I've never seen this before.

Devcon1

Like many today it was a glorious day for flying and certainly at our strip some very powerful thermals that had to be escaped from if you wanted to live to tell the tale.

During a lull in flying we started to see grass falling from the sky all around the field, now there was very little horizontal wind speed and it was falling from height.

Never seen the result of thermal activity taking stuff from ground level and carrying it away, it was quite surreal.

Advert

Seen this many times on the farm over the years,on hot days mini twisters form [ only three or four feet across] and if they cross a field with loose dry hay or straw some gets sucked up in the air and can then be deposited some distance away.

I have seen them quite frequently during the summer months. They usually form in the afternoon of really hot calm days and can start off small and slowly build up. I was out with a mate once and was about to launch my glider - looking around to make sure the coast was clear I noticed that one of these chimney thermals had formed behind us. Gave him a yelp and grabed my camera for a quick pic. You can just make out his glider heading for the thermal from stage left.

dusty thermal.jpg

This particular beasty was a whopper and stayed around for another 10minutes or so. I managed to launch and join my mate for a bit of a frolic. The twister had formed in a plowed paddock on the other side of that maize and was full of dust. When we eventually landed our gliders were covered in dust and it had also got inside the fuses as we had vents to cool the electronics. Everything was coated in fine dust and we had to give the insides a good blasting with compressed air at home. Great fun and very kind of mother nature to give us a pointer to her free ride.

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/08/2017 10:34:39

Posted by J D 8 on 28/08/2017 11:45:22:

That was a whopper, most last less than a minute. Good pic.

Yep, it was the longest lasting one I have seen. After about 5 minutes the bottom broke away from the ground and the whole lower part turned into a ball which drifted up and away left to right. We followed it until it got too far away - awesome.

You can often spot these thermals by seeing small things circling in a cone shape, sometimes you might spot bigger things laugh

Edited By KiwiKid on 30/08/2017 04:10:52

I'd love to try it though....

Reminds of a time about 40 years ago at my old club, it was the days when farmers used to burn fields for some reason and thought I would try and fly a tow launched glider over the burning field thinking I would go up, from memory it was a rather stupid thing to do as I seem to remember it was like trying to fly in a tumble drier... crook