Pedantic

kevin b

Sarik Hobbies are up and running, and I wish them every success.

However their advert on the site (look to your right and down) has me a little concerned.

It refers to them being the largest UK store for model plans.

The word "store" in this context is an American word, not English (UK).

In English a store is somewhere where items are kept, unless the word is prefixed with another such as "Department" or "Village".

I think it could be argued that Outerzone and Aerofred both store far more plans, even though they do not sell them (Aerofred do offer to print them for you - at a price and will also supply laser cut parts, I am given to understand). They are also both UK based.

So an English company is using American terminology to promote its English heritage ?

It would be interesting to see what the Advertising Standards Agency think.

smiley

Edited By kevin b on 25/02/2018 23:22:16

Advert

However, 'shop' in the context of an on-line source is equally unusual. Perhaps 'store' is a better compromise as Sarik has premises (I assume) but not a high street presence so 'web site.' is equally inapplicable. I think you are over thinking it and I'm someone who abhors the use of 'disinterested' when 'uninterested' is what the user actually means so I like language to be precise.

Geoff (Pedantics Anonymous inc.)

In terms of T'Interweb "Store" is the accepted term for an on-line shopping portal (as in Appstore) so I would suggest it is appropriate and since this thread is entitled "pedantic" then I feel justified in pointing out the origin of the word is old french....

Middle English: shortening of Old French estore (noun), estorer (verb), from Latin instaurare ‘renew’; compare with restore.

Well Store has been in accepted use here for a long time now/ In'58 + worked in Lewis's Department store and there were chain stores etc. we were taught about in business studies. Then there is British Home Stores a well established nationwide business. There were others I can't recall now as well And these terms were in use between the wars and in some cases before.So I say stores is not just American. Thinking about it Selfridges and Harrods were I think always known as stores.And I believe the word was used to sound GRANDER than just a mere shop. Hence the village shop opening next door and becoming the "VILLAGE STORE "A language historian might gainsay me or retail history expert..Wow Haven't we got off topic. Sorry Mods.

John O/T

i don't understand the op's rant?

Do you have a window box?

Spring is coming and you could plant some bulbs.

Google Terrarium and really up the interest!

even visit your local library and ask for the book "if it's hot, should I poke it?"

im sure at the last straw there's a " look at you're knees," book, its interactive, look at you're knees after every online post, if they twitch you lose .cheeky

The english language is constantly changing. Words, their meaning and usage can be subject to change by succeeding generations. It's all about how words are seen and used. It is as simple as that. Can't get away from it. Should I have used a E instead of e for english in context of language, I'm not sure. Has been raining all today. Gee whiz, it's a change. Been checking models, listening to rain. Can you listen to rain ?. Again, I'm not sure. Anyway, no complaints. Time of a beer.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/02/2018 00:21:05:

Bored are we gents?

Yes, the weather is terrible isn't it. Even worse is the effect no flying has on the psyche of the average aeromodeller, most distressing.

Never mind chaps, Matron will be round with the happy pills soon! wink 2

BEB

Picked mine up from the doctors last week.

Only managed 2 hours flying so far this year and thought we haven't had a wind up for a while, though I do honestly get cross some times at the abuse of the English language. There again maths and physics is more important in education these days. It's just a shame that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to do a better job at it than indigenous Brits.

Oh well. Back to the padded cell. devil