Which Hitec Radio

GaryG

I recently ended up with 2x Taranis X9d plus. I cannot get either to bind with the supplied receiver. No matter how many you tube videos I watch, or how many forums I check with, the issue will not resolve itself. I have decided that i am going to replace the radio with either the Hitec flash or Hitec aurora. Does any one have experience of both Hitec radios? I only have 4 aircraft to replace receivers in 2 trainers, arising star and tutor 2. Zĺin z50 and Phoenix glider. Gary

Edited By GaryG on 26/12/2017 10:18:55

Advert

I was faced with this choice some while ago. Should I go Aurora or Flash 7 then working out will I ever need 9 channels I opted for the 7. Still has all the needs of mixing switches expo etc etc I like the throttle warning set up and throttle lock even on switching on you are asked are you ready to transmit.

Rc Plane Flyer .. Flash 7 Dept

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 26/12/2017 10:28:47

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 26/12/2017 10:30:34

@GaryG, don't give up on the Taranis, it is one of the best value for money radios there are with features that put many much more expensive radios to shame. They are also very, very reliable and the Rx's are also brilliant value for money too.

One of the problems I had when I first tried to bind my Taranis to a Rx was holding the Rx bind button down at the same time as plugging the Rx power in. In the end I enlisted the help of my wife! The sequence of operation I use is, put the Tx into bind mode (annoying beeps, beeps) then hold the Rx bind button down and plug in Rx per supply (red/green flashing lights on RX). Unplug Rx power supply, put Tx back into normal mode then switch Rx back on. Works every time for me but now I also have a switch that I use with the Rx battery to make it even easier and I no longer have to bother the wife. I am assuming that you have a FrSky Rx to go with the Taranis and not some other make!

Edited By Ron Gray on 26/12/2017 10:57:47

Hi GaryG,I'm a Futaba man, but I agree with a colleague's Ron Gray statement that he does not have to give up on Taranis. I do not know if you tried to contact owners of Taranis on the forum?, one of them is our moderator Mr. BEB.I believe he will give you real advice.

Merry Christmas

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/12/2017 11:08:39

Devcon, I didn't think that receivers had to be on eu protocols. How do you do that? I select bind within the transmitter options. Switch on receiver and push bind button. Thats the normal bind process, isnt it?

Edited By GaryG on 26/12/2017 11:08:49

Edited By GaryG on 26/12/2017 11:10:36

GaryG - as long as the protocols on the Tx and the Rx are the same they should work.

So you have selected bind on the Tx and it is emitting the annoying beeps? Next hold down the bind button on the Rx BEFORE switching the Rx on. Switch the Rx on with the bind button still held down and you should now see a flashing LED alternating red/green. Switch the Rx off and switch Tx to normal mode or switch Tx off then back on again. Then switch Rx on, you should now see a steady green LED on the Rx.

I've had the Aurora for about 5 years, it's been faultless. Having the touch screen to programme it is very intuitive. An excellent radio and I've been very pleased with it. I moved away from Futaba as the cost of the receivers was just going up all the time, the Hitec receivers have stayed the same. I've also bought a Hitec clone from Airtek but not used it yet. I saw that it's being discontinued so there should be some deals if there are any left.

Gary, if your are going to switch to Hitec, go for the Aurora. I have an A9 and a Flash 8. Brought the Flash on a whim as my itchy finger hit the buy button, I did some research prior too but missed the fact that although it is good radio it is only a reasonably well featured basic starter level set. Not as well featured as the A9. It even say's that on Hitec's site somewhere. Although it has telemetry capabilities they are limited compared to the A9. It is also not upgradable nor has computer connectivity.

As for the Aurora A9 & A9X being discontinued this is news to me, Hitec have been selling the A9 alongside the A9X since the A9X came out and they will still fill the gap between Flash8 and 16ch set feature and price wise.

So there we go my tuppenny's worth.