Ripmax Bolero

Anyone out here built the Ripmax Bolero. Looks a great plane and build quickly and easily, but no reviews or build logs to be found. I know RCM&E did a review few months back but was the electric version. I have built one to the manual with a ASP .52 up front. When balancing found I had to add nearly 200g of lead up front. Is this normal? seems an awful lot of additional weight. Would be great to hear from any others out there with this plane, your builds, logs, flying etc.

Advert

Nigel R mine coming in 3130 grams withe the ASP .52 includes the 4.8 v 2300 Nimh battery also a HKing on board glow system.

Agree it does look identical to the Bossanova just a different colour scheme. Interesting if anyone has had both and and can identify any major differences if it is remodelled. Don't mind because the Bossanova gets some good reviews.

I've got a spare ASP.60 2'stroke that would almost make up the weight deficit at the front, not sure it would fit the cowl the though, also the recommended Engine size is .40 - .55 2 stroke so the .60 would be overpowered, few sites state in big bright red letters the Bolero is not a speed plane should not be flown fast as it will cause structural damage. So a little wary of putting in a larger engine in at this stage, unless some has tried it successfully.

.40 - .46 power is right John, as the .55 is a .46 size motor dimensionally.

The broad wing chord and large surfaces are not as you say for a speed machine, as anything but perfect fittings

Will result in flutter, and bits falling off.

This is one time to put the .60 on something else, as the low speed handling would be lost with the excess forward lump of the .60

Try the .52 on an 11 x 6 and get to know the plane

Apologies guys but heavy lightweights are no fun. Yours is a perfect set up Nigel.

A buddy at the field stuck a .70 4 stroke on his Wot 4 and immediately transformed it, loosing all the low speed handling, and the quicker landings on the Wot 4 landing gear resulted in a few new undersides.

I digress, our flying style gives us choices, and the Bolero is a beauty.

A modern .46/.52 4s does some and more of what we once knew of .60s, and the extra half pound of .90 can be a step backwards with a lightweight aerobatic

All with respect, and looking forward to your successful report

I did see a review on a website I can't remember/find again. A guy said they had three Boleros in his club and they all look and fly beautifully but two had the Horizontal stab fail in flight - the third was grounded for strengthening!

Have a look at the Saitos 82/91FS engines. They weigh about the same as a 2St with perhaps a nicer power band for this type of model.

This YT vid shows a guy with a Saito100 on his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZudjvDci4A

• 1 month later...

Ok all thanks for the advice etc regarding engine size. Drawing a blank on this Ripmax Bolero

Decided to stick with the original recommended engine size as you all recommended, and fitted the ASP .52 2 stroke. Well within its recommended .40 - 55 stroke range.

Have since found it actually needed an additional 500g (a whole 1lb) of lead up front bolted to the engine mount to balance as per instructions and the radio battery is also against the front bulkhead. Seems very very excessive.

Have written to Ripmax regarding the IC / Glow engine fit for the Bolero and balancing, heard absolutely nothing back at all................

Now stuck with a very heavy plane and somewhat reluctant to even try a maiden weighing in at 3500g and states it should be 2900g for glow????? will be a heavy over weight handful, not what i bought it for, Very frustrating does not meet the specifications as advertised.

Cant find any build logs, videos photos, nothing online about the Bolero with a Glow engine fit.

Would appreciate any pics or advice from any Bossanova IC / Glow pilots if they had the same issues or is just the Bolero that doesn't meet specification.

Thanks Denis your building my confidence.smiley

Yes my CofG is at 110mm from Root LE (the plan shows 100-120)

Its just the massive extra weight issue with all that lead, not encountered anything like it before, and of course its increased wing loading (mass) and the effect it will have on flying eg greater speed.

Some dimensions:

Wing Area = Root chord 18 inch - Tip chord 13.5 inch - Span 59inch Wing Area 936 sq inch (6.5 ft Sq)

Advertised: 6.4 lb (102 oz) this give a wing loading of 15.69 oz per foot Sq = Wing Cube load 6.2 (3D capable)

Mine coming in at 7lb 11oz (123 oz) giving a wing loading of 18.9 oz per ft Sq = Wing Cube load 7.4 (Gen Sport Scale)

Mathematically it looks like it will fly, just not as slow or have as much vertical, if any 3D performance.

Guess i will just have to bite the bullet wait for a calmer day before the maiden now.

Just to add - we have two club members with Boleros, one an ace aerobatic flyer and one a keen and very good sport flyer. Both have moved their cg back to 140mm to improve the flying - they now describe them as excellent!

My own is nearing completion, and is currently at 140mm without lead...

We will see... sarcastic

Steve.

Oh heck John, I know it is too late but have noticed in the manual and Bolero pics that the elevator and rudder servo mounts vary.

The later Bolero shows 2 servos mounted in the tail, which does add to your C of G woes

Yet other Bolero pics show the push rods exiting the model at the rear, for forward servo mounting ?

This is a mystery, as yes, rear mount servos are more positive due to short push rods

But others seen to have gone for push pull in some cases, and this does reduce nose weight.

Am still enquiring for an answer

Steve that sounds a little more encouraging could be the forward CofG is airing on the manufacturers safe and cautious side for first flights. 140mm would be more achievable with much less lead upfront.

Great too hear or see the final product Steve, eg engine size weight and many balancing you needed.

Denis mine has just the one rear mounted elevator servo 55g with the shorter and more positive action push rods.

I did think of fitting a closed loop elevator system to lighten the the tail end. This is still an option just figuring out how to fit it in, the servo bay is a bit tight width wise, without some major rejigging of the existing plates and formers. Must admit I didn’t realise there were different versions out there, unless it’s what others have done themselves to improve.

Just wish the manufacturers had been a little more detailed and descriptive in here manual regarding the IC version of what looks like a great plane, and responded to email help requests.

Every line tells a story, thanks chaps......

Maiden yesterday - hardly any trim needed from take-off! Five excellent flights on a very cold day.

The model weighs 2956 grams (6lb 10oz) with no ballast other than a dastardly pilot (I don't like empty cockpits!). The LiFe battery is stored underneath the fuel tank, everything else positioned as supplied. This gave a cg at 135mm, which seemed perfect in the flight tests. Thanks to Phil for his Bolero experience on this!

The engine is a Saito FS82b, with an APC 14x6 prop. Flies vertically out of sight - all the power it needs.

Presumably due to the thick wing, the model slows up rapidly when power is cut - surprised me on the first few touch & goes, but this makes power-on landings a breeze. Knife-edge flight needed a rudder mix of 8% down elevator, and my first (not very good) tries at prop-hanging indicated no detrimental tendencies. All the staggers were pilot-induced disgust.

This looks like becoming a regular go-to model.

Steve.

Steve, thats brilliant news.

Where did you have your elevator servo mounted in the end ? was it tail end or up front ?

Thats quite a rearward CofG, 15mm behind the max recommended rear position.

Guess your club colleagues have the experience with this to model to advise though.

Going to shave some lead of mine now.......push that CofG back a bit at least to the 120- 130 point possibly more.

Thanks for the update, really appreciated.

Hi John,

The elevator was at the back - as per design.

The CG is not as rearward as you think - I always do a calculation from Gordon Whitehead's 1980 book "RC Scale Aircraft", which has several formulae to help scale modellers determine where is a safe, conservative cg for scale designs. The formula gave 125mm for the Bolero, so 135mm to make it more aerobatic was a fair guess. In the air, inverted flight needed just a smidge of push-elevator for level flight...

As I said before, mine is the third Bolero to fly recently at the club, and I suspect that there will be more smiley.

Steve.

• 2 months later...