Electric Cars.

Cuban8

I am still waiting for the Zappi IO integration to go live "proper", then I think I will move to Intelligent. We will lose out a bit on export, but have much lower cost home battery and car charging. I'm not sure it will make a major difference to our bills, but it should be more convenient.

1 hour ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Understood.  Is there any particular reason why you do that rather than set it to 80% in the Octopus app?

Not really, when I first used it I set the limit in the Octopus app then changed it to make sure that it worked based on the car app’s settings. I haven’t changed it back!

Just to clear up on a points I raised a couple of weeks back and have now had the answer back from Octopus. The low rate applies from 11.30 - 05.30 and is for anything in the house / EV. The scheduled low rate times throughout the day are for EV charging only, normal house use will be charged at normal rate during those times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Just to clear up on a points I raised a couple of weeks back and have now had the answer back from Octopus. The low rate applies from 11.30 - 05.30 and is for anything in the house / EV. The scheduled low rate times throughout the day are for EV charging only, normal house use will be charged at normal rate during those times.

How do they know what you are using during those times?  It all goes through the sane meter doesn't it?!

35 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

How do they know what you are using during those times?  It all goes through the sane meter doesn't it?!

They're talking to either the car or the charger, and they know how much has gone into the car either from the car or charger. Any extra and that will get charged at the "normal rate" at that time.

I've just switched to IO myself this past fortnight and so far so good. It just feels a bit odd effectively putting Octopus in charge! Its a bit like saying to your chauffeur "have the car ready for me at 8am tomorrow"! 😃😃😃 

Cheers

idd

Edited by IDD15
spelling

13 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Not according to my last bill, everything in the car charging period, usually 5pm for us in Oct is at the lower rate, when comparing the bill breakdown to the Ohme stats. What Octopus are saying is that you only get the cheap rate while the car is smart charging outside the fixed period. Last month we gained circa 40kwh at the low rate due to plugging in at 5pm and getting a charging slot while the oven and dishwasher were on. Maybe this will change in future.

BTW since getting our Mini I haven't put any fuel in my ICE estate since end of August, my wife now refers to this as the aeroplane car......

• Haha 1

This is the actual reply to my question to Octopus (I will be checking my bill tomorrow to make 100% sure!)

Thank you for reaching out to us. When your smart schedule is active, only the electricity used for charging your EV during the specified times will be charged at the low rate. If your EV is plugged in but not actively charging because it is already fully charged, the electricity consumed during that time will be charged at the standard rate.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
Tom

It seems we have some ambiguity then over how Octopus charge for electricity used during smart-charging slots outside the 6-hour window.  There are many on the Tesla Motors Club forum who think, like Frank, that ALL electricity used during these slots is charged at the low rate.

On a separate point, Frank, I don't know where you are located geographically but I'm very surprised that Octopus is allocating low rate slots at what I would have thought were peak times during the early evening.  Is it a regular occurrence?

10 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

As a newcomer to this tariff I'm struggling to understand all aspects of it.  As I see it, you tell the Octopus app how much charge you want and when you want it by.  So how does Octopus ever calculate that you need 20 hours to charge your car?  I'm assuming you're using a 7kW charger?

It doesn't, all it is telling me is that there is a low rate time slot during which it can charge the EV, it doesn't mean that it needs the 20 hours.