Anyone got an answer for my Answer?

Mike Bell

I am nearing the finish of building a Cambrian Models The Answer vintage style model and would like to pick the brains of other Answer builders regarding thrust lines.

There are no details on the plan for down or side thrust but I have never seen a model of this style that didn't need a bit of both. I could guess but it would be good to hear from anyone who has details of a successful set up for this design to short cut the trial and error. For info I am installing a PAW 1cc diesel.

Thanks in advance

Advert

Two down, two right, (degrees). All the designers of that era did those numbers.

I have often cogitated as to why they are magic numbers. Possibly the same reason why, having built the beta version, the designer redesigned the wing to put the centre of gravity under the main spar.

I admit to cynicism. But I bet I am within a successful maiden flight right.

Hi Ray , thanks so much for sharing .This is magnificent, first the engine ignition, the fingers and the arm all the time is on one inch from propeller smile o, kneeling the starting position and lifting from the ground without the help of the hand ..... it was the time of great masters / scholars....Thanks and Congrats Mr Peter Robinson smile d

Still great fun and can almost smell the ether ! . Are we all becoming too soft ?smiley We all started our engines like that , still do with small engines . You cant restrain a small model like that without fear of breaking it while starting it . A starter is out of the question for small diesels as anyone who has done there apprenticeship on diesels will know .. Yes we all got nicks and cuts from props but got on with it or used a chicken finger cover. and us older flyers will all remember getting diesel fuel into cut fingers on a cold frosty morning, it stings like .........angry.........well it stiiiiiiiiiiiiings . Small diesels are a far cry from the powerful larger engines we now use Yes I agree . restrain model and use a starter etc etc. I believe that electric motors lull inexperienced users/flyers into a false sense of security and IMO is more dangerous for a new flyer  than an IC once the battery is connected. As a new flyer new to Diesel engines we all made many trips to the field  trying to get the engine started and learnt about keeping hands  out of the way of props before we ever got the model flying . We also used wooden or nylon props that were perhaps more forgiving ?

We regularly have diesel days at our club , most using popular vintage diesels like Frog , AM, DC etc. My current 2ch diesel models are Frog 45 With Frog 150. Ben Buckle Auster with Frog 150 and a Eros from 1948 plan scaled down to just over half size with an ED Hornet.

I had a Cambrian Answer some years ago , a Great little model . Yes 2 deg down and side thrust worked great on that and is used  on all the above models.

Good luck

Edited By Engine Doctor on 21/01/2018 13:44:17

I run small diesels - well, Oliver 2.5cc in combat models but once the engine has started i always work from behind the prop arch. I saw a mate at school many years back nearly lose the top of his knuckle with a PAW 1.5cc engine - made me think.........

Agree with the point about electric motors though . i think we are lulled into a false sense of security with the relatively low voltages they use but the ability to draw many amps...........

Edited By Mike Stevens on 21/01/2018 14:53:25

Edited By Mike Stevens on 21/01/2018 14:56:04

Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/01/2018 13:36:51:

. I believe that electric motors lull inexperienced users/flyers into a false sense of security and IMO is more dangerous for a new flyer than an IC once the battery is connected.

Good luck

Yes, and Earth's flat and the moon's made of green cheese. teeth 2

Edited By PatMc on 21/01/2018 17:22:57

Posted by PatMc on 21/01/2018 17:22:25:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/01/2018 13:36:51:

. I believe that electric motors lull inexperienced users/flyers into a false sense of security and IMO is more dangerous for a new flyer than an IC once the battery is connected.

Good luck

Yes, and Earth's flat and the moon's made of green cheese. teeth 2

Edited By PatMc on 21/01/2018 17:22:57

Oooooh, you do love a good argument.

Posted by Mike Bell on 22/01/2018 19:33:52:

Thanks Engine Doctor, Tim et al. 2 + 2 it is then.

Diesel versus electric - no contest. The smell, the skill in starting, the noise aaaahhhh. The blood dripping from the fingers is a badge of honour.

Psst...... mine's electric, but with a dummy cylinder head......

Tim devil