What do I buy

Alan Gordon 5

Advert

I would Also vote Acrowot. It will be nice in the ARTF version as that is quite light plus it is cheap and very easy to buy too . With more focus on winter flying due to the high wing ( helps mud and puddle clearance on aileron servos)a Wot4 Mk 3 ARTF would also be a good choice. They are also very aerobatic and a great all rounder.

With a 10cc 4 stroke I would say try get something close to or under 5lbs. Ideally under from what I have read the acrowot is actually quite heavy I think you would maybe think it is under powered with a 60fs. I have not owned an Acrowot so I cannot speak from experience but I have flown planes at 5.5-5.75lbs with hot 50 class engines and they do not really have that good performance. I looked at the Acro but not for long and the Wot 4 has no details on weight either and from what I have read building a Wot 4 Classic 52" wingspan would be best anyway.

I personally bought a Great Planes Super Sportster @ 4.75lbs and balances with a 55 class 2 stroke you have a very broad engine choice because of the outstanding weight and design to balance with a 46FX. I have an Irvine 36 with a Genesis pipe that I could use if I want a light engine. A 40 will provide excellent performance at that weight and give great flight times but still able to use a 46 and 55 2 strokes and 52-62 four strokes all able to provide very good sport performance. It is also very aerodynamic so not a lot of drag on the airframe so your not wasting thrust just keeping it up to speed fighting the drag

I would look for something that is 5lbs aerodynamic and balances with the weight of your engine fairly well.

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/11/2017 16:52:30:

No way does the H9 Pulse need an .80 four stroke. I flew mine for years with a saito .62. Plenty of power using an APC 13x6. But I fully appreciate there are those whom prefer a model to fly with huge gobs of power rather than it's wings............

One probem you'd have with a larger engine would be prop clearance. A 13 x6 just cleared for me.

The only reservation I'd have regarding the Pulse would be it's lack of great robustness. If your field or your landings aint good, steer clear of a Pulse.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/11/2017 16:56:44

Ahh but Percy, as I'm sure you would agree, its almost impossible to make a bad landing with a pulse

Tartan, kit built acrowots used to fly just fine on 48 4 strokes and even 35 2 strokes. I think these days we have just got used to more power. I wouldn't have any hesitation flying an AW with 60 4 stroke. slap a 12x6 on it, somewhere near 10k rpm, perfect