Mustang p51d

Martian

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by McG 6969 on 19/12/2017 09:22:22:

Hi Martian,

May I ask you why you applied the US-stars 'upside down' on both fuselage sides... question

Cheers

Chris

Oh heck yes I never realised there was a right way so the answer is ignorance ,I will see if I can correct it and post a pic for your approval😊

Posted by Happyface 838 on 19/12/2017 08:41:09:

Looking forward to starting on my latest acquisition, the sfm Mustang. Which powerset did you go for and how does it fly?

Hi Happyface I used as reccomended in manual it hasn,t flown yet wrong time of year, you will enjoy building it

Posted by McG 6969 on 19/12/2017 12:26:45:

No need for my approval, Martian.

I was just teasing you. blush

But consider yourself 'relieved' that Danny is not lurking into this Classroom... cool

Cheers

Chris

Hmm Chris that,s a good point I will have to put it right or risk being banned from the Fury club

Posted by Martian on 19/12/2017 21:09:49:
Posted by Happyface 838 on 19/12/2017 08:41:09:

Looking forward to starting on my latest acquisition, the sfm Mustang. Which powerset did you go for and how does it fly?

Hi Happyface I used as reccomended in manual it hasn,t flown yet wrong time of year, you will enjoy building it

Thanks Martian, I'm looking at going for a lower kv and using a ramoser Vario prop of a slightly larger diameter, with 4 blades. It would be nice to put in some nice, scale touches, but is certainly more stand off scale.

Christmas out the way then, let the build commence.

• 3 months later...

A day Nd a half into the build and the fuselage is getting there, I have trouble putting ( fun) stuff down once started (wife would like that to apply to boring stuff too).

I have modded the underside to blank off the cooling holes and added a scale (ish) radiator outlet (interesting on the full size, read about the Meredith effect). I am considering moving the tailwheel to a more scale location too (although it won't retract).

So photos......

• 1 month later...

I just can't help myself! Wings almost complete now, but I had to deviate from the plans lol.

The standard u/c position was a little wide for my liking, so I've relocated them inboard into the next 'bay' and manufactured some hard mounting points for the oleos. They now occupy a more scale position and I'm contemplating having a go at some mechanical inboard gear doors too that are opened/ closed by the cycling wheels.

I've decided to up the game in the powerset stakes too and will be going 6s 2650mah, 80a ESC, driving the 12.8 inch Hamilton standard 4 blade prop. Pitch will be set on a watt meter, but expected to be around 8 inch.

I've managed to use the standard spinner and machined the other 2 blade exits and it looks really good.

Can I justify £30 on a robart retractable tail wheel?

Trying to find a different colour scheme and so far the one for 'Lou IV' is looking favourite. Just hope that the paint will adhere to the filmmive got for covering.

Thanks for the comments Percy, the tail feathers aren't fixed yet, I was just checking alignment (and taking advantage of seeing it looking like an aeroplane).

The 4 blade prop is a bit of an experiment, using a varioprop as I'm intrigued with it, I suppose I could have used a 2 blade hub, but my heart won that battle. I know that it is far from scale, as there is an awful lot of built up structure, but I do like to fiddle 😋.

I hear you ref the tailwheel, although even if fixed, I'd like to move it to a more scale location, we'll see.