Mustang p51d

Martian

Enough silliness , as you can see the outside of the box shows a very detailed drawing clearly showing layout of parts and inside an excellent 27 page photo guide on construction plus a large 2 sheet plan all though not in the usual sense of a plan. This kit cost £139 plus postage from Hurricane models . The laser cut parts mainly balsa and some lite ply are excellent quality . A full hardware package is included comprising wheels uc legs all horns (very good quality) screws bolts control rods control dowels shrink sleeves spinner a painted pilot decal set in fact nothing seems to have been forgotten ,recommended glues are white pva ca and uhu por, the control surfaces are preshaped and tapered , highly recommend these kit from sfm and I feel its going to be a fun build. Not sure at this point how scale it can be finished,

• 4 months later...

Well less than a week ago I started this kit having perused the manual at length I had fully intended to log progress with piccies but it has gone together so well I never stopped to take any. I am now at the stage where the fuselage is virtually complete ,it should be finished by the end of today. The manual is as is always with these things in black and white rendered from colour images therefore the contrast is very poor making it hard to I'd e notify the parts but reference to the 1-1 drawing it can be worked out also some of the text identifies the wrong part no . Other than that its a 'll good fun. I will post pics if anyone is interested

welcome to the planet earth there Martian.....I've used the chrome oracover/profilm,make sure that your RX aerial is well exposed out in the open.....because the covering will shield the signal is some circumstances....resulting in a couple of seconds of hair standing on end scenario's ......... kulou

ken Anderson...ne....1..... raised hair dept..

Here are some pics as promised, but first some observations the balsa used in the tail feathers/leading and trailing edges plus wing tips is very hard and therefore takes some serious sanding but once done they look good and don't bruise ,the wings were straightforward to build but care has to be taken with the sheeting as all sheets are glued together before placing on the wing. The U/C mounting is the same regardless whether retracts used I'm using HK retracts ( HK-15090S ) these have a metal trunion and 4mm pin fitted but not required the grub screws are located either side of the trunion and not easy to see, they are a excellent fit onto the recessed mount. The retract door is designed to be held in place with wheel collets on the u/c wire unfortunately this method lifts the door about 4/5mm clear of the wing skin so i'm going to use brass straps

img_20171019_2032410_rewind.jpg

img_20171019_2033293_rewind.jpg

img_20171019_2034083_rewind.jpg

img_20171019_2036130_rewind.jpg

This kit allows for a slight modification to fit retracts but to actually modify is a little more than slight , first the bend has to be cut off so the leg fits in the retract that bit is ok next the door is held in place with collects slid over the leg not ok the door sits about 4/5mm above wing skin so fitted the door to the leg with brass straps but that is not enough the door still sits to high about 2mm ,decided to remove the retract mounting plate and make a spacer so the retract unit sits lower in the wing trail fit shows a reasonable fit so onto the next bit ,pics below

img_20171023_2011301_rewind.jpg

img_20171023_2012172_rewind_kindlephoto-27424930.jpg

Received my Warbird Rep Spitfire retracts today all though a similar method of mounting the main difference is the u/c leg in that the spit one only has one coil whereas the Mustang has 2.5 coils that brings the leg above the wing skin so I Will see how it all fits and if necessary make a pair of new legs with one coil although this gauge is a pig to coil .

Posted by Mike T on 26/10/2017 01:29:49:

What about some HK 'oleos'? You get the spring, but without the coil.

Nice looking kit, BTW...

Edited By Mike T on 26/10/2017 01:30:18

Thanks Mike it is a consideration I'm not sure whether there is a debate about oleos being to rigid on grass

• 5 weeks later...

I,ve enjoyed building this SFM kit and was hoping to add scale detailing but there are quite a number of areas that would not make it look authentic so I have settled for stand of scale, I covered most of the plane in chrome oracover but found that just to shiny and as has been pointed out shows all marks so have oversprayed with rustoleam chrome spray can from B&Q the result is in my opinion much better producing a near ali finish. The colours and markings are from a Tuskegee red tail Lollipoop

pictures are not great

dscf8837.jpg

dscf8836.jpg

dscf8835.jpg

dscf8834.jpg

dscf8833.jpg