Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51

Advert

Hello Dave,

I have not progressed much on this mainly due to work and other projects. However, I still intend to build this and have all the bits ready to go. I have a hangar 9 hellcat artf on the go at the moment (intended for flying practice with a similar sized warbird) and once that is done I will carry on with this.

A friend had a H9 Hellcat. Flew really well but needed very little elevator deflection as is normal for a warbird. The only problem with it was the totally useless wire legs on the almost equally useless twist and turn retracts. They conspired to make its ground handling somewhat akin to a pig on a skateboard...if the skateboard were make of some sort of wet pasta.

Get some half decent retracts and oleo legs and you will be much better off

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 29/10/2019 11:35:25:

Thanks Jon, which retracts did he use? I've got oleos for mine and the eflite units seem really good, no slop in the locks and nice operation.

They were mechanical plastic things. Not sure if they came with the kit but they were really useless. Even takeoff was an achievement! Your setup will be much better, especially if you rake the gear forward a smidge.

Anyway it flew fine on an ASP 91 4 stroke

• 4 months later...

Been a while due to many other things getting in the way, but now I am getting started properly on the Mustang.

w006.jpg

Wing ribs glued to the lower spar. I usually put the top spar on immediately, but for this it seemed best to do this prior. Made one mistake by glueing the ply wing joiner on the rear of the spar rather than the front, but I can just mildly change the design so it's not an issue.

More tomorrow to give the pva a chance to set properly.

Jacob

Hi,

Just a couple of interesting points to your Brian Taylor Mustang.

When you get to the fuselage construction you need to add a ply doubler from the front bulkhead

back to the rear wing seating. The fuselarge does fracture at the wing leading edge. It only needs

to be 1/32 ply.

Second point all though a bit late now, Unitracts are in bussiness as I have purchased a set of

Brian Taylor Hurricne retracts three months ago.

It can be a bit hard to contact John Hope,

Bit more

W013

Front centre section done with the famous Mustang leading edge starting to exist

W014

As the designer specifies on the plan, the d-box is skinned from the outer retract rib to the tip, and then the wing is flipped over and the same done there. This stiffens the wing but leaves access to the aileron and flap areas. There's a great build on RCSB ('Mustang second time around' ) which I'm copying extensively, and he found this method worked as long as the wing is jigged when flipped to skin the other side. So I'm going to copy! I made up the skin...

W015 ...then wetted it and put it in position (no glue). I will leave it overnight, take the magazines off before work to let the wood dry fully and glue tomorrow night. Never bothered doing this before, but making an extra effort to improve quality with this (even rejected the first wing skin I made due to an unsmooth finish!)

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 02/03/2020 21:32:43

Wahey

W22

Initially when I placed it on the board I thought it was horribly twisted. Then I realised I had not factored in the fact that the wing was partially sheeted. Once I had, then I checked and it's probably the straightest wing I've built. Pleasing! Stiff now too.

Next is to build the other half of the wing onto this half.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I have been watching your P-51 build with equal enthusiasm, since I am building the same kit. Regarding those C Jet retracts, how did you get the strut on the outside of the retract? Custom work from C Jet? Also did they convert them to electric as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Mark

• 1 month later...

Sorry Mark, I have been tied up with work recently. Hoping to get back on this soon, I've done some more but not posted yet.

I asked century jet to do the retracts like that to match the plan, and I believe they offer the electric conversion. They're pretty heavy, I might try to get lighter oleos at some point.

I was talking to a friend the other day who has managed to get in touch with Unitracts, however the promised retracts are proving very slow in materialising. So they are still going, but appears to be very much part time.

There are a few engineers set up to do retracts, Might be worth looking at some of the others. Used to be a few listed in RCM&E though i have n't checked lately.

The friend also mentioned he had used a company in Burton, I will see if I can track down their name.

Cheers

Danny