Electric Fuel Pump

Hi All

I use an electric fuel pump connected to a power panel for my glow fuel. I find that if I have not used the pump for a day or two it slows down considerably, until after a few minutes of 'dribble' it suddenly bursts into life with full flow. I assume it needs lubricating to get it up to speed, but is there anything I should do post fliying to lubricate it so it is ready to sit and hopefully come up to speed quicker for the next session?

Any advice gratefully received.

Tim

Advert

After going through several electric fuel pumps all of which were hopeless (why did I bother?) fifteen years ago I bought a Dave Brown 'six shooter' manual pump............fifteen years ago maybe more! Never had to touch the pump internals, goodness knows how many gallons of fuel its had through it. Just checked and they're still available from Nexus Modelling Supplies.

Still use a glow panel, but just to charge my glow stick on the field and the meter is useful for checking for a blown plug. Run my Sullivan starter from an old 3S lipo, loads of power, just one charge usually lasts all season.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/05/2017 17:02:14

OK, electric pump Tim. There is no cure if you use castor

But if you use synthetic fuel, then after you have enjoyed your flying day and emptied the final tank

Remove the feed from the fuel bottle and press fill just a few seconds to send air through it

It will work next time out

Thanks all.

I recognise the arguments for manual pumps, but in 5 years only once have I had the glow affected by the battery drain from the starter, and I now have a 2v battery for such eventualities. I have found if the 12V battery is working OK it all works very well.

I did find yesterday that the filter in the fuel tank was causing flow difficulties, so I have resolved to take the steps above plus clean the filter more regularly.

Thanks again.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cheal on 13/05/2017 10:27:48

Edited By Tim Cheal on 13/05/2017 10:28:07

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/05/2017 16:49:03:

Lithium powered glow start Extra Slim? It has to be an RCATS. A superb bit of kit, man enough to energise both plugs of a twin. It has intelligent circuitry too, in that if you put a plug into the glow clip, energise it and then place it in a glass of water, you can see the amperage increase to cope with it being submerged. All clever stuff. It has a big capacity lithium cell too, and only needs charging once or twice a year.

Of course genuine quality costs, and the RCATS isn't cheap at £100+, but you do get a seriously good bit of kit. I've had mine for years, and find it far better than sub c cell glow starts that never seemed to have enough charge in them when I needed them.

thumbs up had my RCATS lithium glow starter for 11 years now. Same for me, one charge at the beginning of each season is all it needs. Top quality product.

I've used a mechanical pump for years but the gears went brittle and broke recently - I had some spares from another pump but used the supply up!

I'm using an old electric pump from a power panel at the moment - encased in a box with an old 3S LiPo, which I knocked up to keep me going but I managed to leave it at home the other week. I managed OK though - I have a fitting with a tube to the bottom of the fuel bottle and a vent, both with nipples, so I connected a spare piece of tubing to the vent and pressurised the bottle with the bicycle pump that I keep in the car to pump up retracts and clean gunge from (other people's of course) neglected carburettors. It filled it so easily that I'm thinking of patenting the idea!

Sorry Martin but you are behind the times here. Someone,I believe Mia produced a similar idea years ago. It was a pressurised garden sprayer with a tap instead of the spray lance. You put you fuel in the tank and pumped it up. I wish I. Had not replaced the tap with a spray lance for use in the garden or at least kept the tap. Anyone else remember these?

Not sure if anyone has suggested pressurising the model tank.I did confuse the issue by referring to the tank but in reality meant the tank or bottle that came with the pressure pump. You put your glow fuel in it in the same way you would put your weed killer in the garden sprayer The method Martin and I both mentioned pressurised the fuel bottle. Those MFA sprayer type things worked well and I wish I still had it or could get another one. At the time I also had an electric pump and needed a garden sprayer so I modified it and over the years have lost the tap

Edited By gangster on 18/05/2017 10:38:20