Small petrols any good ?

john stones 1 - Moderator

Seen a few comments on here and elsewhere, saying at 10-15cc petrols aren't up to much ?

Gent at our fields been flying a 60 glow size Extra for sometime now with an Evo 10cc, I was impressed the first time i saw it, even more impressed when he flew it, Petrols are noisy ? this one isn't, throttling is excellent, power it delivers is very good, very frugal on fuel, did i mention it's quiet ? puts the glow 60's to shame.

Advert

Same gent turned up with his Wot 4 today, fitted an Evo GX2 in it (petrol with pump carb) gave it 5 mins on floor running, just for reassurance then flew it, the tone of exhaust is very inoffensive and quiet compared to a glow 60, throttling's great, power's good, uses next to nowt fuel wise, and models almost clean when he lands.autumn 2 002.jpgautumn 2 004.jpgautumn 2 005.jpgautumn 2 006.jpgautumn 2 009.jpg

I have an Evo 10cc in a Frog Mustfire. Yes, it's quiet IF it's turning a suitably large prop, and if it has the mkII silencer. It's a 40 size mount and about equal to a 45-50 glow for power, probably a shade better with large props but worse on smaller props. It needs 20:1 mix fuel so needs it's own can of petrol as 30 or 50:1 used in most other petrols will kill it. Your model also needs to carry around the ignition and a battery but you won't need a glow start battery in your field kit. It runs ok, and as a talking piece or as just something different it works ok. Would I buy another? Not unless it was really cheap. Really, really cheap! I'd take a 4 stroke glow over it any day, in fact that's what I've done since owning this one.

assembled 1.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/11/2017 20:29:22

I seem to spend half my time agreeing with Bob C where the Evo 10 is concerned.....teeth 2

I agree with pretty much everything he's written above.....on the original silencer it was flippin' loud but the Super Quiet unit from an ASP or SC52 fits & knocks a few dB off.

In terms of power I had it my Evo in a HK Soar 40 as a hack model & it flew fine, not sparkling & very limited in the up lines but it was OK...about the same power as a 46 glow 2 stroke I'd say......I've just changed the Evo for a 10cc glow motor......this has allowed me to remove 1oz of lead from the tail (cos the glow engine overall is lighter) & the model will now pull vertically almost from a standing start.

As the learned Bob observes....an interesting engine but as an alternative to glow power....no, not really at this size.....

I do not question the ones at your club are quiet, I can only share my experience. I have one of the first none pumped carb GX10's and as standard with recommended prop it had a very loud bark. Over propping helped, then fitting an Irvine 53 baffled silencer (same as the ASP 52) helped some more and eventually ended up with a Weston throttle pipe. Even these mods still meant it would not pass the 82 db test so is not used at present until i can figure a way to stifle the bark. Don't get me wrong it ran well on 20-1 but as Bob and Steve I swapped it out for a 4s glow.

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/11/2017 21:11:59:

Need to mix it's own fuel as it varies from others, that a big deal ? Puts a glow 60 to shame re noise level is what i claimed, Mk11 exhaust or not ? i've no idea, there's a picture of it though. And it's quiet.

It's big deal if you take along another petrol model and a glow model - 3 cans to carry along too.

I can only say that mine isn't really any louder now than my well silenced 60 two stroke but I had to swap the silencer and run a 13" prop to get there. It's not really quieter than the 60 either.

Well you could hold the glow or other petrol responsible for that as well, you're not taken with them Bob, fair enough, you own one so speak from experience, i was pleasantly surprised by them, ran very sweetly and flew the model well, does it compare to a glow 60 power wise ? no and i never expected it would, propped up, well like most engines it'll turn a range of props, nowt new in going bigger to quieten, we've been doing it with glows for a long time. Don't know what prop he's running, i'll have a look next time.

John, yes they do run ok and the lower ouput is to be expected with petrol as the fuel. For a change of pace and as a general talking point they are ok, I'm just saying that the issues that I listed are why tin general they are not more popular.

Certainly there are long threads discussing ways to get the small NGH to behave but I don't own one so can't speak from experience. There are other brands but I think the Evolution and Saito (at a price) are probably the pick of the bunch.

I spent more than a decade riding Italian motorcycles and I am well aware why there are more Japanese bikes around. I put running smaller petrols in the same bracket as riding less common bikes, it's fun to be different but not always the most efficient way to go.

Posted by Lee Damms on 03/11/2017 12:37:52:
Hi John, you've obviously missed seeing mine at the field. I've got 3 of the 10gx mk1 type without the pump. I much prefer them to my glows, rain, snow, blow hot or cold they just run. 20:1 mix just like my mates 4 stroke petrol saito.

Must be too quiet to notice Lee. face 1 how you doing ? not seen you for a while.

I think like most things John it's a compromise & you must decide what's important to you....IMHO the Evo 10cc compares with a 46 glow 2 stroke or a 52/60 glow 4 stroke.....there are pros & cons to each power plant.... I'd list them as follows

Pros

• Turns a wide range of props (up to 13" no problem but I settled on a 12x6 for my model)
  • Starts, runs & throttles very well.
  • Extremely economical
  • Reliable
  • Cheap-er fuel

Cons

• Expensive to buy
  • Heavy (extra battery & CDI unit add significantly to the overall weight)
  • Quite messy...less oil on the model than a glow but it's 'orrible stuff....I needed thinners or Jizer to shift it rather than a baby wipe & meths used for glow residue
  • Not very powerful for the capacity but as previously mentioned compare it with a smaller glow engine & that issue goes away....(makes the engine relatively heavier though)

For me the Cons outweigh the Pros as a practical power plant but I do like it as a slightly quirky "something different" engine. Mine is currently residing in it's box but I'm sure I'll bring it out & play with it again one day...wink 2

Warbirds are also ideal for a nice big 4s motor and 4s sound so much better too whether (petrol or glow) . For me glow is much more convenient . Hopefully early next year I’m putting a nice 4s 180 glow in a Hurricane 😊 . The small petrol motors are often not cowled in . Is that because access is frequently needed or just the big HT leads etc? A number of our club members used to run small Evo petrols (I often had to help them tune them)but now most seem to use glow or bigger DLE engines. They did then have noise issues and we had a number with faulty HT leads. The GT 22 OS petrol runs nicely and is quiet in stock form . That’s a smallish petrol 2 stroke I do quite like.

I can't speak for other brands but I would be happy to cowl my Evolution 10cc if it were appropriate. Since converting it to use a pumped carb mine seems much less sensitive to needle settings so I don't see any reason to fiddle with it. As long as the ignition battery is charged it is just fill and go. Being petrol they do run a bit hotter than glow so any cowling would need good airflow and an effective baffle.