September RCM&E

Nightflyer

I must say thanks to David and the team I really enjoyed this month's read. Having subscribed to both print and digital. The magazine turned up early (thanks guys and girls) which is always nice (and very good service) and loved the content.

Two articles particularly had pertinent comments by the writers. I refer in part to the comment about no one has really experienced or understands flying more than someone who has done slope soaring. And yes having been south east born n bred and learnt my sloping skills on the likes of Long Man of Wilmington, and Firle Beacon etc, thought that the comment really hit it on the head.

Coincidentally my 14 year old son started learning to fly this year and he has had immense fun with his Lidl glider conversion and wants to do proper slope soaring. He likes flying my Wot 4 foamie but really has taken a love to flying electric gliders with my Simprop Excel, which leads me onto saying again the comments about introducing some electric glider competition fun can really stimulate the interest in the club especially the hunt for the sometimes elusive thermals!

It is always great when a magazine/writer gets it so right and of course it opens people's eyes and minds up to how diverse our hobby/sport can be and how an 'expert' in one form, can lift that knowledge, expertise and interest when they try another.

Finally, the article regarding hobby holidays I think was a great addition, especially as it also touched on the Modellers week at Brean, which has got me planning on going to that now if I can. It will be great if there is a write up of that later in the year.

my mag was delivered yesterday-all credit to all concerned-I've noticed over the past few months the new layout and content, is working a treat.Of special interest on page 29(the photo of young Asher's) with a bespoke model(Luna) ..... in its new home---appears to be getting looked after....tlc...

ken Anderson...ne...1 .mag/luna feedback dept.

Nightflyer.

You will enjoy the Brean week I'm sure. There are plenty of slopes available (may mean a bit of walking/climbing) but if you've done other sites you will be used to that. Brean Down as the article said has slopes for north and south,Uphill caters for westerlies and Brent knoll has various sites - not been up so not sure which directions, all within a 5 mile radius of the campsite. Power flying is on the beach (1mile max) a recognised council model flying site. There is a daily charge to park on the beach but most of the fliers go there, and the there is a new site this year (hopefully) about 2 miles away to replace the old site by the golf course which has been a bit limiting for the past 3 years. A great crowd of modellers many of whom have been going for many years including about 8 from my club. All stages of ability are catered for and the are usually BMFA examiners on hand for anyone who takes the challnge for A and B tests. There are boats and trucks as well and every year there has beena carvery meal on Wednesday or Thursday at extra cost. There have been write ups in previous years in RC Model World but that won't happen this year unfortunately.

John

Posted by ken anderson. on 01/08/2017 14:23:16:

my mag was delivered yesterday-all credit to all concerned-I've noticed over the past few months the new layout and content, is working a treat.Of special interest on page 29(the photo of young Asher's) with a bespoke model(Luna) ..... in its new home---appears to be getting looked after....tlc...

ken Anderson...ne...1 .mag/luna feedback dept.

Firle is one of my favourites too NF. thumbs up

Thanks Ken, yes the new layout is settling down a bit now. I'm pleased with it.

The Luna is going great, that shot was on the Orme when it tackled 50mph winds and, somehow, held together!

Has anyone noticed the unintentional Banksy-style addition added by the printers?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 01/08/2017 19:00:47

Thanks John Yes about the Green feedback. That is good to hear I used to go when it was at Pontins from 78 as a young teenager through to 97 every year. I always enjoyed it and sounds like Unity Farm has grown the event since it started holding it.

Noted about the RCMW reports of it. I have to admit that I used to write up an annual report for Model Cars for a few years. A possible suggestion for RCM&E would be to do a follow on article for other model holiday venues or holiday weeks if there are more out there. I for one would be interested to know either in the UK or overseas, and yes I like the new format.