WANTED.... Waterhouse & Eley " Super Fly "

I originally posted a wanted for any Waterhouse & Eley " Super Fly " 5 years ago and luckily found 2 (pictured below) which both flew 100% faultlessly and the time has come that i would love to own one again so to repeat my search once again....

do you have a 1975 Waterhouse & Eley " Super Fly " ???

and want to sell i already have one and it flies very well, ive been flying super fly's all my flying life and would like to buy more

what im looking for is complete airframes or an untouched kit if you happen to have one

if you have one and want to sell please give me a call on 07572 130441 or email me @: [email protected]

556515_10151205611752915_1526319926_n.jpg

Edited By Hawke225 on 08/05/2017 20:49:34

Hi Percy

I remember reading yours and Tom's replies to my original post 5 years ago,,,, like you I am well experienced in model flying as ive been flying for 28+ years now .... The Super Fly was the very first plane i learnt to fly on back in the late eighties and it is my all time favourite trainer of which I've had many over the years and would love to find one again if i can

I Must also say that and being 100% totally honest ,,,, I've never had a Super Fly that was over weight as you call it and that didn't fly as well as mine did ... maybe i was one of the lucky ones with the Super Flys

• 5 months later...

UPDATE........

Hi All,,,, Ive found one at last

Back in may i started this thread looking for a Waterhouse & Eley "Super Fly" Whether it be an airframe or a complete original kit, which i particualy wanted to find one again to mark 30yrs since i started flying which is coming up in 2 years time

The Super Fly was the very first plane I learnt to fly on back in the late eighties ....which I had 2 of them back in 2012 (see photos above ) along with the many others I've had over the past 30 years almost,,,, I must be honest, it was a bit of a long shot to find one again as the Super Fly was produced in 1975 (42 years ago) and are now very hard and rare to find... but the wait has paid off as thanks to Vincenzo Grà I now have a full untouched Kit

Although I'm not intending to fly it when its built as my health wont really let me keep flying much longer and now I have one,,, i will build this plane when i get round to it to tie in to celebrate my 30 yrs in the hobby I can 100% say my RC Flying days are now all but over which over the past 30 years almost has been the best fun I could have had

$_86 (3).jpg

$_86.jpg

$_86 (1).jpg

$_86 (2).jpg

Well done 30 years flying ,

I met a guy a few weeks back as i was making my way up Pule Hill.

I offered to carry one of his gliders for him then i asked him how old he was .

He replayed 73 gosh i wounder how long he has been flying for .

Oh come to think of it i have been flying model aircraft for over 30 years my O my where does the time go.

Keep twiddling those sticks .

Nice to hear you managed to get that model in the end thumbs up

Steve

Nostalgia, I think that's what Hawke is probably on about. Built a KK Cadet glider when I was about 12, and was thrilled when I recently saw kits are still out there. It did occur to me when researching a Winter build, that I was born in1938 lol, and so was the Lanzo Bomber!!!. Could I build this model and fly it next summer, a possibility, sad or what . Cheers

• 2 months later...

Enough talk. Here is one flying. I built it when I was a teenager and flew it only twice. It sat in the attic for 40 years. Last year I pulled it out of the attic, converted it to electric and started flying again. Do not ask me how it compares to other power models since this is the only power model I have flown. I normally fly slope soarers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MuSpQDmbdl4

Motor is NTM Prop Drive 35-36A 800KV from Hobbyking.

Speed controller is Hobbyking 60A ESC 4A UBEC (lots of safety margin). I don't use the UBEC part.

Prop is APC 10x6E.

Battery is 2450 4S 30C.

Setup runs at about 25A.

Motor and ESC is capable of producing a lot more power but is limited by the size of the prop which in turn is limited by ground clearance. I did change the wheels to 80mm and could go up to an 11 inch prop but have not tried that yet. In hindsight I would probably have been better off with a bit higher KV.

Eric

• 2 months later...

Hawke225,

Good progress on your model. Looks like you are going electric.

I've included some pictures of my installation below.

I have a 4.8V AA battery pack hidden in the foam above the LIPO. The speed controller is mounted on the RHS. There is a hole in the fuselage on the bottom at the RHS for ventilation. The LIPO is mounted to a plywood plate using Velcro and in addition secured by a Velcro strap. My Velcro strap is too far forward and difficult to access. Do not make that mistake. I have to remove the wings to connect/disconnect the LIPO. To insert the LIPO I use a plastic strip placed on top of the Velcro, slide the LIPO in, then remove the plastic strip.

img_2333.jpg

img_2330.jpg

img_2331.jpg

EP

Hawke225,

I also noticed from your picture that you have the rudder only version. I have the aileron version. I have uploaded another video to youtube. This is a video taken from a camera mounted on the SuperFly. You do not see much of the Superfly!!!

**LINK**

I now have a second power model which should keep Percy happy. It is a WOT4 foam e . They are different beasts. No trouble moving from the Superfly to the WOT4. I'm still planning on taking my Bronze certificate with the Superfly though (sentimental reasons). Bronze is the Scottish equivalent to BMFA A certificate.

E.P.

Percy,

Nice thought. The problem is the Centre of Gravity. The 4.8V battery pack is providing nose weight. After removing the battery pack I would have to replace it with nose weight to get the COG back to where it should be. True I might be able to get the weight a little further forward but I would not gain anything like the 4 oz of the battery pack.

I have thought about it but in order to really gain I would have to replace the tailplane with a lighter built up tailplane to truly get an advantage. No matter how much I tweak, it will not match the weight of the wot4 foam e!

EP

The Superfly was marketed as an 'ARTF' back in its day, but needed a fair amount of work
to complete. I recall fitting the bulkhead accurately with polyester resin & glass cloth
and other odd jobs on the fuselage were quite daunting for a young newbie.
My 3 channel version flew nicely enough on an Enya 35, but that's nostalgia.

Good luck with your electric version - it's an attractive model with a Cessna look.

Edited By Richard Wood on 04/04/2018 08:25:26

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/04/2018 21:53:00:

Just use a larger capacity lipo EP. Something like a 3300 or maybe even a 4000mah. It should still go in if you devise a fixing similar to the one I described earlier. A larger capacity pack will give you a further 2 or 3 minutes in the air, at roughly the same overall model weight.......

Then you really could lose that 4.8v pack...........

That was really the problem with these models. That awful glassfibre fuselage moulding had the weight in completely the wrong places, with little strength where it was needed most!

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/04/2018 21:56:42

I thought it was a reasonably good fibreglass fuselage moulding for its time Percy
it was a good attempt from W&E to market a realistic looking non-boxy trainer.
It wasn't the lightest fuselage admittedly & that was its compromise, but it seemed
strong enough around the bulkhead & landing gear mount with a little laying-up with
resin & glass cloth in these areas.

Edited By Richard Wood on 04/04/2018 09:54:55

Percy,

I looked up that Robbe Progo. It weighs 2.4-2.5kg. That is a similar weight to the Super Fly, maybe even a few oz more so I would expect similar performance. I bought my Super Fly when I was at school. No way I was paying 50% moresmiley.

The Super Fly has survived a couple of crashes for me. It doesn't owe me anything. It got me back into power flying. I like the way it has no real vices (tip stall etc.) but you have to fly it and it requires a bit of anticipation. It flies more like a real plane, You cannot go ballistic like you can with something like a Hobbyking Tundra to get you out of trouble or take off and land in a couple of feet. The landing speed is significantly higher than current trainers but not impossible. i.e. It flies like a 5lb model.

When I want to tear around the sky I use my WOT 4 foam e. 1/2 the weight and about the same power.

EP