RCGF 10cc RE

Brian Dorricott 1

ps - the article linked above is only one of a great many that Google finds following this theme

pps - sorry for he sidetrack. 

Back on track, apart from the novelty I find no reason to buy more 10cc petrol engines.  I've had a play with one (an Evolution) and honestly think glow motors make for a relatively fuss free, lighter, less smelly and more powerfull package than petrol at this size. 

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/09/2017 10:47:11

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 16/09/2017 09:03:23:

A decent silencer might add a bit to the price.

Looks nice.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/09/2017 09:11:25

Yes, but the end user now has to find his own silencer if he wants to use it at the majority of UK clubs.The engine review doesn't really let you know how noisy it is, apart from a healthy bark, maybe if noise readings were taken in the review, then the manufacturers might just provide some decent silencers.

+1 for Bob C comments......petrol engines at this size are heavier & less powerful than an equivalent glow engine....plus the fuel smells more than glow fuel & the gunge produced is worse....much harder to clean off the model etc.

I really don't see the point.....an SC 46 costs about £60 & is lighter & more powerful than a 10cc petrol motor....why would you pay another £100 for a heavier less powerful engine?

I like my Evo 10 & enjoy running it but as a practical model engine there are better, cheaper ways to turn the prop....wink 2

I can understand wanting a 10cc petrol motor, and it is purely the novelty value of flying petrol on a much smaller model.

It is the same with twin cylinder diesel motors and small glow 4 strokes, they are novel and mostly expensive, and underpowered.

I would pay for a 10cc twin, petrol or glow, 2 or 4 stroke, just to fly them, no matter the cost

Nearly forgot, imagine a 10cc 3 cylinder 4 stroke glow motor on an Astro Hog?

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/09/2017 15:24:00

Off to your nearest speedway track and scrounge some methanol Brian. Nitro isn't essential for most engines so home brew will be easy enough.

I haven't bought fuel from an LMS for years now, I stock up at shows and I suspect there will be plenty of demand to keep MT in business on the show round in 5 or even 10 years - if we are still allowed to fly our toys by then!