Clearview - take care

Tony Harrison 2

A lot of antivirus packages work on signature for executable files; if they're not in the database, or the signature doesn't match, the program is treated as malevolent and the AV deletes files; I have a recurring issue with one bit of software that my AV keeps deleting, despite it being 100% safe!

The issue with Kaspersky AV is that it's Russian and the US government has apparently detected that as well as sending suspicious files back home for analysis, it may also be detecting keywords in files and sending those home too (it's been suggested that words and phrases such as top secret or classified might trigger this behaviour).

Percy & Martin, yes, I accept your reservations, and I've always had misgivings about using Russian-owned software - but as a private individual I pay attention to industry opinion, and Kaspersky consistently scores very highly. I am aware of its tendency to be over cautious, but in a-v software I regard that as a good thing. I have never before had Kaspersky reject any downloaded software on grounds of identifying a trojan or other major hazard. As a professional I use PCs intensively and have much commercially sensitive data on various drives, so I'm happy to pay for top a-v software.

Percy, Clearview is a r/c flight-sim package, recommended as an alternative to Phoenix. I never got to grips with the latter, finding it clunky, erratic, and prone to strange behaviour.

rgds Tony

I've recently dropped Kaspersky too. It has become far too intrusive and was slowing things down as well as inhibiting quite a few perfectly safe sites and downloads. Now reverted to Windows defender and Malwarebytes. I also use Revo uninstaller and Ccleaner to keep things clean and tidy, keeps things running without old and junk files getting in the way.

I was an AVG paid up member until they decided to change the interface etc...and it started to play up,now with Defender and Malwarebytes...works fine and no issues. I know someone who had the wind put up him when recent reports pointed out about the Kaspersky stuff been Russian owned/ operated....he does his banking on line etc ......worried about getting cleaned out... kulou

ken Anderson...ne...1...cleaned out dept.

Posted by Rick Tee on 01/01/2018 14:20:56:

If you downloaded Clearview from their home site: **LINK**

Then you can be sure its a false positive. I have been using Clearview a long time with no issues.

I believe the top virus/adware software atm is TotalAv.

Edited By Rick Tee on 01/01/2018 14:24:42

Agree with Rick, I just spotted this post

Even the most stubborn novice would be " on the sticks ", ready to fly in 10 hours or less using Clearview

That is flying straight and level, turning and landing in one piece

They can then get down to the field without the normal erratic start, better prepared IMO