slope soarer ID please???

Advert

Looks like an Obelix by Chas Gardiner. They were popular for a shortish period in the 80s, but are rarely seen now and are somewhat of an acquired taste - being neither a conventional "wing and tail" model nor a true plank with an optimised section they are inefficient and were outperformed comprehensively by the best slopers of their day, let alone now.

Edited By MattyB on 08/06/2017 19:41:20

They were a great little chuckabout to keep in the car. I built one from the free plan using blue foam for the wings with balsa LE,TE & ailerons. Solarfilm covered straight onto the foam, it was tough as old boots. I once accidentaly backed the car over one wing, the only damage was the tyre tread in the wing & the fus dislodged.
Fixed the fus on the spot then for the next couple of years it flew with the tyre tread still a decorative feature. teeth 2

It had a fairly wide speed range, fast roll rate & a decent loop radius. All in all a good little fun model.

Have had the blue foam parts in the loft for years and years. When starting to think about a house move I dragged the bits out and have nearly finished an electrified version. Am currently covering it with fine glasscloth and water based resin. Impending house move is taking over though.sadsad

Have just had to throw out my box of little bits of balsa and ply. It was so useful, will be lost without it.

Maxg