Chris's Vicomte 1916

Hi Chris, coming along nicely always good to see big pieces of balsa coming together yes. Been really busy since or return so not had much time to get back to building frown but have managed to construct two hedgehogs laugh not as elegant as yours but will do the job teeth 2.

What is the green material you use between the clamps and the balsa , looks a very useful addition to the workshop .

Paul.

Advert

Thank you all for visiting & certainly commenting, gents.

Maybe it’s just me, but your encouragements are really motivating me when feeling a building dip.

@ Dwain > ‘Batterjig’ should be fine for a patent. Or even ‘Batjig’, man… (pun?). Due to its manufacture origin, I will patent mine under ‘Varjig’.

@ Paul > now that you have three hedgehogs, I’m getting a bit envious. I guess I’ll have to make a fourth one…

Regarding the green ‘monsters’, they are stained wood (beech?) strips. When I was an ‘official inspector’ of The LotH’s new apartment building, I saw them for the first time ever. They are used to get a perfect equal space when installing large mural or floor tiles. When I asked where I could get some, the foreman gave me enough of them to build a full squadron of Hawker Furies. They come in different colours depending on their thickness. I’ll have a pic soon (if I don’t forget).

I’ve been going on with the diagonal bits of the aft fuselage today. In fact, the more fiddly bits since I started the fuse build up. More to follow soon, gents.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Tile Spacers Control

Hello again,

Another step forward as the aft fuse triangular bits and the fuse diagonals are now completed at the top and bottom. To be honest, I’m quite relieved they are. Fiddly stuff those diagonals (for me at least). frown

313_vic_fuse_diagonals_900.jpg

If you have a look at the left part of the pic, I’ve been duplicating the ‘rounded off’ sheeting from the side panels to the top - and bottom - of the aft fuse as well. angel

I’ll come back to that later when the pins can be removed so I can take some closer pics. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Diagonals Control

Thank you, Mark, but I'm only trying to approach the precision that you're achieving into your builds. Not really close to catch up yet though. wink

And yes, I remembered the picture of the 'tile spacers'.

Especially for Paul, here are the genuine local ones. Ranging from 1mm up to 5mm thickness with appropriate staining.

353_vic_tile_spacers_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Precision Control

Good work on the diagonal joints they all look well fitted, I never manage to get the joint cut at the correct angle and end up with gaps every where. Sheet sided fus is my preferred option and a good solid film colour to hide any blemishes teeth 2. I am well Impressed with the colour coded spacers yes

Paul.

Thank you for visiting, Paul.

The sides of the fuse went really well as most of them are square angled (or close to). But I agree, the top and bottom ones are another 'cat to skin'.

If you remember, before I started Vicky's build, I improved some of my basic building 'tools'. The 'shooting block' was one of them, allowing to adjust to any cutting angle. Just so glad i did that one in due time. yes

032_sanding_ block_900.jpg

On the other hand, I really have to be a bit attentive as the intention of Vicky's covering is to be as 'translucent' as possible, but then also showing all of the wooden bits. I'll better be careful then... surprise

By the way, the local & genuine 'tile spacers' are giving you a big 'Gracias'. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bits Control

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well 👍 You look like you are doing just fine buddy. The trouble with translucent covering is that you're joints need to be spot on. There is nowhere to hide! Having said that, on the Ballerina, I had a lot of trouble with a former that came out undersize on one side, it happened to be one of the formers that held the stringers..... Anyone who looks really closely will see the balsa 'Packers' that I used to correct that one😁

The joy of working with wood is that there is always a way of fixing the errors that are not structural in a build without it showing too much.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Chri I meant to say at the time but missed the gap so to speak.While I can't fault your maths I can your sense of direction. If you point the nose of the motor to the right you must move it bodily to the "LEFT " to bring it back on centre not the right as you were saying.which will take it more off centre .Did you spot it in time ? I hope so. Loving the build it is very good and should look nice under a transparent film covering. Hakuna Wassisname Cheers John

Posted by onetenor on 17/03/2018 02:49:04:

Hi Chri I meant to say at the time but missed the gap so to speak.While I can't fault your maths I can your sense of direction. If you point the nose of the motor to the right you must move it bodily to the "LEFT " to bring it back on centre not the right as you were saying.which will take it more off centre .Did you spot it in time ? I hope so. Loving the build it is very good and should look nice under a transparent film covering. Hakuna Wassisname Cheers John

Oh Heck Sorry McG Ignore this posting .I missed the rider "When looking at the firewall " I should really pay more attention .Slap wrists and change specs .You were dead right all along. I'm a silly old something or other

Paul, those spacers, or at least very similar but in plastic, are easily available here, window and door fitters use them to pack out and align the frames into the window openings. They are colour coded for thickness too. Next time you see a window fitter working in your street tap him up for a handful.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

@ Mark > thankfully I didn’t have anything to ‘bodge’ so far. But then it’s still a long way to go before Vicky gets finished. wink

@ Onetenor > no worries, John… and no need to ‘slap’ anything… In full size I learned to use the norm ‘pilot sitting in the craft and looking to the front’, so most props are rotating CW. Somehow, modellers seem to use the opposite... or both. That’s why I preferred to specify in my former ‘Sunday offset literature’. By the way, if you order an APC tractor prop from HK you should specify CCW if you have the choice, but from Banggood it seems to be CW… or the opposite… The Big Squadron Leader only knows. surprise sad

@ Andy & Paul > I’ll certainly be keeping an eye open for ‘window fitters’. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Rotation Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 17/03/2018 18:54:45

Hi to all,

After the last fuse diagonals had the opportunity to fully dry, I took a couple of pics. Let’s get back to the ‘rounded off’ bits.

Following some flight reviews, the only weakness of the Baron/Vicomte fuselage is (could be?) the top and bottom junction area between the ‘solid’ front and rear build up part.

José (JVM) was apparently aware of the possible problem as he added an horizontal 6mm balsa cross-strip to the top & bottom behind F3. IMHO, it just brings the hypothetical weakness a bit further backwards. frown

I decided to use a thinner (3mm) cross grain balsa strip together with a poplar gusset at the four corners, spreading the load onto a much larger/deeper area.

319_vic_fusegussets_900.jpg

The rounded off bits give a larger glue area for the diagonals as well - instead of just being butt jointed - spreading the loads even more and also give me the opportunity to ‘hide’ the gussets in a more curved vintage way. yes

Here is closer view with the focus more at the bottom.

320_vic_fusegussets_900.jpg

Let’s just hope now this all makes a bit of sense… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Load Control

Thank you for your motivating comment, Dwain.

Maybe I give to much importance - and building time - to how things are 'looking' but, to be honest, I can't help it... angel

Anyhow, quite chuffed with the rounded off parts at the four sides of the fuse. smiley

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Curves Control

Hi to everybody,

I realized I forgot to mention an additional bit when I was building up the fuse sides. It can actually be seen on different previous pics, but wasn't really mentioned during the build progress. blush

The item - in fact two of them - is a spruce 3x3mm longeron acting as a reinforcement ‘doubler’ for the wing seat and my planned front hatch.

318_vic_fuse_sprucedoublers_900.jpg

As one of my next tasks will be assembling the centre section of the wing, I took those parts and discovered a large birch ply rectangular bit… question surprise

After some head scratching, I found it on the JVM plan but not on the Svenson one.

330_vic_fuseply01_900.jpg

If you remember my earlier ‘doubts’ about the wing being held by that large balsa block at the front, I can confirm now that José had the same kind of apprehension.

333_vic_fuseply02_900.jpg

That large ply piece would do a nice joining job obviously, but it seems a lot of additional weight and anyway not a possible application regarding my front hatch.

Birch plate & balsa block for the scrap box and really glad with my small spruce doublers now.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Scrap Control

That is an interesting comment about the props direction Chris . As a modeller I have always regarded props rotating CCW to the left from the front facing the front of the plane. Conversely for CW.rotating props.Obviously the reverse of that from the cockpit .IIRC correctly some Merlins ran one way and some the other though I can't say which way is which...

That is an interesting comment about the props direction Chris . As a modeller I have always regarded props rotating CCW to the left from the front facing the front of the plane. Conversely for CW.rotating props.Obviously the reverse of that from the cockpit .IIRC correctly some Merlins ran one way and some the other though I can't say which way is which...