What's the best tip you can offer to new modellers?

RCM&E

Forumite spanner posted the following message in the 'Well done RCM&E' thread.

"The best piece of advice I have recieved in my first year - is when flying towards myself, put the stick (aileron) under the low wing to return to level, simple but for me it works."

I thought this new thread could become the place for experienced aeromodellers to post up some tips. Stuff that veterans might take for granted, but newcomers may not yet know. So, what's your top tip?

Advert

the Best advice i could give to a new modeller is if you buy one of those vector thrust electric models just remember the throttle doesnt work the same way !

once you are smitten by R/C flight get yourself along to your local flying club and learn from really friendly people who will help you every step of the way,

i say this because i am self taught and it took nearly 4 months of simulator flying and 2-3 months of actual flying to get into mode 2 !

So Now i can Prang them at high speed in Mode 2 :-)

1. When learning to fly, follow a fixed learning schedule - just keeping the model in the sky so as to prevent it from hitting the ground is only just a start. Andy Ellison's excellent article in the January issue has a flight training schedule and loads of good advice.

2. Don't ditch the trainer too soon after you've solo'd, it'll still have things to teach you for a long time yet.

3. Practice, practice and then practice a whole load more. Never give up, keep practicing and learning and sooner than you think you'll be flying that 'Spit.

4. Have fun.

JOIN A CLUB

I taught myself to fly some 25 years ago on the slope (Guess that why I still enoy a good day on the hillside) but it ws only when I joined a club did my flying start to improve.

Following on from David's comment about a fixed learning schedule, always have a goal in mind each time you take off, be it the roundest loop, most axial roll or the smoothest landing. Look at the F3A schedules (http://www.gbrcaa.org/schedules.htm) and string a few manoevres together. One last thing; join in competitions especially your clubs ones, they are great fun and offer talking points for weeks later, and they give you that 'goal' the next time you comit aviation.

To quote David again - HAVE FUN

Always join a club,And start with a competant flyer,willing to teach,Or you will definately need a bin bag.Iv been at this two years now,and still not near my 'a'certificate.I was unlucky to find a muppet to teach me the first time,And as a result,HE smashed five of my planes.All iv realy done is re-build trainers.But now a good freind,and also a very very good flyer
Mr franks (LLANELLI CLUB )Has agreed to teach me this time,weather permitting.
But no,seriously,Do not try this without
a competant flyer by your side,As belive me,it takes getting used to as easy as it looks. Mike evans.

Get an experienced instructor with a "buddy box"

Practicing your transmitter controls by saying them as you use them eg. throttle up ,elevator up,half throttle ,rudder left can minimise confusion when starting out and you dont have to be flying to practice and with some imagination you dont need a flight simulator either.

Wait for calm weather,dont risk your own plane flying on windy days because of enthusiasm.

A small'ish plane makes a large landing strip larger.

Hi I bought a jublo 3D electric plane. I have seen a couple of videos of the thing and it seems to perform quite weel, even knife edge. Since now I was into helicopters and never flew a plane.

I spend hours on the FMS but not quite satisfied can somebody tell me if there is a better flight simulator to download.

Due to my work schedules it seems i have to learn on my own. Thanks guys and keep it up!!!

steve
you really need to buy one (aerofly pro deluxe)to stand a chance of even getting off the ground first time but i would quite honestly expect the 3D not to last very long if all you have done is fly a sim.
you really need to start with a trainer and more important than anything else join a club.
regards
nasa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As a self taught model pilot (Free flight, control line, single channel r/c and helicopter), my top tip would be to also learn slope soaring. This will teach you much more about model aerodynamics, and EVERY landing is power 'Off', so when you eventualy have the inevitable 'Deadstick' landing it will not be half as traumatic. Failing that, practise as many power-off landings as you can with an instructor, it will pay dividends in the long run.
I must admit to being slightly amused by watching those pilots that one second are flying with gay abandon with a smug look, suddenly scream 'Deadstick!', and propmtly forget all reason, panic, and dump their model in a heap!(Apologies to all those with whom I may have touched a nerve!)
Another very useful pastime is to read as much as you can about all aspects of the hobby, especially aerodynamics and how to set up a model.

Jez, welcome to the game. When you buy your first engine, make sure you get the the best you can afford. In my humble opinion it means going for a well known make (Irvine or OS usually, but others may say different), mainly for reliability. If you plan on joining a club (very much advised), then find out what the majority use, that way you'll get all the best hints and tips on starting and running etc.
Following on from Tom's advice to 'prop up' the dropping wing, I found the best way for me was to imagine myself sitting in the cockpit, and it soon became second nature.
You WILL have dissapointments Jez, but don't be put off, eventually you'll be as hooked as the rest of us.
Steve

• 2 weeks later...
You get what you pay for. I have had many problems with engines over the years and I agree with stevej wholeheartedly. had major damage to models due to motor problems which I dont need as I am quite capable of managing without. Also had many problems with inverted engines.

recently I changed an inverted engine to an OS 46 AX. It fired 1st flick, started 2nd flick and after running a tank full of fuel thru it, had 3 brilliant flights.

this engine is sooooooo reliable I now wait until I can afford better engines.

PS Orientation is the most difficult part of learning to fly. When your plane is coming towards you move the stick towards the low wing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The best thing that I did was get a simulator. I've got real flight G3 and basically taught myself to fly on it. You can crash thousands of pounds worth of models on it trying new aerobatics and aircraft without worrying about the dent its going to leave in your wallet! It also has training demonstrations which can be very useful.

I second the simulator route - I purchased pheonix after a 15 year absence from flying. Spent three weeks flying in the sim and then purchased a Easy Glider electric. All I can say is I now have about seven hours real flight time under my belt with no problems (or none that a dab of slow zap could'nt fix)

And Pheonix only sets you back £70.

In these days of cheap ARTFs, second hand bargains at swap meets and generally more disposable income it is not unusual for beginners to acquire several models before they've even flown the first one. My advice to go along with the joining a club etc is; settle on a sensible model to learn on and stick to it. Don't bring a different model to the field every couple of weeks, you'll only spend most of your precious instruction time trimming it out and getting used to the different characteristics. You will be making very poor use of your instructors time as well as your own. Stick to your one model until you know it inside out and concentrate on the flying skills.

As another self taught flyer......join a club, after that, practice, practice, practice!

Oh, and for "leccy" flyers, after that trainer, have a look at Delta's, I bought a £35 Top Gun 'Slinger'....it taught me more about flying than the trainer did to be honest, get into trouble? Knock the throttle off....it will fly at walking pace without stalling...in fact DO fly it at walking pace...and it has plenty of performance when you need it....and you can't believe how many crashes it will tolerate without damage when you start learning basic aerobatics....£35!!!

• 3 weeks later...
the goddess of gravity will always win,accept this fact or leave it in the box,
but i agree with all on here that sugests the club route,, a good forty trainer on a budy lead,

and remember as pilots we have a 100% track record, we have never left one up there,, all hail the goddess,

phil