ACE 30 esc

QUADDRA

Hi

I am having issues with folding prop not folding on Multiplex Easyglider, continuing to spin after engine off and acting like a huge air break. I've looked but can not find any way to turn engine breaking on on the ESC so I expect breaking is not a feature. I've gone into stall and thrown the glider around after engine shut down with varying success in folding the prop. Any ideas how to fold the prop with an ESC like this that doesn't appear to have the breaking feature?

Advert

Hi Denis, Thanks for your reply.

They may use this for quadcopters now but when I purchased it 15 or so years ago there were no quadcopters.

That's when I bought the glider, batteries, motor, servos & ESC etc, all at the same time. I literally said I'll have the Multiplex Easyglider and everything that I need to get me in off the ground..

Sometime before that I had purchased the Multiplex Cockpit MM transmitter. I was impressed with the TX so the easyglider was a natural purchase to get me flying on or off the slope.

So if there is no stop on the ESC is there another way of forcing the prop to retract?

If you still have the instructions for the ESC it will tell you if it has a brake feature. If it does you would need a programming card to activate this. The ACE 30 ESC would appear to be discontinued so my advice if you want this feature is to buy a new ESC. I would say that all good quality ESCs for aircraft have this feature as standard. I have used a lot of Turnigy Plush ESCs from HobbyKing. They have proved to be reliable, cheap and have all the features. Here is the 30A Plush esc , about £10. I can't find any info on the brake in the sales description but it definitely has one. You will also need to get the programming card to switch it on if it is not activated. Here. If you do order from Hobbyking make sure you order from the 'UK warehouse' or you will pay more plus may be charged import duty.

Hope that helps.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/07/2017 11:30:27

• 3 weeks later...

RC Plane Flyer,

Hi, and yes, I've tried the rubber band with varying success and exactly as you said UV takes its toll. The band only lasted a few weeks. Seems a bit quick for UV to have done that so fast so I assume the stress of being spun also had a hand in its end.

So looking for a replacement band just to get me by.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi Piers,

Thanks for your ESC recommendation.

I've searched the web and found some details about the ACE 30 ESC and from what I've seen there's no brake. Actually think the ESC is on its way out as it won't fire up the motor but it is still giving me servo control, luckily for me. Still I can't complain as it's got to be the best part of 15 years old.

So just as you've mentioned, I have been looking on Hobbyking. So much choice. So I asked for their advice on components to retrofit the Easyglider. This is what they said:

Folding Propeller W/Alloy Hub 40mm/3mm Shaft 10x6 (1pc)

HK🇭🇰 Warehouse £7.21

HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller

UK🇬🇧 Warehouse £8.55

Your recommendation looks better.

KEDA 33-28L 1000Kv Brushless Outrunner 3S 100W

HK🇭🇰 Warehouse £12.55

and two x Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 35C Lipo Packs

UK🇬🇧 Warehouse £11.16

HobbyKing Programming card for BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller

UK🇬🇧 Warehouse £2.95

The items from UK🇬🇧 Warehouse £4.94 2-4 days

And as you say extra for items from HK🇭🇰 Warehouse £4.57 14-39 days and maybe more for customs.

I think prices are very good but delivery in a possible 39 days is not ideal.

For an extra £11.99 I can have express delivery and get it in up to 10 days. Still not ideal but better than 39 days. When items from HK are under £20 value £11.99 seems a lot for delivery. Possibly still another 10 days.

I have asked them to come up with similar items from Uk 🇬🇧 warehouse but still no reply so probably no compatible replacements.

A pain

I have seen Multiplex 54mm Folding Spinner for 4mm Shaft

£13.99 on the net that they say is designed for the Easyglider and is white so at a distance when gliding is reasonably hidden and looks like a glider, as it should. Quite nice. Would still need props. Can you get white props? I know it's important to get the right props so that would need advice and of course if I actually went for the Multiplex spinner I'll need a motor with a shaft that's 4mm.

All extra shipping as I can't get a Multiplex spinner from Hobbyking.

Just a shame that Hobbyking don't have the motor & folding prop in the Uk warehouse. Maybe they just haven't got round to getting back to me.

You'd think they would want my money.

So again Thank you Piers

Hi Frank,

I think our paths have crossed before, you probably helped out with another question.

The multiplex heron looks like a nice glider. A friend has two Multiplex Cularis that fly well and look great in the air. I was surprised to see that it's been discontinued.

Thank you for your reply and ESC recommendation.

I'd prefer to get everything from the same store to reduce costs if possible. I need another lipo for my 1/10 F1 and want to get another Turnigy nano-tech ultimate as I've found them, actually a number of us have found them to be really good value.

Still, I may not have a choice if Hobbyking don't have what I need in the UK.

My biggest issues are getting components that are suitable, fit my old Easyglider and are compatible with each other.

Also trying to keep costs as low as possible as it is an old Easyglider and I also have a big spend pending as pretty keen on switching over from 35 to 2.4ghz and as this is going to start adding up when I replace all five receivers that I'll need.

Hope the weather improves and you can get your Heron into the air.

Cheers Frank.