Convert to taildragger

Stevo

Hi All,

I've ordered a Pegasus Models Musketeer, with its Trike U/C.

Now, with the field I fly from, there are gremlins that live in the grass, who snatch on to that nose wheel everytime I land. OK, so my landings need practice).

The net result is that the nosewheel leg bends, which is replaceable. But the engine bulkhead takes a battering, and eventually gives up. I'm aware that a taildragger is a little more difficult to handle on the ground, and that's not a problem for me. (the problems start when its airborne..)

My quesion is, the actual conversion. I perfectly OK with building techniques and other mods - where the best place for the wheels? Just ahead of the L.E.?

Advert

Just looked it up. What a smart little plane!

IMO, just ahead of or in line with the LE should be fine. I'd be inclined to fix the u/c to the fus. immediately forward of the wing seat - you may have to mod the fus. to get a 1/4" ply plate in there (with some triangular fillets inside). The swept back style of u/c would look good - and would put the wheel centre in the optimum position. Spats would make it look really good, if you have a bowling green to fly off (I'm guessing not!)

I agree with mike. Do it something like an acrowot and you wont go far wrong. Its a nice little model, and like all of these older kits is likely to be built like a brick out house.

I find that ground handling of a trike with a wonkey nose wheel is far worse than any tail dragger so i would not be worried about it.

When landing your trikes though, are you getting a nice flare so you land main wheels first? when i am training my students love to land like a lawn dart so the nose leg touches first. This is what normally does the damage.

I've got a Musketeer, though mine's electric. I think the answer to your problem is very simple, much easier than converting to a tail-dragger, move the CofG back very slightly so you can flare it out properly. Fitting larger wheels will help too. Just 5mm made all the difference for me.

Thank you everyone.

The kit is yet to arrive, but I can plan ahead. My usual take is to reinforce the bottom of the fuselage as much as I can, epoxy.. 6mm ply.. concrete... but then use 6mm nylon bolts for the U/C. Any heavier than usual arrivals will shear the bolts and not tear out the fuselage

Posted by Andy48 on 18/08/2017 12:46:06:

I've got a Musketeer, though mine's electric. I think the answer to your problem is very simple, much easier than converting to a tail-dragger, move the CofG back very slightly so you can flare it out properly. Fitting larger wheels will help too. Just 5mm made all the difference for me.

Have to agree thumbs up.