Scam

sharpy1071

On Monday I placed 4 planes for sale on the this forum. Tuesday received a request for some photos from [email protected] which I duly sent. Wednesday relied the following letter which I believe to be a scam. So I look forward to comments on this. I have not answered nor will answer any emails from him. Brian

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 29/11/2017 13:40:15

Yes, an old scam.

You pay the "Shipping agent" the balance and six months later the bank tells you that the draft is a forgery/fake.

I had one like this years ago and being a nasty, suspicious, cynical old man I contacted the police.

A police man came round and explained how it worked..

I said that I could not believe that anyone could be so gullible.

"Oh Yes" came the reply "A man in this village got taken for £5000 when he sold his car. He lost the car and the money."

In my case I was selling a model on another, since folded website. I asked £150. and the "Buyer" said he would send £3000 and I could take a bit more than the £150.

Trust me, Nobody give you anything and no stranger trusts you with £3000. The alarm bells drowned out Big Ben

Posted by Engine Doctor on 29/11/2017 10:44:44:

hello Sharpy . Not a good idea to put your e-mail on this forum . Perhaps mods can delete it for you .

Thanks, ED, I can only delete the pic, not edit it. Sharpy, if you blank out your email address in the pic, reload a fresh image and I'll substitute it....

Pete

You have to watch out for these scammers . I recently had my e-bay account scammed . The cheeky so and so's ,needless to say a eastern based lot were selling really dodgy stuff on my site getting all the profits sent to some dodgy site and I was being charged the fees! Not only that I could have been done if the police thought I was selling it.

If you haven't used your E-bay account for a while then check it out and look at the e-mail address for payment received for any sales you make . Even e-bay couldn't or wouldn't say how they gained access but sorted it all very quickly

Change your e-mail account password every now and again as well as any bank passwords .

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 29/11/2017 17:11:58

• 3 months later...

He is certainly suspended here so how he's managed to email you is a mystery, Peter.

Perhaps you could PM me with details of the email, ie his address and the account he sent it to. Could it be that he has approached you from outside the forum rather than a PM?

Pete

If he has replied to your general email, maybe it is time to change your email address, create a new one, change your Paypal, ebay, etc to it over time and not use the old email for "live" work, eventually deleting it when all transfered.

As he has your email, your security has been compromised and could lead to identity theft from other dubious sources...

Tip: Never reply to suspected emails, even for fun, do not reply at all and delete/block!

Posted by Paul Marsh on 26/03/2018 20:30:10:

Tip: Never reply to suspected emails, even for fun, do not reply at all and delete/block!

Sound advice, working in a financial institution we have to go through mandatory training in this (even though I dint deal with the public or accounts but the regulator cant be refused!) these courses show how the scams work but also the value to the scammer of a reply from a potential victim (even if its an invitation to "go away"

They buy/share lists of email addressed that may or may not be real people so they cost about $0.01 per name, if they get any sort of reply the resale value of the email name jumps to about $0.5 - they then sell these one to other scammers and the cycle continues

Resist the temptation to play with them or invite them to depart - you are just indirectly giving them money

I got an identical email to the one at the top of this thread, down to the last detail.this morning

He is STILL registered as a member

I have replied telling him that the seller (Not ME) will ONLY accept cash in English bank note upon collection and he will NOT post or otherwise dispatch anything.Collection only.

I need to know how he contacted you, Peter, through the forum or a direct email - as I requested in my earlier post.

Let me know by PM - I suspect he may possibly be following this thread.

As Dave said, continuing to communicate with him is not a good idea....sad

Pete