North East sloping

Has anyone had any luck finding any slope soaring sites up north? Theres a complete blank spot on all the maps I've checked when it comes to up here. Newcastle is nearly always windy, I wish i could actually take advantage of it!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'm not familiar with any soaring clubs up there I'm afraid. Ever tried coastal soaring? It looks like you have miles of good NE facing coastline to chuck one off of, with great access too. Having a quick scout about I can see Marsden Beach has some decent cliffs with close parking and a coastal footpath - might be worth a poke, but of course have a good look around for any local byelaws prohibiting model aircraft.

To find some facing the SW prevailing winds, you'd need to get back towards the North Pennines it seems. If there are National Trust owned hills, we have a good rapport with them and permission to fly from most (if not all?) of their land, as long as you are flying a pure glider. Again, a check of local byelaws and adjacent land-owner's permission would be a good idea.

Lastly, have a search around for any hang gliding clubs. They may have permission to fly off of some more local sites, and can't fly in what we'd call a "good wind", so maybe take advantage of their loss? Again, checking permissions etc. and clearing it with their club if needed.

Good luck, and good winds! yes

Edited By Andy Meade on 08/06/2017 13:33:25

Thanks for the kind replies, I appreciate it.
I've thought about chucking one off a cliff a few times but I am very much a beginner and it's quite terrifying! Also the the wind is nearly always going out to sea.
I had a look into the weardale model gliding association and asked to join their Google plus site so will wait and see.
Thanks again guys
DF

hello davef..welcome from me--there is a place not far from you at the sea front....called seaton sluice(not far from whitley bay)..check out the map link.the bit that is normally flown is the part called collywell bay. if the wind is NE direction there are a few local lads who go there....... friendly advice available etc..... some will give you some good advice...there are some hills as well that people use up in the wooler area...

ken Anderson...ne...1...gliding dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 12/06/2017 17:53:27

Posted by Dave F on 12/06/2017 12:32:08:
Also the the wind is nearly always going out to sea.

As a child, growing-up in Whitley Bay, and spending much of the school summer holidays on the beach (I'm going back a decade or two, or three or four or...) it seemed the (cold) wind was always blowing in off the sea. I guess our perception of things depends on what we're hoping for, and noticing that much of the time we get the opposite!

I rarely get up to that part of the world these days (well, apart from this weekend when I had my first, very brief, visit in about 4 years!) but Collywell Bay is a good suggestion as mentioned by Ken. You'll probably find Ken, Pat and others from the Blyth club there when the wind is right. I've also flown from the cliffs by the Brierdene car park in W/Bay - but look out for the strong rotor on landing caused by the very square edge at the top of the cliff. I've also seen photos of small gliders being flown in Southerly winds from near Collingwood's monument at North Shields - though I've no idea to what extent it's 'permitted' (or tolerated?) there!

Ken and Pat can, I'm sure, advise of other places inland where there are decent slopes.

Edited By John Privett on 12/06/2017 19:08:27

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've somehow turned off the notifications for this thread..
Pat I live near south Shields but can drive to all places mentioned.
Thanks again everyone I really appreciate the help! Also any advice is very welcome as I'm still quite new to it all but getting there slowly.