Hitec anyone else thinking of jumping ship

geoff dales

Advert

Unless you need the extra channels or features now, there is probably no reason to jump ship immediately, and when you do it would be worth investigating that the complete system meets your needs, i.e. if you are going to bigger models then having a range of receivers/power management systems that meet your requirements, becomes a factor. Friend with a Hitec Aurora has just bought a Frsky Q7 to learn Open Tx and see if it's for him, certainly a big change from the Aurora programming. Somebody else I know went the Jeti route.

Looking at what is becoming available from Hitec now, I think we can conclude that they are rationalising production. At a guess there is insufficient profit in their higher specced Tx's (& Rx's) to continue production, let alone R & D, for what is essentially a pretty limited market. I don't think it is the end of the world as we know it - Hitec have just made a sensible commercial decision.

Furthermore, on the average club field how many flyers are using Tx's capable of controlling more than 7-8 functions, and of those, how many are actually utilising more than 4 or 5 channels? -------- I rest my case.

Edited By Old Geezer on 25/01/2018 10:59:30

Posted by Old Geezer on 25/01/2018 10:58:28:

Furthermore, on the average club field how many flyers are using Tx's capable of controlling more than 7-8 functions, and of those, how many are actually utilising more than 4 or 5 channels? -------- I rest my case.

Edited By Old Geezer on 25/01/2018 10:59:30

I wouldn't rest on your case for long. I think the number of channels offered is almost irrelevant these days, the new kit is about far more than that, offering far greater programming flexibility, full telemetry capability, etc. However, once you start using stabilised receivers, and why not, then you do need at least 8 channels.

Posted by Andy48 on 25/01/2018 11:44:39:

However, once you start using stabilised receivers, and why not, then you do need at least 8 channels.

Why do you need 8 channels, surely 5 would be enough, aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle and gain/flight mode, yes more channels are useful but not essential. Get the right receiver and 5 channels would do dual aileron, dual elevator, dual rudder or separate rudder & tail wheel, so a 5 channel Tx could drive 7 or more servos easily.

You are incorrect here, certainly for FrSky gear. To control the stabilised receiver it needs 4 channels. One for the gain, two channels to select the mode, and one channel to initialise it (although this can be done from the receiver depending on how it is mounted. Both the 6 channel and 8 channel receivers use channels 9-12 for these functions, still leaving either 6 or 8 channels for your various other controls.

There are stabilisers which operate with just the need for on and off, so Aux 1, on channel 6. And the usual 4 channels, 1 - 4

The other work is done on the ground using rotary trim switches, and miniature reversing switches

But the option remains for single servo aileron, or twin servo aileron, in which case channel 5 is used up on the twin servo aileron.

It does remain possible to stabilise most models from 6 channels from non generic stabilisers.

Posted by Andy48 on 24/01/2018 19:36:12:
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 18:32:31:

It might surprise some folk to discover that Open Tx was around 25+ years ago, but oddly most seemed to avoid the particular brand of radio offering it it back then........ Funny how times change.

It would surprise me greatly. OpenTX requires a transmitter with a computer in it and I doubt there were any/many around in the early 1990s that were within most peoples price bracket. Around that time I had a new fileserver, with just 20Mb of memory!

Secondly OpenTX is a developmental control system, and even if it was around 25 years ago, it would bear no relation to the present version of OpenTX.

+1. OpenTX is conceptually similar to the Mpx firmware present in TXs like the 3030 and 4000 and I have no doubt the OpenTX team were in part influenced by it. However the code was definitely not ported - the main reason Mpx did not progress the firmware was because they were unable to do so (the programmer died in a car crash and it was insufficiently documented for anyone else to move it forward). As a result they had to go another route (boosting the functionality of the Evo firmware) which resulted in a perhaps more accessible but less flexible and feature rich result.

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 19:40:36:

But Geoff, is it really​ as expensive as it seems? If you buy one, and it gives you excellent service for 15 or 20 years with minimum issues, then maybe it's not as bad as all that......... Like the Mercedes ad points out, quality doesn't cost you, it pays you.

Sorry to disappoint, but consumer tech moves so fast now and people are conditioned (rightly or wrongly) to change their kit regularly; almost no-one wants to "invest" in something expensive based on it lasting for 15-20 years. This is part of FrSky's success - physical quality is good enough to last 5-7 years, but it's cheap and gets regular functionality upgrades and bug fixes over time.

The "buy once, hold 20 years" model is also commercially problematic for the supplier - the only way it can be supported is through very expensive TXs and supporting kit (RXs, telemetry sensors etc), and there are only so many people prepared to pay for those. Mx seem to have mastered this in the (though not UK), but personally I'd be very wary of investing in their TXs at this point given what has happened to JR and Hitec in recent times - I'd rather spend less on a non-premium set that I can afford to change if they were to cease to exist.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 25/01/2018 15:18:48:

There are stabilisers which operate with just the need for on and off, so Aux 1, on channel 6. And the usual 4 channels, 1 - 4

The other work is done on the ground using rotary trim switches, and miniature reversing switches

But the option remains for single servo aileron, or twin servo aileron, in which case channel 5 is used up on the twin servo aileron.

It does remain possible to stabilise most models from 6 channels from non generic stabilisers.

You missed the point of my post further back. Many things are possible with just a couple of channels, but these days systems offer so much more flexibility and if you can have 16 channels at no extra cost then why not use them? The gear is very cheap but the functionality superb, and what's more its reliable.

In any case why have to faff about grovelling inside a model at a hard-to-get-at stabilised receiver with rotary trim switches and minature reversing switches when you can do all that in seconds from the transmitter without even touching the receiver? Even better when you can adjust things like the gain during a flight.

Edited By Andy48 on 25/01/2018 17:25:36

Most of my models are 20 to 45 cc Petrol and I prefer to use dual batteries which takes up one of the 9 channels unless I use a y lead. Add 2 elevator and a rudder servo choke throttle and engine kill . Ailerons preferably 2 channels retracts and flaps and you soon don’t have enough channels. Hence I’m looking for an alternative to hitec which has been faultless but has nt kept up with my needs unfortunately.

The one thing I’m trying to get my head round is firmware versions and receiver compatibility. Been looking at various websites and t9 is about £500 where as hobbyking is £350 for what seems to be the same radio. It says eu version with Uk plug now is this the same radio as t9 sell in respect to firmware and comparable receivers

Geoff, yes the HK EU version will be the same as the T9 with regard to compatability, the cost difference is down to the fact that T9 is a small retail business, have to pay full VAT, maintain a UK based shop and as Percy says, provide a full backup service. Also it's worth checking whether both suppliers provide the same accessories with the tx. I know the X12 comes with a sturdy ali case, neckstrap etc from T9.

Geoff, also note that the £ price shown on HK is their dollar conversion, when you go to buy this will be turned into US$ and then your payment method will turn it back into £s, so you normally end up paying a bit more than the shown price, but as Bob points out above the big saving is the VAT as your transaction is with Hong Kong.

One other problem if buying from Hobby Kings global wharehouse is that you may be stung for customs duties.I had to pay about £15 when I bought my Taranis a few years ago and was caught again when buying a QX7 from Gearbest just before Christmas. T9 do give excellent service, but do apparently cost a little more.

I'm a happy A9 user after using Futaba for 20 years.....why jump ship when the radio I researched and bought, is a pleasure to use...because they (Hitec) have decided at the present time not to progress and develop a higher spec(more channels) TX..... no I'm like a few more-satisfied with what I have, and I'm sure it'll give me a few years service.......

ken Anderson...ne...1.... happy Hitec dept...