Ashbourne Scale Day 2017

I've just had an email from our club secretary that our popular scale event is scheduled for Sunday October 8th with a back-up day a week later on the 15th if the weather looks to be poor.

I'm not the organiser, just the messenger. I assume Chris Poyser and Ian Redshaw have that in hand as usual and will be along later to explain access to or locked site. Usually someone will be by the gate to direct participants to our flying area on the airfield.

I know quite a few forumites have come to Derbyshire to enjoy our facilities in the past and I hope to see some of you next month.

Geoff

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Post Code DE6 1LR will find us, upon your final turn into the lane, (Ladyhole Lane) the post code will take you past our site entrance, from the junction it is only 400 metres or so to the gates on your left, double Galvanised large gates, second set cant miss it its at the end of a runway and if arriving before 10am will be manned after that will be closed but a quick call to a number I will post when date confirmed will get you entry,

deadline for confirmation is Thursday evening will post when I get home from work once weather forecasts have been perused,

chris

The weather forecast seems to be up and down like a yoyo (or, allegedly, a lady of easy virtue's knickers). earlier in the week it was light winds all weekend so I was going toget flying both days. This morning it forecast howling gales both days but I've just looked here and it's windy Saturday but OK Sunday.

Anyway, Chris (ceejay) is yer man for decisions. I'll likely be manning the gate some of the time. We've been lucky the last few years so let's hope Chris has sacrificed the necessary virgins to the weather gods again this year.

Geoff

Hi All

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but after lengthy deliberation and searching the weather predictors we have taken the decision to defer to our backup date of the 15th of October, only a week away, the reasons are that ashbourne has a forcast of between 12 and 20mph winds for sunday with the slight poss ao rain from 10am till 1pm

now on a club day I would normally go up and fly in such a prediction but this aint any ordinary day and folk aretrveling some distance so we want to try to get the best day poss, the airfield was (and is) the highest in England and as such the wind speed can be anywhere from 8 to 15mph higer on site than down in town, and any predictions of moisture in the air can produce quite a mist over the field, some of you will have experienced this in the past,

so we are banking on all these fronts being gone for the following week, will keep you all updated as required

many thank for your continued support of our little event

chris Ian

I may go up on Sunday if it's half decent. I have a FW190 to test fly. Not sure if I'll have the brass face to fly it at the scale day though - it's a Hobby King Glue & Go that arrived on Wednesday morning and is just about ready to go as the glueing is finished

Geoff

Just had an email from the club sec and the Scale Fly-in is ON for this Sunday 15th October. Food will be available from 9am (Staffordshire Oat cakes I guess) and flying will start at 10am.

To get the gate code and further details contact ceejay (Chris Poyser).

Hope to see some of you there.

Geoff

thanks Geoff

yup food is on, tea and coffee too, a brief briefing at 9,55 then its fill yer boots time

access is via our gates off ladyhole lane, which is off the a52, post code DE6 1LR will find you the lane, aprox 400yds on your left the second set og large gates is our site, these will be mammed until 10 then locked, fear not we have thought of this, on the gate will be two padlocks, the large one is coded for club members the smaller one is our event lock and is coded 109 nice and easy, if all else fails call me on 07971669901 or ian on 07773487111 and we will come to you at the gate,

all welcome all scales all types

cheers

chris ian

if

Never believe the forecasts. It was bit misty with low cloud but gradually the cloud lifted and sun came out. The southerly wind was light and we had perfect flying conditions with a good turn out. I don't know how Ian and Chris do it but I understand the supply of virgins to sacrifice in the Stoke may be a factor

I had a good day except I lost a my Depron Eurofighter when I inadvertently let it go too far down wind and it was too far away to get the orientation. I blame Ian Redshaw as he was flying it when it disappeared Good news is the airframe was found at the side of the Ashbourne Belper road - bad news is that it was devoid of all 3 servos, receiver, motor, esc and LiPo which had obviously been ripped out by whoever found it first.

Ian had a short fly of my Tiger Moth and showed me it really could be made to roll properly (I've never managed it) and stall turn to the right as well as the left (I've only ever managed it to the left!) The man's a genius and I hate him

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 16/10/2017 00:38:34:

Never believe the forecasts. It was bit misty with low cloud but gradually the cloud lifted and sun came out. The southerly wind was light and we had perfect flying conditions with a good turn out. I don't know how Ian and Chris do it but I understand the supply of virgins to sacrifice in the Stoke may be a factor

Geoff

Honestly? Send them down here....it's nearly the winter equinox 

Edited By cymaz on 16/10/2017 06:19:57