me some brown paper from Sainsbury's yesterday, I suspect it's a bit thicker than neccessary being Sainsbury's!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/11/2017 12:27:22

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly Ron. All I've done in the last few weeks is to build up the wing fairings and sheet the rear underside.

Plus give the wing and aileron T/Es three coats of Poly-C to stiffen them up.

It's not from lack of opportunity as I've had 6 weeks in front of the telly, just lack of enthusiasm. I finally had the bone pin pulled out of my foot last week and two days later went down with norovirus. Please God, let 2018 be better crying