35 mhz - any value

rcaddict

Posted by Dave Cunnington on 08/03/2018 09:44:48:

I'm new back into this sport and whilst most are on 2.4 at the field those on 35 are always very careful before switching on, think I'm sticking with 35 from a cost viewpoint, as well as trying to keep it simple as I'm still a learner

Keeping it simple or adopting the "KISS" principle is easier with 2.4 sets . No crystal to worry about , no worry about shooting anyone down and no peg board to bother with . 35 meg is still usable yes but if you want simple then 2.4 is the way to go unless you want to play with an FrSky taranis smiley. If cost is a consideration then yes use your 35 meg gear as fewer people use it now you are less likely to be shot down ;but fewer people using it does mean that those that do are less likely to think about other 35 meg users and switch on , something to think about perhaps.

Frankly, all this talk of being shot down is smacks of paranoia! I started flying with single-channel and a super-regen receiver, which meant ANY transmitter on ANY frequency could have shot me down. In over 50 years of flying RC, I only ever got shot down once - and that was at a show with supposedly strict transmitter control! It never happened at any club to which I belonged, though I am aware that it happened at others.

I don't dispute that it is possible, or that it has happened, but frankly, there are far more likely reasons for crashes than being shot down by someone switching on your frequency.

OK, perhaps on 35 MHz you need to be a bit more disciplined - but is that a bad thing? As a society, we are getting very lazy about safety discipline - you only have to look at our roads to see that! Cars now mollycoddle you to such an extent that drivers appear to believe they are immune from injury, and therefore take risks that wouldn't have been dreamed of 40 or 50 years ago. Perhaps Clarkson was right! If you want to improve road safety, fit a commando knife in the middle of every steering wheel, pointing at the driver!

I do wonder if the same is happening to our hobby. Modern equipment has become so cheap and reliable, that all the safety checks we took for granted years ago are now largely ignored. I'm not convinced this is a good thing!

So to those who have 35 MHz gear, I say "Keep Calm, and Carry On"!

wink

--

Pete

I used to fly at the RR club in Hucknall and one 35Mhz channel was so notorious for losing models (78 I think) that it was banned from use (probably unofficiously, but wisely). Various receivers with spectrum analysers were tried and it showed activity on the suspect channel but we didn't where it was from. Eventually it turned out that there was a fishing pond nearby and someone was using a bait boat on 35 Mhz channel 78. It cost a few very nice models.

I think the manufacturer of the bait boats had a visit from the authorities though what the ultimate action taken was I don't know but he was stopped from supplying boats operating on 35 Mhz. Those sort of problems have disappeared with 2.4gHz.

Peter Christy writes "Perhaps Clarkson was right! If you want to improve road safety, fit a commando knife in the middle of every steering wheel, pointing at the driver!"

Actually long before then TE Lawrence (of Arabia) who was a keen motor cyclist said that all cars should have a spear with its point resting on the drivers chest with its shaft attached to the front bumper. It didn't help him unfortunately as he was killed crashing his Brough SS100 without a car's being involved at all.

Geoff

Posted by Devcon1 on 08/03/2018 12:50:09:

Am I correct in thinking some clubs may have resurrected 35mhz style pegboards and practices to manage frequency clashes with video transmission systems for FPV pilots.

Possibly, but not for the video, there were some people using 2.4 ghz for the video transmission and this interfered with the 2.4 ghz radio link so they reverted to 35 mhz for the control and 2.4 for the video link. Most FPV now uses 5.8 ghz for the video link so this is no longer an issue and those flying long range (not legally I may add) have gone to one of the UHF (459mhz) frequencies.

But the frequency boards might be for the 2.4 ghz video transmission which doesn't video hop like the 2.4 ghz control systems. But with the video band being set electronically and not by an old fashioned crystal this could still cause some issues as on a lot of the video transmitters you set the frequency while actually transmitting