lathe problems

Ernie

good morning guys,

I'm trying to clean up a wee lathe. It's a clarke metal working CL 300

I've got most of it working fine, but am having problems fitting the apron. This is the part that is right in front, and moves along from side to side. It has a handle that is connected via a gear to a big cog. The cog is intended to mate with a rack that runs under the bed.

Now, the problem is that the cog and rack do not mate properly; ie they are not tight together, so there is an awful lot of slop, and I can't see any way to agjust things.

if all tis is greek, then you can't help, but if it's crystal clear, then your my man

ernie

Advert

My posting has vanished .I'll try again .I said if the bearings of the chuck are worn it increases the risk of tools diving or climbing over or under the workpiece.This applies even if the wear is not noticeable in general use and the chuck appears to run true. Likewise the tailstock. if out of true. Also ensure the toolholder base is truly flat.and sits down really solidly. I was beaten to it re the elongation of the bolt holes but do make sure the rack is straight. You can add shims to pull the rack and gear closer together if needed.

I had issues with mine when using power feed, the whole handle would turn but when the hand hold bit went over centre the gears would try and jump, forcing the slide to try and bend itself.I did replace the gear set for slide,.and must have meshed the gears when fitting them, I must have the manual for it some where.

good morning lathites, and thanks for all that info. All I want to do is make a wee bit for a quarter scale parbellum machine gun.. What a can of worms has opened;;A whole new set( of problems.

It does seem to me that an awful lot of lathites spend their times modifying their lathes, so that the can modify them even more..

Thats life, I suppose

Thanks guys

ernie

Hi Denis and thanks for that.

Yes, I do use blackburn models quitre a bit..They are very good.

I'm always a bit underwhelmed by williams plastic machine guns, so I decided to try to make my own.

Ive had all the metal bits etched from brass sheet, and am now working on the various sub assemblies.

But, I do have to make the muzzel, and I reckon the only way to get a good job is to turn it.on a proper lathe

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 29/12/2017 13:47:52