Hello from me too

Dave Cunnington

Hi all, I've been lurking here for some time and decided it was time to join.

I'm 74 years young and an ex private pilot, decided to stop restoring cars as a retirement hobby (spannering is getting too difficult) so I'm taking up rc flying instead

Never flown rc before, used to do free flight many many moons ago and currently playing with a sim proves I have a lot to learn

I bought an old Super 60 which is nearly rebuilt and recovered, and also have bought a used Tiger Trainer

I live in Gainsborough Lincs and looking for advice, someone to train me to fly, and perhaps a club to join.

I joined the BMFA at the Nats last Sunday, a great day out.

Rgds DC

• 4 months later...
Advert

I am new to this too, and have spent a fair bit just smashing plane's into the ground, I will join my local club to learn to fly but in the mean time am having a go at building so my experience is not just buy plane, go to park, crash plane and start again, lol. I hope you enjoy your new hobby!!

Thanks guys

We have a time share in Florida each Autumn so I joined a local club out there and got some experience and training but had to return to UK before going solo.......first time driving RC and it was an eye opener !

Back here in UK I've joined RMFC the local club in Retford Notts, and awaiting better weather to continue trying to master this black art !

Having bought some crashed planes from ebay I've quite enjoyed fixing and recovering them, and will put them back on ebay soon - unless you want two cheap trainers Robert ?

Greetings from Flu bound Lincolnshire - I will get better !

Hi Dave

Our club used to fly from a private strip where there were a lot of good full sizer pilots and one ACE homebuilder.

Quite often we would let a full size pilot fly one of our more docile models

The normal reaction was

"Ye Gods!!!! This is much harder to fly than the full size!!"

I should add that one day I was taken up in a TIger Moth and given the controls. These were very hurredly taken back by the pilot!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/01/2018 10:02:33

PV I was not decrying the sport, calling it a "Black Art" in my mind is a mark of respect for those that can !

PM I learnt to fly full size on a Tiger Moth back in 1961, not an easy beast by PA28 standards

On my first rc flight my reaction was exactly the same as your guy above. Apart from the obvious right/left towards/away from you which the Sim helps sort out (until you get it wrong for real one day - rt wing down on flare so why did I push it further down instead of up?) Subsequent new uc bolts and reattached fin/ruder and we flew again

The distances and perspectives are still being worked on in my mind - in the US I knew where the trees were and managed to avoid them - in Retford I shall have to learn a full set of new visual cues

Despite having my mind's eye set onto the stall speed I still managed to drop it in a few times on landing, have to learn to fly it that little bit faster on approach and even if it does tend to land long whilst losing the speed it won't roll too far - and going around is the safest option if it comes to it !

And finally, from my learning so far, make it do what you want it to do - if it doesn't, then do it again and again until you succeed ** PV indeed by any other name

** using more than one airframe if neccessary !

One rule. Always use the stick to prop up the low wing when it is coming towards you.

I have found that it is easier for the novice to learn on a vintage model. Take you finger off the stick and it will sort its self out.

Had quite a few novices who couldn't master landings. Gave them a vintage model to fly and they never looked back.

In a previous life I used to breed budgies, and tropical fish - thankfully a long long time ago !

I have two Thunder Tiger Trainers (a bit of spare inventory!) one with a Tiger 42, t'other has an Irvine 40. They are old machines but carefully checked over and seem OK. I have 35mhz radio/buddy box in mode 2 and as soon as the WX improves I'll get them run, charged up etc and go fly

They will get me in the air. Meantime, as a "balsa building guy" from way back the Super 60 plods slowly along towards completion.........3 channel to start with, though I also have an aileron wing part built and waiting on the shelf

Plus others to rebuild (Flair Cub bare shell which was never finished) (58 inch Tiger Moth on total rebuild), and four boxed unstarted kits for the future - Ponnier L1/ Bumble Bee/Fournier RF4/ Playboy Senior

Enough for the foreseeable future

Change of thread direction. Does Glyn Sutcliffe post on here ? We were in the RAF together in 1962 and I last saw him at LMA Elvington two years ago