Wings and Wheels North Weald 2017

Stevo

Why does it cost 12 pounds to get in? If the pilots put on their show for free where does the money go to? Is it to the landowners for just a field? Or does it cost 12 pounds a head to provide toilets ? As I understand it the traders have to pay a lot ( according to the chatter at other shows) and that may be the reason for less traders than previously . You would expect that if the audience paid a high price to get in then all the genuine model traders would have a stand at very low cost and there would be a full complement of traders. Or vice versa if the traders paid a lot then the audience would get in free or at very low cost to provide toilets. But both pay!

It's worth saying that the last time I went to the market at the other end of the field it didn't cost me anything to enter!    Nobody would pay to go into a market or shopping centre would they?

The Bartons Point show is free .............how does that happen?

Edited By kc on 26/06/2017 19:36:00

Advert

Bad Points: mentioned above. Good points: sold 2 of my planes at the swap meet, picked up a west 50T1 & pipe for 45 quid. camped for the sat & sun with some club mates and drank beer. happy days. Planning Weston Park for next Year. If I'm honest I miss the massive swap meet you used to get at the nats. oh well. cest la vie.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 27/06/2017 16:44:42

Maybe someone could ask Jan Stephenson who I believe is the organiser for many many years why so many names weren't there. No Horizon models no Weston Uk no Panic Team. Only 1 Dalek too, maybe too windy for these conquers of the galaxies. I feel some questions asked to the above mentioned lady might give some answers. This was proberly my 15 continuous year of going and have to say I've seen some 1st class shows there. Just a shame that last year was bad and this year even worst. Fingers crossed for next year. Off to Barton's Point in a couple of weeks then to headcorn later in the year. These shows are getting bigger and better. Cross wind or not.

Last year was my second and last visit to W&W. In terms of LMA representation that is for individual pilots who happen to be in the LMA to apply to fly at the show, as is the case for all pilots.No doubt some will be invited, but most have to apply like many shows, the organisers will then either accept of decline the application.

In terms of cost, there is insurance, site hire, toilet and skip hire, commentary hire, fencing and marquee hire and in some cases a profit margin to factor in.

Some shows are run for pure profit, others are run to plough back into club/association funds for the future benefit of members.

Steve, I will never turn down a free pint!

Kell, horizon hobby have more or less gone bust...soo that pretty much answers that one. Cant speak for Weston's and I heard on the grape vine that 'something' stopped the panic team. don't know more than that.

Its pretty funny though as last year everyone complain that it was the 'horizon hobby show' with them hogging all the slots and yet now they are gone there are complaints that they weren't there!

Glad that I did not bother to go. Have been there a few times and each year the traders you expect to be there have become less and less. Many years ago this happened to the Nats. and Sandown because even the larger outfits found it unprofitable to go due to the high fees charged for a stand. I too would like to know just where the 12 quid goes.

Went to WP for the first time since the very first event there which was so good that I doubted if it could be beaten.

I was wrong, the flying display was excellent and you can actually get close enough to see it properly unlike WnW.

Stocked up with fuel etc so no need to go anywhere else before the Nats.

All the expected trade stands were there too. It would be interesting to know how their fees compare at these events.

Martin - I think you are right about fees. Some of the venues charge ridiculous fees it is what always affects so many events. Look at the Model Engineer Exhibition, Sandown, The Nats, etc. It is interesting that when some of these venues open they fight to attract events i.e. Sandown Park in the 70's, Wembley Conference Centre for the ME in the 70's and early 80's, etc. Trouble is once the venues start to grow or prove popular so venue managers start to get greedy when they know they have other alternatives open to them to fill their diary of events.

One must also remember that organisers have to cover the cost of the venue hire and if you have falling attendance numbers it is always going to pressure entry prices and traders pitch prices. I think a recent example might well be Brighton's Modelworld which in the end led to this years event being cancelled (hopefully only a very temporary loss).

I've been going to this show for quite a few years now and It's only about an hour from home so fairly convenient. I got there on Saturday about 9.00am and had a quick look around the Bring and Buy, there appeared to be a good selection at this time but as I wasn't in the market for anything 2nd hand I went off to find breakfast and watch some flying before the 1st shopping spree (I build a fair bit, so need / want lots of supplies). The bacon and mushroom baguette was awesome, it must have had 6 rashers of bacon - I couldn't eat it all but did try my best, the coffee was pretty good as well.

It was a bit blowy and it was excellent to see the skills of the participating pilots, It was quite inspiring and it just goes to show that the flying part of our hobby doesn't need to be limited to perfect weather conditions. Once the display got going I and some of the other spectators enjoyed joining in / taking the mick with the enthusiastic, albeit largely inaccurate, calling of the models. I particularly enjoyed watching the Warbirds generally, the Stearman, the Red Arrows duo and the big Pitts.

The trade presence suited me and it didn't seem much different to previous years. I dropped off a suspect Rx at Macgregor's for Steve to check out and then trawled the other stands for a couple of hours buying all sorts of bits and bobs including stuff that my LMS's never seems to have. My only criticism was that there weren't any shopping trolleys and I had to carry everything. I easily covered the entrance cost with savings made against P&P from ordering on-line.

The best deal I came across was at the YT stand, several of their smaller kits had massive discounts and were down to £250, so if you were in the market for a decent sized warbird with their retracts / wheels it was £470.

I bumped into several of our club's members and most seemed to be enjoying the day with only one disparaging remark about the lack of show bargains - I'm never entirely sure what constitutes a show bargain but I'm assuming it will be a cheap foamy with an AS3X - Urggh?

This is the price list for trade stands at WnW 2017. Cross reference against the site map here **LINK**

I was sent the booking forms when our club enquired about a stand which we didn't take up in the end due to cost and other club commitments.

Flight Line

Hardcore

Flight Line

Grass

Flight Line

Grass

Grass

Plots

1–11

£240

13-19 & 22-32

£300

33&34, 37-39, 42-47

£275

49-72

£200

Corner Plots

Corner Grass Flight Line

12, 20, 21, 35, 36, 40, 41, 48

£350

F1-F10

10’ x 10’ Grass Plots fronting onto concrete situated along the fence line.

£120

For the weekend

Price includes space and passes for 2 Trade vehicles plus occupants. Extra single person Trade tickets are available at £6 per person per day.

Please send ….. .extra tickets at £6 each.

TOTAL £……………….

I have no idea how this compares to other shows.