Chris's Vicomte 1916

Advert

Hi gents & thanks for your comments,

@ Paul > well no, I haven’t decided yet. My intention was - and still is - to build up the centre section, present it to the fuselage and then - hopefully - decide the way to go with the mounting method. My problem now seems that the plan and the wooden bits I have are not ‘corresponding’. Which is obviously ‘very nice’ for a first balsa bashing… sad

@ Onetenor > thank you, John… thank you… and thanks… That’s what I tried to explain, modellers are obviously nice & great people, but they seem to ‘leave their machine’ when referring to prop rotation. Can you imagine the Captain of the Mississippi Princess having a quick swim to check his port or starboard sides? surprise

Regarding the Merlin, I dunno really, but maybe one of the Knights could have a word with young Prince Arthur? … angel

@ Dwain > no probs, just to be sure that I ‘got the message’ probably. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Princess & Prince Control

Hi to all again,

I would like to proceed with the wing center section now, but as there are a few ‘obscure’ things (to me), I asked for JVM’s assistance, but José is in Crete, GR now. So some patience needed, I guess.  angel

Let’s focus on other bits then. Since I first saw the early Baron plan - or the Svenson one which is the same - I had a strange apprehension regarding the tailskid. IMO, that straight dowel glued to that triangular balsa bit wasn’t going to be nominated for a Contest of Elegance, I’m afraid.  surprise

337_vic_tailskid01_900.jpg

Pencil & eraser at hand, the Belgian curves (those Froggies already stole the Belgian fries) went out of storage and let’s have some drawing…  wink

Then I suddenly remembered that the laminated vertical tailplane already had some nice curves and - of course - I still have that ‘ready to go’ ply core. The top part of the rudder became the chosen candidate.

342_vic_tailskid02_900.jpg

Even after soaking the strips for nearly 24 hours, I discovered that laminating 1,5mm birch ply isn’t really as easy as doing the same with 1,5mm balsa…  frown

A few hours later, with the assistance of the central heater, this is what resulted so far.

347_vic_tailskid03_900.jpg

Maybe I should start a small ‘cottage manufacture’? …

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Lamination Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 21/03/2018 19:23:08

Hi Chris I struggled with laminating plywood but had some success by steaming the strips over a kettle. They were more pliable when we'll steamed, word of warning though it gets very warm at the business end of a kettle wink good pair of gloves required .

Paul.

Thanks gents,

I'll keep an eye at the skid, Don. But I guess it will also depend how much of those '50 flights' are going to end with a landing... angel

Steaming would obviously help, Paul. But I don't even have a kettle in La Grotte. I only have an old electric oven and I doubt it would be a good idea to have some water boiling in there. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Skid Control

Hello again,

I decided to go on with the small bits till I get some info and feel ‘comfortable’ to start the wing center section. Still following Peter Miller’s Purple Plan, I guess. yes

At the moment, the tail skid is getting some ‘prime time’ and the balsa bits were cut, adjusted and everything glued together.

355_vic_tailskid04_900.jpg

Next job was having a tube (snake outer) inserted for the bottom rigging wires and finally a dry fit to check the overall appearance. I still seem to think the laminated skid is an aesthetical improvement… cool

368_vi_tailskid05_900.jpg

The skid assembly will also become a test piece for some ‘brown paper’ covering as that will be a ‘first time’ one for me as well. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Covering Control

Thank you all, guys.

... a piece of metal, aluminium, piano wire, gold (?), brass...

I guess I'm convinced now that I should do 'something' to the skid bottom. blush

When she came home, I asked The LotH if I could use some of her Swarovski stones as they appear to be quite 'hard & solid'... The sudden move of her arms and eyes to the ceiling made be instantly believe this wasn't the best way to enjoy the next pre-summer holidays together.

So, let's keep it 'cheap & light'. I project some scrap bit of a 6mm wide tie wrap and a drop of epoxy could fill the bill. Comments appreciated of course. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Swarovski Control

ps > good luck with your 'Pitts Specials', John... cool

Dear MotH,

I know you love to build

but my kitchen tools are not

things you should shape your plane with

I know you feel no guilt

My tupperwares, they dissapear

in function of your needs

Your head is with your airplane blog

I don't know where, in Leeds?

I can forgive

from time to time

that your creative mind

finds usage for this stuff of mine

I should spank your behind!

But now you go too far my friend

Swarovski's are a NO!

And if you touch them anyways

I wouldn't let it go...

Thanks a lotH for your understanding...

Iris

BE - BRU/CTR Rightful Property Control

Edited By Iris Vieghe on 24/03/2018 08:30:26

Posted by Paul C. on 24/03/2018 10:02:05:

Hi Chris it looks as though plan A has crashed and burned so plan B will need to include getting back into the good books of LOTH . No further mention of swarofski is advisable unless it involves presents for Iris wink.

Paul.

Damage control dept.

Owww, now that's good advice Paul. I think you guys should go out and have a beer and a talk! wink

Greetings from a sunny Belgium,

Iris

Hello everybody,

I really got the message, Dear Iris. Anyhow your Swarovskis are safe as they should be too heavy anyway to use at the back end (of the plane). angel

But please, gents. I beg you, no metal bits, screws, rivets or bean ‘stuff’ at Vicky’s poor tail. wink

@ Paul > you’re totally right about getting back up in The LotH’s hit-parade. So first thing I did when coming home was to serve her a well balanced gin tonic… cocktail

@ Robert > the 1,5mm ply strips were only soaked in water for 24 hours. It worked, but I believe Paul’s ‘steaming’ method would even be easier.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Weight Control

Sorry folks, but no real session today at La Grotte.

The Melbourne stuff this morning combined with an exquisite sunny & nearly warm afternoon here in BE made me act like a mega lazy Southern European citizen... blush

In addition, I got nominated to 'Honorary Foreman' by The LotH as a crew of painters is coming over tomorrow to her appartment and I have to take full responsibility for the re-decorating phase.

No real building progress in sight unfortunately... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Deco Control

Hi again,

Well, it seems that tomorrow will be another 'Foreman' duty day, but at least I managed to have a short building session at the end of today's afternoon.

In fact, I finished a ‘long term’ job started quite early in Vicky’s build.

Ages ago, when I was asking José for some tips, he advised me to fabricate a small jig to ‘form’ the cap strips for the bottom ribs as he had some problems of breakage trying to fold them even wetted. The Vicomte uses a Clark Y airfoil and indeed the Phillips entry is quite ‘short’ making the bottom curvature rather pronounced.

And when the Master says… surprise

372_vic_capstrips01_900.jpg

Nope, the ‘thingies’ aren’t miniature Langlauff-skis for Gaston… but the jig did a nice job. As I only could make two of them at the same time, I had just to put an end of two strips into water at the start of a building session, putting them in the jig before leaving and trying to remember the procedure for the following session... and Gaston was very helpful as I asked him - very nicely - to stay close to the jig at the time of my next visit... yes

A ‘long term’ job indeed as I needed 28 of them, but then I made 34 strips instead. And I know why… blush

This is what it would... should … could look like after completion.

373_vic_capstrips02_900.jpg

(pic courtesy of JVM)

The second job was to cover the tail skid with brown paper as a test piece. More about that later as I discovered so many different methods for that type of covering that I very probably picked up the wrong one…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Cap Strips Control