Puffin Models is Up and Running!

I thought it wise to put this in a new thread:

The new owner of Puffin is Steve Walker. Steve owns a model shop, and the address is 70 New Road, Porthcawl, CF36 5DG. There have been a number of revisions to the web site this week, and www.puffinmodels.com is now up and running, collecting orders, and taking payment. Sandra and I have offered, and given, support to Steve and his family in taking over the business.

I know that Steve and family are planning to trade as Puffin Models at shows during this year.

Regards,

John

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that the old next day delivery at a reasonable rate service is not a feature of the new operation. I made an order on Sunday evening and the postage rate was a little more than for my last order with Puffin. As the size of folding blades I was after was in stock and I couldn't see them anywhere else, I swallowed the £4.95 charge and placed the order, anticipating a delivery on Tuesday - well in time to use tomorrow. Sadly, according to the tracking info, my package is still under the counter of the Post Office where it was left yesterday. I can but hope that the tracking info is inaccurate and the postie braves the dog for me tomorrow morning.

It seems that the current policy is to dispatch within two days of ordering and mine wasn't sent until after I'd enquired with Steven yesterday. Steven told me that this condition was displayed on the website although even with the benefit of hindsight, I can't find it. Furthermore, my enquiry about the change of policy with the new owners sending with 2nd Class postage was met with a question asking me where on the website did it state which service was being used. There is no obvious option visible for any other delivery services - apparently I should have called him if the order was urgent...

Steven's attitude is that if I'm unhappy with the service, I can shop elsewhere. That's a shame as Puffin Models was always a pleasure to deal with and I relied on their service for items I wanted in a hurry.

On the contrary, Puffin has been a great business to deal with and I do want the business to continue to prosper - and hope that any feedback generated here will either confirm that people are happy with the carriage rates or help Steven to understand his market - but I don't think that its (to me) USP of being an ultra quick and reliable business is being enhanced by policies of a 2 day turnaround and second class postage at a price well above what many suppliers charge for first class. I was never let down by goods not arriving the morning after ordering by 3pm under the original ownership

I tried to make these points to the new owner and he has been very straight with me over his breakdown of coatings but my observations seemed to fall on deaf ears. His chosen method doesn't seem to compare with the services previously offered by John and Sandra - perhaps their postal rates/services had changed since my last dealings?

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/07/2017 11:17:29

Just bought a small foamie glider fus and folding prop from another UK supplier (My fus got broken in flight when one folding prop let go and twisted itself into pieces).The package wasn't very big and the postage was £9.95 (within the UK) I couldn't get the part anywhere else...so in this case I had no choice ( other than to throw my model in the bin).

A few months ago I ordered 2 canopies from the plans services, 1 arrived...a few weeks of e-mails eventually saw my second arrive (not good service) again the postage/courier costs was quite high.

I wish I could say costs will come down/ and service get better...far from it I think prices will continue to increase. The £ no longer buys what it used to. sad

The back end of the site is literally a collection of products that are pulled up to the front end that you see by whatever the selection critera is (normally the catalogue section), and leaves out items that have been disabled - the items are "fetched" from the back end to the front end.

I have stayed quiet on this thread, but I do have sympathy with Steve as Sandra and I saw our profits go in a variety of things, not least the monthly bill for postage charges that was as much as twice what we had collected in p&p. I very much see the need for the £5 charge when the costs of carriage can no longer be subsidised by the price of the products sold. Looking at the costs, when we were asked why we no longer listed a model that was the subject of a review at the beginning of the year, Sandra said we did not want to appear expensive because of the new price of the model, and the editor said "But everything has gone up 20%". Last week, I was on the verge of buying a Reichard Svist using a Euro 20 discount voucher (on a Euro 270 model) but held off until the £ picked back up a little, but the £ fell another 15% since then. There are going to be massive changes in many markets, including the UK model market, but I have no idea what they are going to be....