Durafly (Hobbyking)new Canadian Vampire compared to old Vampire

Rocker

• 7 months later...
Advert

I dont know about the new one but my experience with the old one was/is not that good . I was given this model as new as owner decided to it was too big for his car ? He bought it on a whim as it was offered in a clearance sale from HK .Lucky me I thought .I soon found out why it was in the sale .The first and biggest problem I came up against was that the booms are far too bendy ! this will allow the tail-plane to change its angle of attack making the model almost impossible to fly. I sorted this by adding carbon strip 1.5 x 3.0 mm top and bottom of the booms and setting them in with cyano . A quick and easy fix and a great improvement and now very stiff vertically but still bendy laterally . I may fit another carbon strip to sort lateral bending later. I have flown it and it performed OK with plenty of power and easy take off with edf sounding fairly jet like after balancing the fan etc . The fan as supplied was way out of balance and hitting the edf case.and sounded awful. This was all replaced with a 12 blade unit from E-bay costing just over £25 . Needed a lot of balancing to get it to run smoothly and sound like a turbine . Next thing is to re-paint it as the silver finish is very good/excellent camouflage against a grey sky and not much better against a blue sky. The rest of it is OK for a cheap foam model and molding is rough around the edges .

Have had a Vampire for quite a while now and I find it to be a great little model. The tailboom mods are well know and are all over the Web for details. I think stiffeners are included in later versions. Fit the biggest 4S battery that you can shoehorn into the nose and the standard fan will give five or six minutes duration depending on how you fly it. I still have the original fan unit and it does rattle a bit at part throttle, but is otherwise fine and sounds good. Retracts have been reliable although the nose leg needs a bit of beefing up. We often have three up together in the circuit doing lazy eights and they look great. Best hundred quid's worth of modelling fun that I can recall.

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/07/2018 12:04:21

I believe the Canadian version arrives with its tail booms reinforced.

I've got one of the originals. The nose leg is weak, and a common mod is take the undercarriage out and save the weight. Not sure about the big battery option. I fly mine with the recommended 2000 4s, and it flies OK. Would not much fancy it more nose heavy, but I haven't tested it. It certainly needs at least 50% of elevator to hold it inverted /level with the 2000 4s.

I am another advocate for the Vampire - i have had 3 of them!

First lost due to not having reinforced the booms. Pulling out of a fast diving turn simply deflected the booms down resulting in an even steeper dive. I now reinforce with 2 carbon fibre strips at right angles to stiffen the booms in both directions.

For the second I upgraded the EDF to a 12 blader and it totally transformed the Vampire - gave it enough power for nice big loops. Lost that one due to the Velcro giving way on the battery plate. Lesson - don't rely on the Velcro adhesive. Stick with hot glue.

My current one is using the stock unit which is a little lacking in power - but so was the original. Fly it with that in mind and it's great fun.

Oh and Don is right about the front nose leg - lacking a bit in sticky stuff on all mine. But re-seating using Gorilla Glue soon sorts that.

By the way, it is a great glider too!

Yip makes a great PSS glider.

I have three of these models, one standard and two kits. One kit got the twelve blade EDF treatment (4S 3300 battery) and the other was built (in two hours) as a PSS glider. Great bang for a buck.

hk vampire pss.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 17/07/2018 13:52:19

I have two as well - as pointed out the u/c isn't great, especially the nosewheel steering. I took the u/c off, filled in the wheel wells, and hand launch, goes away a treat. Stiffened booms a must. Here's one of mine after being treated to a paint job after it went in the river due to the LVC kicking in on a very cold day last winter: no ill effects, everything dried out and off it goes again. I fly on 2700 4S, and have recorded 16 min flights - use power to climb then glide for a few circuits, very smooth and relaxing. But full on low passes are fun too! Fantastic little model.

dsc_2139.jpg

The canopy is brittle and can break very easily; but I made a plug and vacformed my own.

I am on my third two originals and the Canadian. The Canadian comes with reinforced booms. I find it better to removed the retracts and hand launch and then she is a real flyer. I use 2.7 4S batteries. With the first one I had a radio problem when flying straight and level it suddenly dived to the right into the ground. The second just became worn out with constant use so retired. If leaving the retracts on the front nose wheel needs attention. I hit a rough patch with the Canadian on take off and knocked the nose wheel off. Having said that a great plane to fly and that's why I have had three.